Removing AC compressor from Gen-1 Murci

Stimpy

Has anyone done this job? If so, I'd love to hear your tips.

I got the old one out, but unfortunately, I decided to follow the shop manual's steps, so it was a royal pain. And I am not sure I can get the new one back in using those steps.

Here's the manual's steps:

1- Remove the power steering pump frame mounting side bracket to the cylinder bank 7-12 phase transformer.

2- Remove the power steering pump frame 4 mounting screws to the compressor; remove the frame from the power steering pump without damaging the hoses.

3- Unscrew the three screws which mount the heat-proof screen to the lower support.

4- Unscrew the four lower screws which mount the compressor to the lower support; then remove the compressor and the pulley.

5- If necessary, remove the air conditioning system compressor lower support by removing the 3 mounting stud bolt nuts.

These instructions are basically nuts because you can't really get to some of these screws.

Step 2 is way easier said than done. I had to remove the power steering pulley to be able to unscrew the power steering bracket from the top of the AC compressor, and fortunately, I have a pretty crazy collection of odd tools that made it possible to hold the power steering pulley while I loosened the 3 screws holding the pulley on. There's no way get to those 3 pulley screws with the drive belt holding it. And some of the mounting bolts have captive nuts and others don't. The ones that don't are very hard to hold the nut while undoing the bolt while the assembly is still on the car.

Step 4 is also crazy, and you should not do it. It's much easier to skip to step 5 and remove the AC compressor still in its lower bracket. And for that matter, you can most likely skip step 1 too and just take that bracket out with the compressor as well. You do need to do step 3 to get the heat shield out of the way.

I am thinking I should have removed the lines from the power steering pump, and then removed the whole AC compressor and power steering pump as an assembly, but I am not sure that would work to get it out of that space and then back in. Can anyone confirm if they did it that way? 

It looks so simple at first, but then your find out it's a Chinese puzzle from hell. the LP640 has a much more simple design for mounting, but that different design is probably what makes it hard to get out the stock cat on the driver side.

Ok, now I am thinking that if I remove the cooling system crossover pipe that feeds the water pump from the radiators and release the tie down straps for the power steering hoses, I can move the power steering back enough to work on the assembly easily and also have enough room to put the full assembly back in.

I was planning on doing a coolant change and replacing the rest of the cooling system hoses anyway, so that's not a big deal to take out.

Out of curiousity, How are you discharging and storing the AC refrigerant oil?

plus on the power steering be careful of stored pressure in the accumulator tank for the front lift system,  if you choose to remove hoses etc.

i have not removed a compressor for replacement personally sorry no help there

6 hours ago, Digibeam said:

Out of curiousity, How are you discharging and storing the AC refrigerant oil?

plus on the power steering be careful of stored pressure in the accumulator tank for the front lift system,  if you choose to remove hoses etc.

i have not removed a compressor for replacement personally sorry no help there

I made friends over the years with a local mom and pop auto shop and they evacuated the system for me. Some shops won't do that unless you are having them do all the AC work.

Assembled the power steering and compressor assembly, and got it back in. If I had to do it again, it's definitely better to drain the power steering and remove the hoses to the pump. It's just too bulky of an assembly to move around with those hoses attached and you need to be able to tilt the assembly to get it into place.

I got it all back together, and all I can say is just wow for how crazy these engine accessories go together. It's a puzzle that will punish you for making a wrong move. I am shock I figured out how to get the new belt on. I cut the old one off so I didn't suffer there. From what I can see, there's only one sequence that will let you get the belt on all the pulleys. It's definitely best with 2 people, with one to hold the tensioner while the belt is maneuvered around the alternator pulley. I did it myself, so it is possible. 

• 2 years later...

Stimpy, we need to chat!  I am in the middle of this now on my LP640.  I just replaced the hoses for my PS pump so removing them wasn't in the cards but at least their soft enough and I can suck all the fluid out of the reservoir first to reduce what spills out upon removal down at the pump side. 

I will PM you but questions I have..

- Did you end up removing the cross over pipe for coolant?  If so, was it necessary?  

- Did you have to loosen the catalytic converter on the LH side next to that bracket?  The heat shield can't come off as one bolt is right up against that exhaust.  We thought about cutting it and slotting it for later ease of access but won't be able to do this anyways until it's out.. Did the removal of the entire bracket help to eliminate the need to loosen the exhaust?  

- Does the PS pump slide out straight back out of that coupler (almost looks like a rag joint that you would find on a steering shaft) once the bracket was loosened and slid backwards? 

- I notice the belt rides up and over that PS pulley but more as a guide is it rides not he back side (non grooved) of the belt.  Was that a pain to get back in?

- Were you also coming in from the bottom with a long wrench to loosen the tensioner for the belt?  

Thanks for any help!  Trying to get this fixed (I keep blowing fuses) before Monterey... Ugh

Stimpy, we need to chat!  I am in the middle of this now on my LP640.  I just replaced the hoses for my PS pump so removing them wasn't in the cards but at least their soft enough and I can suck all the fluid out of the reservoir first to reduce what spills out upon removal down at the pump side. 

I will PM you but questions I have..

- Did you end up removing the cross over pipe for coolant?  If so, was it necessary?  

- Did you have to loosen the catalytic converter on the LH side next to that bracket?  The heat shield can't come off as one bolt is right up against that exhaust.  We thought about cutting it and slotting it for later ease of access but won't be able to do this anyways until it's out.. Did the removal of the entire bracket help to eliminate the need to loosen the exhaust?  

- Does the PS pump slide out straight back out of that coupler (almost looks like a rag joint that you would find on a steering shaft) once the bracket was loosened and slid backwards? 

- I notice the belt rides up and over that PS pulley but more as a guide is it rides not he back side (non grooved) of the belt.  Was that a pain to get back in?

- Were you also coming in from the bottom with a long wrench to loosen the tensioner for the belt?  

Thanks for any help!  Trying to get this fixed (I keep blowing fuses) before Monterey... Ugh

IMG_4192.jpg

IMG_4198.jpg