My solution for deteriorated alternator cooling hose

Stimpy

The hose connected to the alternator that brings cool air from the scoop on the right side of the car tends to deteriorate from the heat of the exhaust right below it.

Instead of spending $200 for a new hose (that should cost $10 of course), and instead of putting a non-stock hose, I opened up the wheel liner and cut the hose and turned it around and spliced it with 1-1/4" PVC tube and hose clamps. I did the splice on the long run next to the fuel tank so it's hidden by the wheel liner.

That'll give me another 10 years on that hose.

Side note, it's surprising how little air is used from that big scoop on the right. There's a duct that the hose connects to in back of that big scoop, and it's just a little sliver compared to the scoop.

2019-02-17 09.41.14.jpg

8 minutes ago, diabloking said:

What about using steel braided hose. SBH is heat and pressure resistant. 

Steel braided hose in 1 and 1/2” inner diameter?  I guess. You can use whatever. I was just sharing what I did that kept it stock looking and extended the hose life for another decade.

I bought the identical looking hose from eBay for around $10!  Some goes for the front brake cooling hoses.  Black Neoprene hose with the yellow spiral.

On the subject of the cooling duct, bear in mind that the cooling will only work when the car is moving and considering the length and diameter of the hose, I bet no significant mass of air is flowing below around 80-100mph.  I'd guess the alternator only needs cooling at night at full chat with the headlights on and the fuel injectors delivering their full duty cycle.

2 hours ago, V12noise said:

I bought the identical looking hose from eBay for around $10!  Some goes for the front brake cooling hoses.  Black Neoprene hose with the yellow spiral.

On the subject of the cooling duct, bear in mind that the cooling will only work when the car is moving and considering the length and diameter of the hose, I bet no significant mass of air is flowing below around 80-100mph.  I'd guess the alternator only needs cooling at night at full chat with the headlights on and the fuel injectors delivering their full duty cycle.

The alternator has its own fan so it’s sucking in cold air through that tube whenever the engine is turning.

That hose and the housing on the back of the alternator are a really good idea, but unfortunately it’s a rare setup. I wish all cars has the same setup since heat is a big enemy of alternators.

I have seen that same housing for sale, so it could be adapted to alternators that suck in air from the back. They don’t all breath that way though.

4 minutes ago, LW Lambo said:

Stimpy,

What is the diameter for this hose?  Is it 1-1/4"?  Also, how long is the total length of the hose?

Thanks for your write up on this.

You’re welcome! Happy if my posts help.

It’s about 1.5” inner diameter. I didn’t remove the hose, just cut, reversed, and spliced with a pipe. Probably around 5-6 feet.

6 minutes ago, V12noise said:

Spot on there, I bought a 2m length on ebay and cut off about 25cm.

Can you post a link to the hose you bought?

I bought a hose 6ft long with 1.5" ID.  The length is correct, but the ID is just a bit small.  It would not slide over the barb for the alternator.  I took measurement of what is required for the hose ID.  It needs to be at least 1.725" ID.  So when you order a new hose, get 1.75" ID to save yourself some trouble.

1 hour ago, LW Lambo said:

I bought a hose 6ft long with 1.5" ID.  The length is correct, but the ID is just a bit small.  It would not slide over the barb for the alternator.  I took measurement of what is required for the hose ID.  It needs to be at least 1.725" ID.  So when you order a new hose, get 1.75" ID to save yourself some trouble.

Sorry about that. I didn't take super careful measurements because I was just looking for a PVC pipe to put on the inside to splice the hose with hose clamps.

Sounds like the 45mm in the ebay link above is the right size.

14 hours ago, Stimpy said:

Sorry about that. I didn't take super careful measurements because I was just looking for a PVC pipe to put on the inside to splice the hose with hose clamps.

Sounds like the 45mm in the ebay link above is the right size.

No worries.  If it weren’t for your post, I wouldn’t have looked at this hose carefully and replaced it.  Another thing I found useful is to remove the old hose and shine a flashlight through it.  Any part of the hose that is damaged, you an see light going through on the outside. My hose appeared to be in good condition except by the alternator inlet without the light test.  But with the light on it, I can see a lot of holes especially where it rests on the gas tank from vibration wear.