Airbag Code

Stimpy

Add me to the list of Murci's with the airbag light coming on. I had it cleared, and it came back after a couple of days.

I finally had the code read today by a Leonardo computer (not the official Lambo computer):

Error code: 14

Error description: Passenger front airbag inhibition switch - Defective signal

In my case, it's both the main airbag light and the passenger airbag light that are coming on. 

Has anyone had this code, and if so, what was your fix?

3 hours ago, V12noise said:

My passenger air-bag light is on and enabling or disabling the airbag via the key has no effect.  Subscribed!

Could be the same issue. Is your main airbag light on also?

The problem with troubleshooting the Murci airbag yourself is that once the light goes on, it can only be turned off with an expensive diagnostic system. None of the reasonably priced OBDII’s can do it.

This issue has been haunting all VAG products for a while. There was a related recall on many Audi models. I doubt they issued a recall for Murci's, but worth checking. The fix is replacing the sensor, or buying a cheap emulator to bypass the sensor. Not sure if this one would work. You would need to check a wiring diagram, but I'm guessing it's identical systems.

Which sensor? Not clear my issue is a sensor. It might be the airbag switch or wiring. Others have issues with the clock spring in the steering wheel.

The occupancy sensor was what I was talking about. They are listed as a standard safety feature on Mucielagos, so I assume you have one in the passenger seat. I chased an identical sounding issue on an S4 of similar vintage years ago. Traced through the steering column, passenger switch, and it ended up being the sensor. Granted, it's an electrical issue, so could be the wiring, switch, control module, etc. I just know those occupancy sensors tend to fail at about ten years old on 2004-2010 models and sooner even on some newer models hence the recall. It was pretty apparent in my case that it was the sensor. I could clear the code and it would be fine until someone sat in the passenger seat. Also agree it's a pain in the ass that most OBDII scanners can't clear it. I would try the same thing to test. Hope that helps and good luck.

1 hour ago, AudiBull said:

The occupancy sensor was what I was talking about. They are listed as a standard safety feature on Mucielagos, so I assume you have one in the passenger seat. I chased an identical sounding issue on an S4 of similar vintage years ago. Traced through the steering column, passenger switch, and it ended up being the sensor. Granted, it's an electrical issue, so could be the wiring, switch, control module, etc. I just know those occupancy sensors tend to fail at about ten years old on 2004-2010 models and sooner even on some newer models hence the recall. It was pretty apparent in my case that it was the sensor. I could clear the code and it would be fine until someone sat in the passenger seat. Also agree it's a pain in the ass that most OBDII scanners can't clear it. I would try the same thing to test. Hope that helps and good luck.

We don't have an occupancy sensor. That's why there's a keyed switch on the right side of the dash to turn on and off the passenger airbag manually instead of an occupancy sensor that automatically turn it off for you. We do have a sensor in the seat belt buckle, but I am not sure if that feeds the airbag computer.

My code is related to that manual seat belt switch. It's not that expensive by Lambo standards ($100), but it could be the wiring connectors or something else. 

I will look into that for you tomorrow Stimpy, there are a few issues that will cause this but I will narrow them down best I can and make you a list

On 4/13/2019 at 3:24 PM, Stimpy said:

Could be the same issue. Is your main airbag light on also?

The problem with troubleshooting the Murci airbag yourself is that once the light goes on, it can only be turned off with an expensive diagnostic system. None of the reasonably priced OBDII’s can do it.

No just the passenger one.  I seem to recall it goes out after the car starts moving - need to double-check when I drive the car again....

8 hours ago, Digibeam said:

I will look into that for you tomorrow Stimpy, there are a few issues that will cause this but I will narrow them down best I can and make you a list

That's awesome, thanks Digibeam!

Hey stimpy.  If you suspect the seat belt switch, I would first swap the passenger and driver side.  If code follows them you know it’s a switch.  If it doesn’t follow then it’s something else and you saved time and cost of unnecessary switch 

code 14 sounds more like passenger side airbag.  Process of elimination is required.  

I don’t think it’s the switch.  All the switch does is either enable or disable the dash airbag.  Wouldn’t throw a fault code.  I suggest looking at bag first.  One inexpensive way($3) to confirm if your bag is good is to go on ebay and get a airbag bypass resistor.  They sell the stuff for body shops that do quick fix and don’t replace airbag.  They put resistor inline to fool the air bag module into thinking the airbag is present and functional.  Using the resistor will quickly tell you if the airbag is good or not.  The murc has two squibs so you need two resistors for passenger side.  Only 1 is needed for steering wheel.  

