Sticky Buttons

JanDaMan

I thought for sure there was already a post on this & tried searching by "sticky" & "buttons" but no luck. Anyway, some of the buttons on my LP640 are starting to have a dull sticky surface and I am wondering what others are cleaning their buttons with. I suspect this is common over time because my MBZ SL65 was also getting it. On my MBZ I used some diluted simple green with light rubbing with a micro fiber cloth. I should have done a before & after photo, but here is the after where it cleaned it pretty good and left the white parts intact. I am a bit hesitant to try it on the Lambo but I figure if it worked on the MBZ button sticky buttons then maybe it would do the same with the Lambo. I am still just a bit afraid of the white portion of the Lambo buttons even if it worked on my MBZ. Anyone have luck with DIY cleaners for their buttons? Not sure what that sticky stuff is, maybe some surface coating from the factory that eventually deteriorates over time? 

IMG_8953.JPG

IMG_8955.JPG

Very common problem for sure, I will have to find my pictures or I will make some new ones to demonstrate how I clean and refurbish switches I come across

the buttons are a base white plastic with an automotive black paint, it is then laser etched with and icon to reveal whatever the switch is designed for be it window or door locks etc

that is then clear coated to protect the surface from scratches as obviously it would leave white lines exposed when illuminated, it is this clear coat that degrades over time... interestingly from finger oils etc.... I use a different type of clear coat that is stabilized and I also add a light wax afterwards.

its a busy week coming up but I will see if I can post more to show the process

• 4 weeks later...

I just tried some Goo Gone too and with a bit of rubbing and several applications it still didn’t get the sticky coating off so I left it alone fearing more harm than good if I kept at it. Looking back at my photos I think what happened was possibly technician had a bit of brake fluid on the finger when I went in for fluid flush because the button was clean & intact before but dirty after. Now knowing the surface is clear coat, I see how brake fluid could alter that surface easily.

Thanks, I may try a little diluted rubbing alcohol next. I don't think the warm water and dish soap would do it since it seems to be a sticky clear coat coming off but I may try that as well anyway. not a huge deal, but being an anal guy I notice it on occasion. Here is a photo of what I am talking about. The simple green took some of it off, but the rest on the outside surface is a bit stubborn. Then if it comes off the button will be a bit darker than the other buttons with that coating gone but at least won't look crapy.

IMG_6346.JPG

30 minutes ago, JanDaMan said:

Thanks, I may try a little diluted rubbing alcohol next. I don't think the warm water and dish soap would do it since it seems to be a sticky clear coat coming off but I may try that as well anyway. not a huge deal, but being an anal guy I notice it on occasion. Here is a photo of what I am talking about. The simple green took some of it off, but the rest on the outside surface is a bit stubborn. Then if it comes off the button will be a bit darker than the other buttons with that coating gone but at least won't look crapy.

IMG_6346.JPG

You could always try Mother's Polish "Back to Black"

It would get you the look you want I'd best, but it's greasy to the touch, so probably not worth it, but you could always try and see if you tolerate it. 

Take care what you use or you may end up with this. (08 LP640) I think either goof off or some thing else I tried did this.

On the Ferrari forum I think they suggested using Easy off oven cleaner but search around and you will find many recommendations, I ended up changing my buttons out but the new ones became sticky very quickly so I think it is just an age thing and not a use problem, not noticeable in the picture but the whole housing not just the buttons are sticky.

The solution seems to be having the buttons refinished, that was what I ended up doing but you need to remove them and send them off. The two main companies that do this work are both good I believe.

On another note I have lost one of my buttons from the instrument binnacle, 08 LP640 the button that has the 2 zeros on it and am having a hard time finding a replacement, any suggestions?20190418_100601[16930].jpg

I can't help but think the Easy Off oven cleaner suggestion was an April Fool's joke. That is one of the harshest cleaners sold to the public. 

