Driving the Huracan GT3 EVO on Track - VIDEO

Destructo

This Huracan GT3 EVO looks and sounds mean. Check out the quick video and great in-depth technical write-up by Autoweek's Robin Warner.

I couldn't imagine taking a corner at 2.5 lateral G's, nucking futs! 

HERE'S WHAT THE LAMBORGHINI HURACAN GT3 EVO IS LIKE TO DRIVE ON-TRACK

The track is Vallelunga Circuit outside of Rome; the experience is unforgettable

Have you ever had a slice of Italian humble pie? Mine came after clocking 132 mph at the apex of turn 1 at the Vallelunga Circuit, 20 miles outside of Rome. Exiting out of the right-hand sweeper onto the main straight, I grab third gear -- 5.2 liters worth of raging bull charging in V10 form thrusts me forward with an astonishingly rapid increase in velocity. Fourth gear, the pull is just as strong, and the revs seemingly climb just as quickly. Then fifth gear: I cross the start/finish line and climb a small hill, bending the car slightly left over the rise before the right-hand flick that is turn 1 comes to view. 

Sixth gear. Speeds approach, reach, then surpass 150 mph. Courage runs out and my foot lifts from the throttle for a one-two count as I dab the steering right. Back to full throttle and aiming for the apex as turbulent air pushes on the left side of the car and then the right, still, somehow, maintaining the preferred line. Just as the car settles from the turbulence, a bump right before the apex bucks the rear loose. After that, the front end feels light. Undeterred, I keep my foot planted on the gas and exit the corner in one piece, accelerating toward  turn 2. “Woo!” I exclaim while laughing out loud, quite happy with myself.

What a moment! What a car! Not half bad driving either, I figure, as I pull into the pits and explain -- OK, maybe brag -- to professional and development driver Marco Mapelli my feat. His calm expression remains unchanged as he says, “Turn 1? Oh, that’s flat.” “Flat?” I reply. “Oh yeah,” he continues, still expressionless, but with a touch of Italian flair, “easy flat.” I listen, ingesting a big bite of pie. 

_1em7081.jpg
_1em7106.jpg
_1em7275.jpg

1 OF 10Lamborghini Huracan GT3 Evo On The Vallelunga Circuit Outside of Rome, Italy

Easy flat means a 151-mph apex speed, meaning my two count of lift costs me 19 mph. But “easy flat” also means holding on to the road with over 2.5 gs of lateral grip, more than I’m used to and more than any road car can manage. It makes sense, then, that this a GT3 race car -- more specifically, the Lamborghini Huracan GT3 Evo race car -- an evolution of the multi-championship-winning Huracan GT3. The Evo part of the name is what makes it new and indicates all the work engineers did to increase drivability, which in turn helps the gentleman drivers racing this machine more comfortably get up to speed. The GT3 part of the name means that ... Oh. My. God. I just drove a fully homologated race car!

Interior driver side

A look at the interior, sans door, from the driver side.PHOTO BY ROBIN WARNER

Interior passenger side

A look at the interior, sans door, from the passenger side.PHOTO BY ROBIN WARNER

The bones of the GT3 Evo come from a Huracan road car, but little more does. Differences start with the body -- it’s made from carbon fiber, as is the one and only seat. Lamborghini bolts that seat directly to the frame and make the pedals and steering adjustable to fit around different size drivers. Speaking of, husky folks needn’t worry about fitting in the car; leaner ones should bring padding. The rest of the interior is, well, gone, replaced with a series of wires and tubes. Nothing but purposeful and cool stuff. Instead of a passenger seat, for example, lies an air-conditioner unit held down with tie straps. Get it? Cool stuff? It’s proof that keeping race car drivers comfortable is worth the weight. Speaking of, the A/C is also made from carbon fiber. 

