Fuel vapor hose - really bad shape!

Stimpy

I ran across the post below, either here or on another forum, a while back and added this hose to my list of things to check next time I had the rear left wheel liner out.

It's not an easy hose to see, but it's really easy to reach and change because there are no hose clamps, and mine was literally falling off anyway! I can only guess that Lambo didn't use fuel vapor rated hose because there's no heat from the engine to deteriorate it like that.

The hose is on the top of the charcoal canister, just on the other side of oil cooler. It was easy putting on a new hose. I had been getting occasional P0442 codes, but I though it was the fuel cap. I am surprised I didn't have a constant code looking at the state of the hose in the pics.

This is for an 04 Murci with 18K miles and a generally easy life of always being garaged.

Thanks to the original poster!

P0442 - Thanks Ragin Bull Perf

Mates

Had this code keep popping up. Called Ragin Bull Perf (they performed a PPI) on my car before I bought her. Mike suggested removing drivers rear wheels and liners. Inspect the hose from white valve to canister for damage. BINGO - hose was damaged and leaking. Replaced hose and so far no more code.

Next up.. changing plugs.

Thanks Mike (RBP)

2019-02-16 23.36.24.jpg

2019-02-16 23.36.28.jpg

2019-02-16 23.36.32.jpg

Looks exactly like mine, replaced about a year ago pre smog test. Some suggested maybe the fuel cap was giving a bad code but I cleaned that up real good and the code returned, so it was the hose like yours.

Just curious, did yours have a spring inside of it?  Presumably to prevent the hose from kinking.  In my case the failure point was at the edge of the spring.

20190219_110623a.jpg

20190219_110543a.jpg

My earlier car didn't have a spring.

Instead of a spring, what they needed to do was put a right angle joint instead of getting a short, thick hose to bend 90 degs.

I plan to do that next time I am in there.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the heads up on this one Stimpy.

Although not yet perished though like yours it was well on the way.Charcoal evap tank hose.jpg