Jump to content
Old Guy Garage

Straight piped my Murci, How To!

Recommended Posts

Ok guys. I finally got the cats out.  Passenger side didn’t take very long.  The drivers side nut snapped.   I sprayed lube to get clamp to move so I can access the second nut.  That was still a bitch to get off.  I spent a good 2 hours fighting to get the second nut off.  

Thanks to everyone’s help I was able to get the cats out without having to raise engine and I didn’t have to remove sway bar.   Tomorrow I will installing the pipes.  Can’t wait to hear the results. 

65F1748A-E626-43DF-81AA-1AE0D78073A9.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So what coolant line was it that leaked in the orange Murci? and why so much oil smoke from the G?

Your car sounds wicked, are you east or west coast FL?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, yellomurci said:

So what coolant line was it that leaked in the orange Murci? and why so much oil smoke from the G?

Your car sounds wicked, are you east or west coast FL?

It was the typical coolant hose from the front of the engine that goes to the heater core. That hose just has to be replaced every 10 years or less because it's right next to the exhaust manifold.

Knowing Tavarish, the oil spitting out from the Gallardo is probable due to blown oil seals in the turbos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Old Guy Garage said:

Did you mention you have the LOC exhaust as well? Can't wait to hear the results.

Catless and LOC sounds great at full throttle, but there is a nasty rasp mid-powerband with light throttle input. I literally had to change my driving style to avoid it on my '03. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, whiteout said:

Catless and LOC sounds great at full throttle, but there is a nasty rasp mid-powerband with light throttle input. I literally had to change my driving style to avoid it on my '03. 

Yep, right there is the rub with the 6.2 engine. 

And it's why I have tried 20 different combinations of the exhaust (different primary, secondary, muffler, tips, valved combinations) to end up where I am now.

The 6.2 not only gets ugly raspy with too free flowing of an exhaust, it also has a tendency to drone around 2500 to 3000rpm (crusing speeds) to the point of causing mental illness.

Here's where I am right now, and probably where I will stay, but I wouldn't recommend this for someone starting with a stock exhaust, I just used what I had acquired in trial and error to get here:

Fabspeed Sport Cats with the valves permanently closed

Stock secondary cats

Larini muffler

Larini tips

Now my car has some sound to it, but not a lot. It's much better than just a stock exhaust which sounded like a regular car. But the key is it has zero drone and rasp. And that is huge.

There's nothing more ridiculous than having to shift constantly between 4th, 5th, and 6th gear while driving on the freeway to stay out of the drone range (2500-3000rpm) due to the varying speed of traffic.

And the rasp is unacceptable for Lamborghini's. The look you get on people's faces is not priceless.

Here's what my car sounds like now (starting at 9:24):

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/2/2019 at 12:09 PM, whiteout said:

Catless and LOC sounds great at full throttle, but there is a nasty rasp mid-powerband with light throttle input. I literally had to change my driving style to avoid it on my '03. 

I finally had a chance to test drive with the new setup for my 05 Roadster:

- LOC exhaust

- secondary delete

- fabspeed primary delete 

- Reid air intake 

at first I didn’t notice much of a difference.   It sounded a little louder at idle.  Sadly I don’t think I have the highly desired high pitch F1 sound I was looking for.  I didn’t get to drive on fwy so I didn’t get a chance to go wide open on load.   Maybe tomorrow.   What I surprised to notice was that I no longer hear the Reid intakes.   Another surprise is that I didn’t get the smelly exhaust that people have been complaining about.   Nothing more than what I was used to before I deleted the primaries.   Thankfully I don’t have any CEL.   Another observation is that I no longer have a rasp at mid band rpm range.   Unfortunately I do hear/have a pronounced drone more than before.  

 

Il going to keep this setup and drive for a couple runs before I swap the LOC with TUBI which I happen to have.   From what I’ve read, I will not likely find tubi giving me higher pitch than LOC.   

My friends heard me drive up  today and he ran out and told me he noticed the sound is much improved.   I shouldn’t be complaining so much.   The sound is definitely improved but I will not stop until I get the higher pitch.   I know others have tried multiple combinations so I’ll take any suggestion that will make the murc a “screamer” - short of trading up for a lp640

 

Thank you in advance

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Inahi said:

I finally had a chance to test drive with the new setup for my 05 Roadster:

- LOC exhaust

- secondary delete

- fabspeed primary delete 

- Reid air intake 

at first I didn’t notice much of a difference.   It sounded a little louder at idle.  Sadly I don’t think I have the highly desired high pitch F1 sound I was looking for.  I didn’t get to drive on fwy so I didn’t get a chance to go wide open on load.   Maybe tomorrow.   What I surprised to notice was that I no longer hear the Reid intakes.   Another surprise is that I didn’t get the smelly exhaust that people have been complaining about.   Nothing more than what I was used to before I deleted the primaries.   Thankfully I don’t have any CEL.   Another observation is that I no longer have a rasp at mid band rpm range.   Unfortunately I do hear/have a pronounced drone more than before.  

 

Il going to keep this setup and drive for a couple runs before I swap the LOC with TUBI which I happen to have.   From what I’ve read, I will not likely find tubi giving me higher pitch than LOC.   

My friends heard me drive up  today and he ran out and told me he noticed the sound is much improved.   I shouldn’t be complaining so much.   The sound is definitely improved but I will not stop until I get the higher pitch.   I know others have tried multiple combinations so I’ll take any suggestion that will make the murc a “screamer” - short of trading up for a lp640

 

Thank you in advance

 

I seem to remember that the exhaust that produced to best FI sound on a murci was the kreissieg but it is expensive. 

See if you can find some you tube vids.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, yellomurci said:

I seem to remember that the exhaust that produced to best FI sound on a murci was the kreissieg but it is expensive. 

See if you can find some you tube vids.

If I believed paying $20k for the Kreissieg would definitely give my Murci the same awesome F1 sound that it gives an LP640, I would buy it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2019 at 5:25 PM, Inahi said:

Love the videos.  Keep them coming!

I have a 05 Roadster with LOC and secondary delete.  You inspired me to delete the primaries so i ordered a set from fabspeed after seeing your video.  Question:  People have complained about the exhaust smell as being difficult to cope with.  Do you feel its bad?  I don't know how many roadster owners have taken straight pipe route.  I wonder if F1 sound still outweighs the side affects.  Any input is greatly appreciated. 

I'm straight piped, formally twin turbo now n/a.  All my emissions are deleted too.  I think the sound is worth it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...