Yeah stimpy I will definitely be careful of what I use, that is if I even decide to mess with it more. The very light application of Goo Gone I tried showed a little black on my cloth applicator so I figured that's not good. To the most extreme, if this stuff is in fact gooey clear coat stuff then we know acetone would take that off, but I sure am not trying that ha ha. Next in line for severe may be paint thinner. I have used that with success on my license plate stickers to get the old sticker goo off after removing the old sticker and it does not harm the shine on the license plate (however may be too strong for the buttons). The back to black sounds like I may try that next since it is meant for rubber or may try the very diluted rubbing alcohol. I have some 3M cleaner/wax that works wonders on restoring shine to my clear bra, so that may be an option. I guess the trickiness here is to remove the gooey clear coat and leave the rest of the black button surface intact, so there is definitely a fine line.

Jan. If you want to pm or email me your mailing address I will send you a container of the material I use for this issue 

Thanks for the offer. I sent you my address if you have something that works that would be great. Actually the R doesn't look too bad right now that I got off some more of the gummy stuff, although it is now slightly different in appearance from the other buttons. I was just afraid of messing with it further so I left it as is for now.

IMG_0310.JPG

I bought Krud Kutter and it seems to work well.  I used a q-tip and lightly went over the sticky buttons.  I will post more pictures later.  

IMG_6404.JPG

IMG_6400.jpg

On 4/18/2019 at 7:20 AM, yellomurci said:

Take care what you use or you may end up with this. (08 LP640) I think either goof off or some thing else I tried did this.

The solution seems to be having the buttons refinished, that was what I ended up doing but you need to remove them and send them off. The two main companies that do this work are both good I believe.

20190418_100601[16930].jpg

This is why I used alcohol and my fingers to clean off the buttons. Too much friction will cause the buttons damage. 

Just an FYI for those seeking help on this.

There was a guy on F_chat that when by the screen name Dave rocks ( Dave Lelonek )that restores buttons and switches.

I do not know him personally I just remember him because he lives in Orchard Park, NY (Buffalo NY) I grew up there.

Anyways he is now banned from F_chat however I can access some of his threads on this subject .

It seams as he has a good bit on knowledge and experience in restoring buttons so this may be of help for those having problems here.

Below are a couple YouTube videos from him. Again this is not an endorsement of him or his services, so do your own due diligence.

Best of luck, Vic

• 1 year later...

Well back to the sticky buttons. My wife was complaining of this sticky stuff on her umbrella handle and after looking and feeling it, it seemed identical to the typical sticky button crap (coating going bad I suspect). I tried a test on her umbrella handle with the products shown and by far the Zaino Leather In A Bottle worked wonders. The Bug & Tar remover was a second best so I tried a larger side comparison with the Zaino and Bug/Tar remover. Then I tried the Zaino on my MBZ SL600 buttons and it worked it great. Its funny why it works because its just a leather conditioner but it seems to mix & blend with the sticky stuff without too much rubbing and not get gummy like the other products shown. Next to try on my Lambo buttons when I get the nerve to try the Zaino on them. But to sum up, I was real pleased how this Zaino stuff worked on the umbrella handle and MBZ buttons with no harm.

IMG_5289[1].JPG

IMG_E5292[1].JPG

IMG_E5303[1].JPG

IMG_E5338[1].JPG

IMG_5317[1].JPG

IMG_5318[1].JPG

IMG_5336[1].JPG

I'm going to go ahead and make a request to have you take the last picture again, but without the handle in it :lol2:

All joking aside, that looks great! No residue after when using it? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2021 at 10:18 AM, Destructo said:

I'm going to go ahead and make a request to have you take the last picture again, but without the handle in it :lol2:

All joking aside, that looks great! No residue after when using it? 

That's right, there was no residue after using it. It did tend to have a bit more shine than the bug & tar remover but I'm thinking that may go away over time. I didn't try it on my actual buttons yet, but will eventually try it on the outside of my R shown above since that needs some work. Poster rushdriven seems to have done good with that Krud Cutter stuff too, and also seemed to leave a little shine on the button.