Thoughts on Aventador vs Aventador S

oufan2929

I posted this somehow as a guest, so thought I'd make it actually under my log in...

Seems like there’s only $100k in difference between the 2012 Aventador and 2017 S now. That gap will close, and 5-10 years from now, what do you think the difference will be? I figure $50k or so... so cost to own a ‘17 over the ‘12 is only $50k less repairs the ‘12 will have that the ‘17 won’t? Considering one or the other. ‘12’s and their quirks/potential issues don’t bother me much. The thing that makes me want a 2017 are the rear wheel arches (love em) and the AWS... warranty/repairs don’t bother me on a ‘12. A ‘13 isn’t out of the question and I don’t see the point in spending more money on a ‘14-‘16. 

Just thinking out loud here... thoughts? Also, I’ll put 30-40k miles on it pretty easily. All of my cars get driven daily. So maybe there’s only an $80k difference in a low mile 12 and 17...

I think you'll find the general consensus among the members here is "go as new as you can afford". 

That being said, most will say to avoid the '12's because of the quirks and potential issues. I'd think as the line ages, overall prices may sink a bit, but you'll always get a better car with the S over the standard, and newer isn't a bad thing. You'll end up paying for it one way or the other.

Unless you are a hands-on mechanic type who has no issue digging in, then maybe the '12 is right for you. 

There are far more qualified members here that can respond.

43 minutes ago, porter said:

S is so much better than base. In fact, the S is in many ways better than the SV IMO.

This, much better road car, original Av is a bit boring to drive, more gt car 

1 hour ago, porter said:

S is so much better than base. In fact, the S is in many ways better than the SV IMO.

I totally agree. As an overall car, the Aventador S is a better car in quite a few ways  compared to the SV, not withstanding the SV looks which is LOVE!

Wow, better than the SV...That's saying something. Looks like my next step needs to be to go drive one. If my new Ford GT application gets declined which most likely it will, I'll probably plan on an S. I need a car with all of the theatrics... Doesn't get much better!

My 2 cents worth, the technical improvements on the S are good but I'm not fussy about the cosmetic changes namely the front.

For me the best looking is the SV then the 1st gen AV 

1 minute ago, RDW said:

My 2 cents worth, the technical improvements on the S are good but I'm not fussy about the cosmetic changes namely the front.

For me the best looking is the SV then the 1st gen AV 

Can't blame you there. I'm just the opposite. My favorite of those three happens to be the S. And I wouldn't complain about owning any of the above either!

Ya the shark's teeth on the front just don't sit well with me, besides I thought Lamborghini was a Bull...haha

14 hours ago, porter said:

The S strikes me as more of a "Gentlemen's Aventador" all the bite, but just more refined. I may be off on that, thoughts?

S is more of an all rounder as easier on the driver to be comfortable with, SV is more Special but harder work, more of a sensory thing, stupidly hard suspension noisy rattely cabin with all the carbon and rough ride and steering by comparison. Guess you would call it raw or more old fashioned, SV makes you feel like you are in something unbelievable from the second you sit in it because its not an easy car, S is the same compared to a normal car just not compared to an SV, in reality the S is a better car the SV is exactly what it was supposed to be a road compromised more hardcore track version, but it is cooler. 

On 12/6/2018 at 8:35 AM, porter said:

Agreed 100%. The S feels so refined and easy to drive - the changes in the S are honestly the biggest reason I ordered the SVJ vs picking up an SV. If they can combine that much better driving characteristics with a more emotional (SV-esque) delivery it'll be THE car to have.

RWS makes the car feel so small you'll contemplate it being a dd.  

2 hours ago, Luxeous said:

Agreed 100%. The S feels so refined and easy to drive - the changes in the S are honestly the biggest reason I ordered the SVJ vs picking up an SV. If they can combine that much better driving characteristics with a more emotional (SV-esque) delivery it'll be THE car to have.

RWS makes the car feel so small you'll contemplate it being a dd.  

I do think it'll be a partial dd alongside my TTH. The S definitely seems to have more draw for what I'm looking for...

8 minutes ago, diabloking said:

Just think RWS technology was done on the Nissan 300zx back in the early 80's!! 

Yes, Honda Prelude had it, some Mazda's had it, even Nissan's own Skyline R32 had it.  And, in a way, Mercedes' Multi-link rear suspension was a simplistic version of it too.  Those cannot be even remotely compared to today's tech though.  Many of the Skyline R32's actually ended up defeating the system citing its questionable reliability.

My wife's 6 series actually had it too now that I think about it. I feel like it's more noticeable in the AV because the car felt SO big before - now you can u-turn on a side street without looking like Austin Powers. :badgrin:

21 hours ago, VCR said:

Yes, Honda Prelude had it, some Mazda's had it, even Nissan's own Skyline R32 had it.  And, in a way, Mercedes' Multi-link rear suspension was a simplistic version of it too.  Those cannot be even remotely compared to today's tech though.  Many of the Skyline R32's actually ended up defeating the system citing its questionable reliability.

I figured the modernization had a lot to do with it. I remember it as a kid vividly but it never took off.

Also, RWS seems more suitable for AWD cars than RWD since it's a bit unnatural for sustained powersliding/drifting.

The S is great... RWS makes a big difference for city driving and parking. Unlike my previous Av I don’t feel like I’m docking a yacht when I go to park. It’s as nimble as my DD.  Personally I like the look of the fangs and the ability to raise and lower the rear wing. It’s less Hotwheels factor, and more of a refined supercar.