2020 Shelby GT500 - Photos Inside

Destructo

No manual transmission, only a DCT, more than 700 horsepower and composite goodness galore.

Interestingly enough, the claimed 0-60 is 3.5 seconds and a quarter mile time in the 11's... That doesn't seem THAT impressive for what it is, but maybe I'm just jaded. More photos at the link - MotorTrend.com

2020-Ford-Mustang-Shelby-G500-9.jpg?impo

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford/mustang/2020/2020-ford-mustang-shelby-gt500-first-look-review/

I love the 350, but this done literally nothing for me.  All the aero stuff looks like a bad body kit than a clean functional design, hood pins are just fcuking gay on a factory car (well, pretty much any car to be honest).  A 750hp mustang that in 95% of cases will get it's lunch taken by an audi RS3... thats a huge fail.

5 minutes ago, emanon said:

I love the 350, but this done literally nothing for me.  All the aero stuff looks like a bad body kit than a clean functional design, hood pins are just fcuking gay on a factory car (well, pretty much any car to be honest).  A 750hp mustang that in 95% of cases will get it's lunch taken by an audi RS3... thats a huge fail.

After seeing the specs, I'm not overly impressed. I'd take a 2013-2014 GT500 over this any and every day of the week. And to be fair, it seems like the 700+ HP isn't very usable. I did read the hood pins were necessary to keep the composite hood down, so not entirely a cosmetic choice there. Swing and a miss maybe, time will tell.

2 minutes ago, Destructo said:

After seeing the specs, I'm not overly impressed. I'd take a 2013-2014 GT500 over this any and every day of the week. And to be fair, it seems like the 700+ HP isn't very usable. I did read the hood pins were necessary to keep the composite hood down, so not entirely a cosmetic choice there. Swing and a miss maybe, time will tell.

I'm with you, the older car looked much better.  We'll have to see how it hooks up in the real world, but most front engine 700+hp rwd cars are a handful, let alone in a domestic chassis.  Just feels like they are 2 years late to the party, when dodge has 797hp cars that are putting 720 to the tires on 91 octane pump gas (aka, they are making way over rated power on good fuel).

1 minute ago, emanon said:

I'm with you, the older car looked much better.  We'll have to see how it hooks up in the real world, but most front engine 700+hp rwd cars are a handful, let alone in a domestic chassis.  Just feels like they are 2 years late to the party, when dodge has 797hp cars that are putting 720 to the tires on 91 octane pump gas (aka, they are making way over rated power on good fuel).

The 2013 I drove a bit, genuinely scared me as a car (granted it was a press car with bald tires :lol2: ) but I've wanted one ever since.

Dodge is definitely King of the Domestic pile. It just looks like Ford is trying to milk the Shelby name as much as they can. To me, they've backed themselves in the corner, the Ford GT is better, and the Mustang chassis can't handle this kind of power. Stick to the GT350 style, better handling, less power and let the halo car be the horsepower/handling king.

Hell, Dodge's land yachts run faster ET's without the composite goodies. It just doesn't make any sense. Although I still want a Redeye Hellcat in a Charger body (they don't make that combo sadly, I believe).

100% agree on all counts!  Unless there are some significant changes this thing is going to grossly overpower the chassis and just be a mess.  That boat anchor of a dohc motor with the blower isn't helping the cause either. 

I also agree on the Redeye Charger, having driven both the charger and challenger hellcats, the charger is actually the better car in pretty much every way.  Longer wheelbase gives you a little hope in keeping it pointed the right direction lol.  But there lies the problem with these cars, they are good at one thing, turning $$ into smoke and black marks on the street.  It's neat initially but truth be told a GT350 is 10x more fun on a day to day basis.  At least the charger has the appeal of being a highway monster with some use, an S63 for 1/4 the price.  God willing they put the widebody flares on the charger with the redeye motor, that would be a hell of a car. 

Chevy won't win the HP war, but if they ever drop the LT4 into that amazing camaro chassis, it's over. 

4 hours ago, emanon said:

100% agree on all counts!  Unless there are some significant changes this thing is going to grossly overpower the chassis and just be a mess.  That boat anchor of a dohc motor with the blower isn't helping the cause either. 

I also agree on the Redeye Charger, having driven both the charger and challenger hellcats, the charger is actually the better car in pretty much every way.  Longer wheelbase gives you a little hope in keeping it pointed the right direction lol.  But there lies the problem with these cars, they are good at one thing, turning $$ into smoke and black marks on the street.  It's neat initially but truth be told a GT350 is 10x more fun on a day to day basis.  At least the charger has the appeal of being a highway monster with some use, an S63 for 1/4 the price.  God willing they put the widebody flares on the charger with the redeye motor, that would be a hell of a car. 

Chevy won't win the HP war, but if they ever drop the LT4 into that amazing camaro chassis, it's over. 

I get the weird feeling Chevrolet is moving out of the performance car section. They'll retain the Corvette, and maybe Camaro, but it just doesn't seem that they have the focus on it that Dodge and Ford (second mos) are doing.

They seem to half-assed it when it's not a Corvette more often then not. The G8 and SS were rebadged Holdens. I loved both those cars, but it doesn't take much creativity or initiative to rebadge a car and try and pass it off. Performance buyers can see through that. Riddle me this, Dodge can sell performance sedans by the boatload, but GM made a better one (at least in my opinion, the SS) and couldn't get a handful of years out of it! 

It'll be interesting to see. The Germans do a fantastic job of performance sedans and coupes, but the price-point is higher, and even if they come in at the same price. Would you buy a Chevrolet or a Mercedes with equivalent power outputs?