Let me know if you still have questions.  I used to be a airbag engineer for Lexus.  Fundamentally airbags are designed with the same basic principals so the make and model really don’t matter.  Especially with older generation vehicles 

good luck 

7 hours ago, Inahi said:

Hey stimpy.  If you suspect the seat belt switch, I would first swap the passenger and driver side.  If code follows them you know it’s a switch.  If it doesn’t follow then it’s something else and you saved time and cost of unnecessary switch 

code 14 sounds more like passenger side airbag.  Process of elimination is required.  

I don’t think it’s the switch.  All the switch does is either enable or disable the dash airbag.  Wouldn’t throw a fault code.  I suggest looking at bag first.  One inexpensive way($3) to confirm if your bag is good is to go on ebay and get a airbag bypass resistor.  They sell the stuff for body shops that do quick fix and don’t replace airbag.  They put resistor inline to fool the air bag module into thinking the airbag is present and functional.  Using the resistor will quickly tell you if the airbag is good or not.  The murc has two squibs so you need two resistors for passenger side.  Only 1 is needed for steering wheel.  

Let me know if you still have questions.  I used to be a airbag engineer for Lexus.  Fundamentally airbags are designed with the same basic principals so the make and model really don’t matter.  Especially with older generation vehicles 

good luck 

Thanks, Inahi!

From the shop manual, I can't see anywhere where the airbag is taking in the seat belt sensors. I think the seat belt sensors are just for the dash lights and the airbag system is self contained with the crash detection being done inside the airbag ecu and just wiring to the airbags and the airbag switch. The pic of the wiring does not show anything going to the seats or anywhere but the airbags and the airbag switch.

From the manual: "The SDM is the control unit governing all the airbag system functions. The SDM is the only control unit in the system. It contains both the accelerometer
and the error memory."

The shop manual shows a code for too high of resistance to the airbag switch as well as too low of resistance to the airbag switch. So if there is something wrong with the switch or the wiring to the switch, it would set off a code, which appears to the be the code I am getting.

2019-04-17 08.02.21.jpg

2019-04-17 08.01.15.jpg

2019-04-17 08.05.02.jpg

Hello Stimpy

I wish I knew the exact code.  SRS Code 14 is usually OEM unique.  There should be a 5 digit code which is SAE standard that would help to guide us in the right direction. 

For example: SRS Code 14 for Toyota is SAE Code B0101.  Many reported codes for B0101 are associated with a open in the Spiral Cable.  But if your indicated passenger side, then i am at a loss. 

Whenever i suspect a harness / connection issue, I with the basics. 

If code says OPEN Circuit then go to the particular Airbag, disconnect the Airbag, short out the connector that traces back to the SDM module (see image #1).  You should immediately see code change from Open to Short (in Toyota's case, that would be code  13 or SAE B0100).  If you get a short code then the Airbag is bad.  If you get still get a OPEN code then disconnect the spiral cable and do the same test again.  if you get a short code then the Spiral cable is Bad. 

Note #1:  The SDM or AirBag ECU's are pretty basic (for our generation Murc).  The SDM monitors in real time and only when fault is detected.  When fault is cleared, the system resets itself.   Unlike emissions codes that are governed by Federal Laws that require successful multi trip passes before code is reset (or by use of a tool).  SDM doesn't have such requirement so the benefit of a tool is to read the DTC but not needed to clear that code.  

Note #2: If the Spiral cable has a OPEN, your horn will likely also be affected since the HORN circuit also goes though the Spiral cable.  So next time anyone has a SRS light and suspects Spiral Cable, See if your HORN works.

Note #3:  You should be very careful trying to measure resistance of the Airbag.  I never recommend it.  You could have enough current in your OHM meter to set off the bag.  It's safer to examine the integrity of the harness.  If you do suspect the airbag as being defective, get a 2.2 OHM resistor (like one from ebay) and insert inline.  If you light goes out then the Airbag is defective. 

Here's the link to Ebay site selling the Airbag simulator:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SRS-Airbag-Simulator-Emulator-Resistor-Bypass-Fault-Finding-DiagnosticTool-Blk/254197411651?epid=546666591&hash=item3b2f58af43:g:tNkAAOSwR4dcsE3i

Good Luck!

srs testing.png

Yeah, that's the rub with your troubleshooting suggestions - unlike other cars, once the airbag light comes on, I have to schedule an appt with a shop that has an advanced computer to reset the light.

If it comes on again, I am just going to replace the switch, clean the connectors, and hope that fixes it.

I really don't think it's my clock spring since I am also getting passenger airbag light, and the code was stated as an issue with the airbag switch.

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a few weeks, and plenty of driving, and still no return of the airbag light. Last time I had it reset, it took only an hour of driving for it to return.  We'll see.