The Grand Tour Season 3 ep 10

I was waiting for your reply :P

Wished they actually talked about the history of the stupid wing.

14 hours ago, TestShoot said:

Wished they actually talked about the history of the stupid wing.

they talked about the wing. Below isn't from the show but they basically said the same except didn't mention Walter Wolf.

"That iconic rear wing was purely cosmetic. The Countach actually suffers front axle lift at high speed, and bolting a park bench out back only exacerbates the issue. But customers loved the look, so engineers zeroed out the wing’s angle, rendering it nonfunctional. Designed as a one-off for F1 impresario Walter Wolf, the spoiler wasn’t an official option, either. Once it caught on, circa 1976, Lamborghini couldn’t afford to re-homologate the car with a new aero appendage. As a workaround, completed cars were pulled off the assembly line and into the factory parking lot, where employees installed the rear wing—using an electric hand drill—while awaiting dealer transport. The job took about 10 minutes"

Is that what you meant or is there more to the story?

8 hours ago, NuclearJACK said:

Is that what you meant or is there more to the story?

Walter Wolf is part of the story. They made it a head-to-head versus a little bit of history on either car. The mythology of the wing and the Cannonball Run car really needed to be said in better detail. The damned cars were the center of the top speed wars, so I feel like we got more "Motor Week" than "Grand Tour". There was so much more meat on that bone.

Sexy wings that slow you down are stupid (even on the beloved Pantera), like fake air vents, wings on rice, and the proliferation of rear "diffusers" that are more like drag chutes than an aero device.

The sound of the Lambo however, was amazing.

1 hour ago, TestShoot said:

Walter Wolf is part of the story. They made it a head-to-head versus a little bit of history on either car. The mythology of the wing and the Cannonball Run car really needed to be said in better detail. The damned cars were the center of the top speed wars, so I feel like we got more "Motor Week" than "Grand Tour". There was so much more meat on that bone.

Sexy wings that slow you down are stupid (even on the beloved Pantera), like fake air vents, wings on rice, and the proliferation of rear "diffusers" that are more like drag chutes than an aero device.

The sound of the Lambo however, was amazing.

We eagerly await for you to do a better test! 

6 hours ago, Allan-Herbie said:

We eagerly await for you to do a better test! 

Gas 'em up, I'll be by in the morning with a Haliburton briefcase of Colombia's finest as collateral :P

Lambo v Ferrari has been done by that trio before, as well as countless others. Walter Wolf is interesting in that Ferrari just shoveled cars out the door and Lambo took the collaboration. How and why that car became the norm is the missing link I would like to know more about.

Of course this is a comprehensive...

alright-this-is-just-plain-silly-photo-u1.jpg