Headlight Fogging - different...

V12noise

My Murci's been off the road for 4 months now while I've been refurbing the underneath. Just noticed that the headlights fogging had cleared up. Then took it for a drive and the fogging was back.  So there has to be different kinds of fogging, the type where you get a residue (and has been discussed extensively here) and the simpler type from misting or condensation.  I certainly confirmed mine by blowing compressed air through the lines and it cleared up again

So now the question is what to do about the condensation type fogging?  It is predominantly on the lower part of the lens, so I thought of connecting up longer hoses to it and ducting them up high.  Perhaps installing an inline blower?  Any clever thoughts out there?

Yes, I have an idea so crazy it might work.

This problem is not unique to the Murci, as I saw a lot other super cars with mist inside their headlights on a humid coffee and cars morning. 

My idea is to take small balloons, fill them with desiccant and tiewrap them to the 4 hoses coming out of the bottom of the headlight.

The desiccant would absorb the moisture that would otherwise coat the inside of your lenses and the balloons would expand and compress to keep the pressure inside the headlights equalized with the atmosphere.

On 2/25/2019 at 5:09 AM, V12noise said:

Interesting solution.  I'll give it a go but I'm thinking there might not be the airflow to get the moisture to the desiccant...

You could be right, but desiccant will work over a long time to pull the moisture out of the air even through those thin tubes. And since you are sealing off the outside air from coming it, the desiccant has a good chance of winning over the long run.

My Mercedes sl550 had a problem with condensation in the headlights, the fix was a better sealing rear boot and some desiccant packets inserted in the lights.

This was an official Mercedes fix.

1 hour ago, yellomurci said:

My Mercedes sl550 had a problem with condensation in the headlights, the fix was a better sealing rear boot and some desiccant packets inserted in the lights.

This was an official Mercedes fix.

That's makes it sound like my idea is not so crazy and will work. 

I would recommend putting some silicon adhesive on the male nipples coming out of the headlight to hold the rubber hoses on better. They are barely on there to begin with so if you add the weight of the balloons with desiccant, even though that's not a lot of weight, they are likely to fall off from the vibrations during driving.