02 Murcielago w/6sp manual

oufan2929

Some of you have probably seen the blk/blk 6sp Murci on Autotrader. Has had a major engine out 1000 miles ago but back in 2014. What am I up against buying an 02 Murci? Decently robust car I imagine, but curious of everyone’s thoughts. I remember Roy telling me years ago that the 03 Murci was the most reliable of the first gen Murci’s but can’t remember why. 

Also, what do you think the car should be bought for? He’s asking $189k which I think is a little strong. I figured I need to be in the 160’s. Has around 17k miles...

Not sure why 03's would be more reliable than 02's. The 04's got the new coil packs which weren't susceptible to water ingress. The 02 and 03's can have the coil packs fail just from parking the car in the rain. Not sure there's much difference between the early Murci's than the coil packs.

I owned an 03 and loved it, had a couple things go wrong but nothing to crazy expensive. But I’ve heard from other 02 owners and share the same opinion with Roy on the 03s having something to them that makes them more reliable. 

However most early Murcilagos have problems with window regulators, front shocks leaking, sticky buttons, rack and pinions leaking, door lock actuators, coil packs, throttle bodies regularly needing recalibrating for idle issues, suspension error codes lifting up on center council display, head and tail lamp assemblies get moister in them die to failed seals. 

Id recommend to step up a few years, maybe an 06. Assuming you don’t have the option of steping up to an 07 or newer.

Your spot on with the 160k evaluation IMO.  Hope this helps, good luck with your search, and keep us posted. 

IIRC, the 02’s had the potential to fry out its dash if the car were improperly jump-started.  There was a recall on it and it should have been sorted out.  Haven’t heard any complaint on here or at any other forums about this issue though.  The rest is not unlike what others had already mentioned: coil packs, suspension errors and condensation in the taillights but those generally apply to all the pre-LP Murci’s.

Keep in mind that the Murci’s is an old-school design.  It’s more or less the last-gen Diablo (the one with the 300ZX headlights) with a new body, an extra gear and slightly tweaked to make everything easier.  IMO, if well looked after, I don’t see the 02’s being inferior and/or less reliable than the 03’s.

I am in Utah and have personally seen the car.  I agree $189K is high, I believe the owner is trying to ride the wave of gated cars going up in value. The car has had a PPI done and has some issues. The owner expressed to me that any issue was a non issue and every 02 has a Air bag light on . As the person potentially  having to pay for the "non Issues" I disagree. That being his position, and that IMO the car would have to immediately go in for repair work , I did not even try to make a offer on the car.

To summarize, at the time I looked at the car, it had a broken oil temp gauge, air bag light, suspension light , paint chips, scuffs in the interior and  appears to have been loaded on a trailer that was too narrow at some point in its life as both side scoops are scraped.  

Do a search and you will find the car has been auctioned at least 4 times. It was last auctioned in Aug 2018 at the Fall Classic, lot 651.  Search 2002 Murcielago for sale on Google to find out more. You will find links to the auctions, auction results as well as some old dealer listings.

Maybe now that it has been for sale a while the owner might be more open to offers. I looked at it when it was first listed a couple of months ago and he was pretty firm.

Current owner stated he bought the car just as a flip. 

Hope this helps

On 1/18/2019 at 1:44 PM, BPitt said:

I am in Utah and have personally seen the car.  I agree $189K is high, I believe the owner is trying to ride the wave of gated cars going up in value. The car has had a PPI done and has some issues. The owner expressed to me that any issue was a non issue and every 02 has a Air bag light on . As the person potentially  having to pay for the "non Issues" I disagree. That being his position, and that IMO the car would have to immediately go in for repair work , I did not even try to make a offer on the car.

To summarize, at the time I looked at the car, it had a broken oil temp gauge, air bag light, suspension light , paint chips, scuffs in the interior and  appears to have been loaded on a trailer that was too narrow at some point in its life as both side scoops are scraped.  

Do a search and you will find the car has been auctioned at least 4 times. It was last auctioned in Aug 2018 at the Fall Classic, lot 651.  Search 2002 Murcielago for sale on Google to find out more. You will find links to the auctions, auction results as well as some old dealer listings.

Maybe now that it has been for sale a while the owner might be more open to offers. I looked at it when it was first listed a couple of months ago and he was pretty firm.

Current owner stated he bought the car just as a flip. 

Hope this helps

Great info!

On 1/14/2019 at 12:11 AM, VCR said:

IIRC, the 02’s had the potential to fry out its dash if the car were improperly jump-started.  There was a recall on it and it should have been sorted out.  Haven’t heard any complaint on here or at any other forums about this issue though.  The rest is not unlike what others had already mentioned: coil packs, suspension errors and condensation in the taillights but those generally apply to all the pre-LP Murci’s.

Keep in mind that the Murci’s is an old-school design.  It’s more or less the last-gen Diablo (the one with the 300ZX headlights) with a new body, an extra gear and slightly tweaked to make everything easier.  IMO, if well looked after, I don’t see the 02’s being inferior and/or less reliable than the 03’s.

Thanks Al!

Mine is an 02, and it has been almost flawless for 5 + years. Only issue I had was a a belt broke. Other than that runs fantastic. Never had an issue with the coil packs, although I got the upgraded ones.  The 02 and 03 in a 6spd are the fastest Murcielagos in the pre Lp640 range. Highly recomend. I would not sell mine for $160k, 0r $189k. They are certainly on the way up. Last of the V12 Manuals, and the lp640 versions are 2x the price already.