Air Conditioning Unit

The Lamborghini Huracan GT3 Evo does come with A/C; it sits where a passenger usually would, held in place with tie straps.PHOTO BY ROBIN WARNER

But back to the body. Engineers focused a lot of their work on the Evo here -- finding ways to make downforce, yes, but in a way that avoids making the amateur driver uncomfortable. Starting with the big picture, engineers shifted the downforce balance to the front. In the Huracan GT3, around 33-34 percent of the downforce pushed on the front axle, leaving two-thirds or more over the rear. On the Evo, it's now 40 percent in front. Rear stability remains king, but the change makes the front-to-rear balance easier to feel. 

This shift is the result of several small tweaks, like new front winglets on the corners of the car above the splitter. And the splitter itself has vertical slots, set at angles, that run underneath the car to make channels that flow air from the center to the sides -- the channels flowed straight underneath the car before. This change makes the Evo less pitch-sensitive under braking and at turn-in. Finally, Lamborghini placed vents above the front wheels to prevent high-pressure zones under the wheel wells.

In back, engineers added slots with their own vertical channels behind the rear wheel wells to help channel air, improving flow, which in turn reduces turbulence. This affects two things: First, it lowers the drag coefficient for a higher top speed; second, it makes the rear diffuser more effective, which allows it to produce more downforce. And there’s an ironing board-size rear wing too.

aero-1-rear-wing.jpeg
aero-front-aero-channel.jpeg
aero-front-aero-winglet.jpg

1 OF 6The aerodynamic details of the Lamborghini GT3 Evo are fascinating, like this ironing board sized rear wing
PHOTO BY RO

To complement the new aero work, engineers tinkered with the front and rear double control-arm suspension. Lamborghini replaced steel front control arms with billet aluminum units and put similar work into the rear, installing new hubs, bearings and axle shafts. A lot of the improvement in drivability comes with adjustability, so gone are two-way adjustable shock absorbers, replaced with four-way adjustable Ohlins pieces. Overall, engineers managed to raise the roll center 0.6 inch, which reduces vehicle roll, aiding vehicle stability.

front suspension

The front suspension of the Lamborghini Huracan GT3 Evo features four-way adjustable Ohlins shocks, a big and flat at the ends antiroll bar and a suspension travel sensor that looks like a trunk lid gas strut.PHOTO BY ROBIN WARNER

Continuing the adjustability theme, power steering is new. Lamborghini plucked the electro-hydraulic unit from the Huracan Super Trofeo race car (Lamborghini’s single-car race series similar to Ferrari Challenge) that allows drivers to adjust steering assistance. Even the roll cage was redesigned to be more comfortable for taller drivers and give access to the roof hatch.

Unchanged from the Huracan GT3 are adjustable ride height spring cradles; super beefy and, of course, adjustable antiroll bars; and, for lovers of data, suspension travel sensors. They are attached next to the shock absorber and look like thin struts you would find holding a trunk open. Even though the suspension travels no more than a couple inches, that is important data for car setup. 

jack stands

One of the three three-wheeled jack stands used to move the Lamborghini Huracan GT3 Evo around in the pits and garage.PHOTO BY ROBIN WARNER

Jack Stands together

The Lamborghini Huracan GT3 Evo's jack stands when not in use. The long one goes under the center of the front of the car; the remaining two slide under either side of the back.PHOTO BY ROBIN WARNER

Also, the Huracan GT3’s supercool air jack system remains. The car lifts from pressurized air plugged in the back, and then three three-wheeled (the wheels are casters) jack stands, one in front and two in the rear, slide under to easily move the car around. And there's the incredible-to-witness removable doors: Instead of bolts and hinges, the doors rest on pins. When latched, the door stays in place like any other door, but when open, it lifts right off the car (easy to do because, of course, carbon fiber). Still not impressed? I counted 16 flaps and scoops on the front and side of the car, some of which feed the engine air and help keep it cool.

