My Method to Open the Headlights for Cleaning

Stimpy

• 1 month later...

I managed to get mine apart without removing the plastic and am looking for a suitable product to reseal the headlight.

Sikaflex 221 looks possibly ok, any thoughts that the group can share for other sealants to look at?

7 hours ago, caminperth said:

I managed to get mine apart without removing the plastic and am looking for a suitable product to reseal the headlight.

Sikaflex 221 looks possibly ok, any thoughts that the group can share for other sealants to look at?

Why not black silicone? Remember, the sealant does not need to make an airtight seal because the units are not sealed by any means.  There's 4 big vents to atmosphere on the bottom of the housing. And due of the shape of the housing, water ingress is not an issue, so you're not trying to get a super water tight seal either. But what you want is something that's easy to cut through so you can more easily clean the headlights when they fog up again. Silicone is easy to cut through.

Something to consider. Has anyone used ceramic & anti-fog coating when you open these units to reduce the need to re-do in the future?

On 9/20/2021 at 11:25 PM, DoctaM3 said:

Something to consider. Has anyone used ceramic & anti-fog coating when you open these units to reduce the need to re-do in the future?

I've done exactly this with a ceramic coating. In theory it should work well. I'll know after 12 months I guess.