V10 swap into.....

BLK85

Way too much work.  My 74 Jag may need a new engine as of this past weekend and they sell kits to swap Chevy small blocks.  Could have a 383 stroker with 3 times the power of a stock Jag I6 for less $.  

The above sounds cool but completing it is a different story.

1 hour ago, Chipster said:

Way too much work.  My 74 Jag may need a new engine as of this past weekend and they sell kits to swap Chevy small blocks.  Could have a 383 stroker with 3 times the power of a stock Jag I6 for less $.  

Out of genuine curiosity, never been much of a Jag guy, but I have a lot of respect for their place in history and duration as a company. If you are rebuilding the I6 in it, how much of it needs to be proprietary Jag parts. Is there no aftermarket producers? 

41 minutes ago, Destructo said:

Out of genuine curiosity, never been much of a Jag guy, but I have a lot of respect for their place in history and duration as a company. If you are rebuilding the I6 in it, how much of it needs to be proprietary Jag parts. Is there no aftermarket producers? 

It's more so labor because many won't work on them.  Indy shop last year quoted me like 3-4k per head for a head and valve job.  There are some aftermarket suspension and brakes parts but even OEM parts are hard to find.  Full rebuilds are typically 10k.  It's a lot for car that's only worth 5-10k, it's an XJ6.  Now I can see spending that on an XKE though.  

2 hours ago, Chipster said:

Any swap is a lot of work. Even the so called "easy" LS swap in anything isnt easy. But swapping a 40k+ engine into a 2k car seems dumb. But still cool! 

After I posted this I cam across a picture of a Ferrari twin tubo V8(assume a 488 engine) swapped into like a 70ish Mustang. 

4 hours ago, BLK85 said:

Any swap is a lot of work. Even the so called "easy" LS swap in anything isnt easy. But swapping a 40k+ engine into a 2k car seems dumb. But still cool! 

After I posted this I cam across a picture of a Ferrari twin tubo V8(assume a 488 engine) swapped into like a 70ish Mustang. 

If it was the SEMA car, it was a 430 engine with aftermarket twin turbos in a 67 Mustang I believe. 

59 minutes ago, BLK85 said:

Thats the one. 

Oddly enough it's kind of a backyard build, IMO. Sourced the engine on eBaY, didn't even rebuild it, slapped Nelson TT's on it and called it good. Funny how perception works in the aftermarket world I suppose. Still, cool build and execution, but i'm too much of a perfectionist to get into that game.