Lamborghini Huracan GT3 Evo door pins

Instead of being bolted on, the Lamborghini Huracan GT3 Evo's doors easily lift off of these pins for easy access to the cabin.PHOTO BY ROBIN WARNER

Speaking of, Lamborghini’s exquisite naturally aspirated V10 screamer comes largely unchanged from the Huracan road car, though not before receiving new camshafts and titanium valves. Before any balance of performance, aka BoP, restrictions, it produces a peak 600 hp and 439 lb-ft of torque. Huracan road cars send power to both axles, but the race car is rear-wheel drive. Before power gets there, it goes through an automated manual six-speed transmission with paddle shift-operated gear selection and clutch. With such a potent powertrain, good thing the fuel tank holds 31.7 gallons.

The price for Lamborghini’s latest race-going recipe of metal, plastic and rubber is a little less than $450,000 before taxes and fees. That’s based on a recent conversion from 389,000 euros. For those who already own a Huracan GT3, Lamborghini sells an update kit to keep the car eligible for an additional three years. Expensive, certainly. But less than some of Lamborghini’s road-legal cars -- the Aventador SVJ, for example -- and an absolute bargain considering the life-changing experience it is to drive one.

You sit low in the car and, because of the seat’s shape, your lower back may seem a little rounded. I feel discomfort for about seven seconds and then forget about it. As Lamborghini technicians tighten the five-point harness, I fuss with the adjustable pedals and steering wheel. The pedals have plenty of travel for a perfect fit, but I wished for the steering wheel to be a little farther away from my chest. Plenty snug, my elbows have to bend more than is ideal, but, again, all is forgotten once we're moving.

_2mp2288.jpg
_2mp2302.jpg
_2mp2304.jpg

1 OF 12Managing Editor Robin Warner preparing to drive the Lamborghini Huracan GT3 Evo

Before your gaze passes the windshield, there’s a square color screen resting just above the steering column to function as the instrument panel. You can choose from multiple screens, each chock-full of information. One shows lap and sector time, another: temperatures of the engine, transmission, differential and other systems. I keep it on a screen showing speed and gear and revs. 

The steering wheel itself has no screens, but several types of controls. Built into the front are several buttons and dials to adjust systems on the car: the engine start button, pit speed limiter, windshield wipers, headlight flash, timer, drink, two-way radio, hazard lights and turn signals. And three dials: Two adjust traction control and ABS sensitivity, and a third selects which page appears on the IP screen. 

Steering Wheel

The steering wheel of the Lamborghini Huracan GT3 Evo has several buttons, dials and paddles.PHOTO BY ROBIN WARNER

On the back are the gear change paddles -- right for upshifting (marked with a plus sign) and left for downshifting (marked with a negative sign) -- and beneath those paddles are two more paddles, which operate the clutch. Either side does the same thing; it’s pure preference on which to use, and there’s no clutch pedal at your feet. The only purpose for the clutch is to start the engine and put it in first gear. Everything else, including getting moving from a stop, is done like an automatic or dual-clutch transmission. Oh, and two hands on the wheel too, positioned at nine and three, partially because that’s the right way but also because there’s no other place for them. Running down the center console are even more controls. I never touch them.

As I absorb the car while strapped inside, surrounded by nets and metal, the car suddenly drops from the air jacks and lands on its wheels with a solid ka-thunk. With a thumbs-up from the crew, I slowly press on the throttle, the clutch engages smoothly and I’m heading down the pits at a computer-limited 30 mph. When the pit speed limiter is on, there is a bright white light that illuminates the cabin, making it easy for one last glance at the dials and controls before it's time to hustle, even in the dark.

Pit Limiter Light

A big light bar illuminates the cabin when the pit speed limiter is pressed, making a quick scan of the cabin a cinch.

On to the Vallelunga Circuit for the first time, my heart beats against my chest like an angry landlord pounding on a tenant’s door looking for rent. It’s fear, I’m afraid: to look stupid, or worse, wreck the car. But, no matter, I turn the pit speed limiter off and roll on to the throttle and … Whee, whoa, wow! Everything happens so fast. Speed climbs like a monkey up a tree, shifts bang off almost too quick to notice and the car brakes and turns with absolutely zero lag time from inputs. What a machine! I’m feeling new, higher limits, and yet it appears manageable -- enough so that I notice a few things.

