Superleggera what to ask

djt77

Hi all, I’m looking at 2008 sugerleggera tomorrow, meeting with the mechanic who is doing so bits on the car. While he is there is there anything I should be to ask about? 

Im thinking brakes as ceramic, clutch life. Service history seems to be good but it’s had some engine work done and had a diff ECU which has now been swapped out for the old stock one. 

Car has about 60,000km so bit on high side but avg 5,000km a year doesn’t seem too high. Any info on what should be looking out for would be appreciated 

I'd be quite suspicious of a swapped ECU. Sounds like someone had aftermarket performance parts on it, then swapped it back to stock to sell. Usually, that would make me think they didn't spend any money on maintenance. Then in combination with the engine work, what kind of work? There are lots to look for, but I'd get past the engine hurdle before going any further, but that's me. 

I have to agree with destructo.   The swapped ECU I feel like only happens on the Turbo cars.   And while certain tuners go above and beyond, if that ECU swap was to run some garage assembled turbo, id be wary.....

53 minutes ago, Kevin2772 said:

I have to agree with destructo.   The swapped ECU I feel like only happens on the Turbo cars.   And while certain tuners go above and beyond, if that ECU swap was to run some garage assembled turbo, id be wary.....

garage assembled turbo system...that just makes me shudder.

But we agree! 

nodawg.gif

Yeah there is only one reason someone guts the factory ECU on these cars, and there are only about three dudes on the whole planet you want diving into that job (or reversing it). 

Unless there is a massive documented history and support by a very well known shop, this car isn't worth more to me than what I could part it out for, because that could be a very real outcome when it turns into a basket case.