Virginia Vehicle Property Tax

camaro97

Thinking of temporarily residing in Northern Virginia for 1-3 years. Planning to keep primary house and residency in my current state. Looking to take our 4 cars which includes an 01 Diablo. It seems VA has a hefty yearly vehicle property tax and nonresidents are required (https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/46.2-656/) to register their vehicle with VA if it resides in the state for more than 6 months. I calculated the vehicle property tax at $12/year based on the NADA value of $313k. Does anyone know of any creative, legal ways to significantly reduce or avoid paying this tax? I'm used to vehicle state/local ownership costs at $60/year regardless of make/model/value.

The Montana option seems to be blowing up in a bad way down in Georgia. But how that'll pan out in other states has yet to be seen.

Whatever you do, don't register them in Michigan (highest insurance rates in the nation, by a long shot.) As a state, we have the highest percentage of non-insured drivers (20+%) and are required to buy "unlimited medical" to cover the cost of people who don't have insurance and get in a wreck. So it can always be worse! 

Where in VA?  I live in Chantilly but mine are registered at my property in Fredericksburg.  Since the Pantera is an antique I dont deal with this now but in the past the valuation was all over the place.  I.e., when I still had my Diablo in 2015, they valued it at like $37k lol (so assessed annual tax was about 1275 but there was 220 relief, so about 1055 a year).  Diablo was worth more so I have no idea how they came up with it but sure wasn't going to complain.

When I had my 05 Gallardo in 2016, they valued it at $104k (yearly bill was about $2800 after about $200 relief) .  So it was hard to tell what to expect.  Try contacting meandmyredcorvette on the other forum.  He has 1 or 2 6.0s and lives near me so he can probably give a better idea on how much they value them at.  Hope that helps!

1 hour ago, Destructo said:

The Montana option seems to be blowing up in a bad way down in Georgia. But how that'll pan out in other states has yet to be seen.

Whatever you do, don't register them in Michigan (highest insurance rates in the nation, by a long shot.) As a state, we have the highest percentage of non-insured drivers (20+%) and are required to buy "unlimited medical" to cover the cost of people who don't have insurance and get in a wreck. So it can always be worse! 

I read something about Montana not being a great option anymore.

Interesting factoid about Michigan! Insurance is high in New Mexico too for the uninsured and high prevalence of DUI.

11 minutes ago, Chipster said:

Where in VA?  I live in Chantilly but mine are registered at my property in Fredericksburg.  Since the Pantera is an antique I dont deal with this now but in the past the valuation was all over the place.  I.e., when I still had my Diablo in 2015, they valued it at like $37k lol (so assessed annual tax was about 1275 but there was 220 relief, so about 1055 a year).  Diablo was worth more so I have no idea how they came up with it but sure wasn't going to complain.

When I had my 05 Gallardo in 2016, they valued it at $104k (yearly bill was about $2800 after about $200 relief) .  So it was hard to tell what to expect.  Try contacting meandmyredcorvette on the other forum.  He has 1 or 2 6.0s and lives near me so he can probably give a better idea on how much they value them at.  Hope that helps!

Near the Alexandria area :)

My concern with the state law is if the car resides in the VA for 6 months, then I'm "technically" supposed to register. We would be renting in VA. I am thinking of just keeping my home state driver licenses and car registrations which I could probably be OK with for 1 year but may have trouble if we stay longer.

Thanks for the point of contact. I will ping the user.

If renting and since the car wouldn't be out all the time, you might be able to get away with ever registering that one.  Maybe not so lucky with the daily drivers though.