The steering seems light at first turn. I would say too light, but, because it’s adjustable, assistance suits any driver’s tastes. Regardless, feel becomes apparent immediately. As you lean on the front axle, steering weights up. And in the higher-speed bits, you also feel the aero pushing the car to the road. I would still choose less assistance, but I also bet my tune would change If I ran this car in an endurance race. And the precision, feel and directness of the steering are all outstanding. It is not only better than any road car, but, so far, it's the best race car steering I’ve experienced. 

_2mp1312_0.jpg
_2MP1332.jpg
_2MP1347.jpg

1 OF 16The Lamborghini Huracan GT3 Evo in Action on the Vallelunga Circuit outside of Rome Italy

In the slower corners, the GT3 grips the road with over 1.6 gs of force -- even more in the high-speed stuff thanks to the downforce. Remember, easy flat. Beyond that, the GT3 Evo understeers, but that’s only because the engineers tuned it that way. With all the aforementioned adjustability, the GT3 Evo will provide whatever balance you wish. And, with only the gas and brake at your feet, two-pedal driving works beautifully, which helps me to balance the car through a corner. 

And, even with safety-first tuning, inherent balance allows easy access to power oversteer, not for drifty foolishness but to quickly straighten the car out of slow corner exits. Despite Lambo equipping the GT3 Evo with both traction control and antilock brakes, I command rear wheel spin with my right foot. Honestly, I only noticed traction control when I wield the throttle like an ax as opposed to a scalpel. 

After making short work of every straight -- reaching 153 mph on the main -- hitting the brakes repeatedly shows my lack of resolve, as I do not even come close to testing the GT3 Evo’s true stopping capability, despite clearly feeling more available. In Mapelli’s control, it will decelerate at nearly 2.2 g. Race tires, aerodynamic help and large-diameter, slotted carbon discs with big Brembo calipers will do that. But GT3 stopping power transcends my limits by a country mile and I simply can't adjust my brain in the allotted time. That's my excuse, at least. And none of that takes away from fantastic feel. Little pedal travel occurs before getting a nice strong initial bite, and progression comes linearly with enough travel to allow easy and precise trail-braking. 

Front Brake

The front brake rotors are slotted and quite large. The Brembo calipers have six pistons.PHOTO BY ROBIN WARNER

Rear Brake

The slotted rotor is pretty darn big in back too, and the Brembo calipers have four pistons.PHOTO BY ROBIN WARNER

But the most astonishing thing about the GT3 Evo is the complete package and how approachable such high limits are. Most cars like this, grip seems endless, mainly because it’s hard to feel the limit, so you stay beneath it. In the Huracan GT3 Evo, I can describe balance at the limit because I could get there. Everything, even the way the tires slip, felt familiar. And then there’s the seamless nature of the aerodynamics. Downforce clearly plays a big role, but the GT3 Evo communicates where and how it’s working in a way that makes it usable for the less experienced. Incredible.

Lamborghini likes to compare its cars to fighter planes; the GT3 Evo is a big step closer to that than any of its road cars. Really, the GT3 Evo is the embodiment of "wow factor." The fact that a car with the same weight-to-power ratio as an early '60s F1 car is available to anyone with the means is amazing. And for good measure it includes ABS, TC and air conditioning. From the moment you strap in until after you climb out and stare back, it’s awe-inspiring: next-level performance, yet clear communication to find the limit. It even makes humble pie taste decent.

Clearly, race cars have changed over the years, but the thrill of driving them has not. We live in a golden age.

Article: https://autoweek.com/article/car-reviews/lapping-lamborghini-huracan-gt3-evo-its-24-hours-daytona-debut