Thinking about buying my first gallardo..

93mk4

Whats up guys, long time lurker first time poster. I have been spit balling the idea of stepping up to the big boy league and buying my first super car. I was between a cheaper/entry level car like an r35 or v8 r8 as i wasnt sure if i wanted to spend gallardo money. After some consideration i feel that id rather spend the extra 25-30k and get a gallardo like ive always planned. Ive seen a few for decent prices but i felt the mileage was quite high (40-50k) for something i will be dropping this kind of money on. I do have a few questions for you current and past owners out there - 

1. what years should i be avoiding and what common issues should i look out for?

2. It would be extremely beneficial if i could find something that already took a nice portion of the depreciation hit, at what point (mileage wise) do we usually see these cars stop depreciating. From what ive seen the pricing is all over the spectrum. You have guys asking 100k for a 48,000 mile car and guys asking 100k for a 17,000 mile car.

3. What is my best option for financing? Credit is not an issue, down payment is not an issue. However, i would like to find a company that will let me do a longer term loan on a used vehicle like this. This most likely will not be a purchase that i will keep longer that 1-2 years and will mostly just be an entry into the super car world to get the feel of it and decide what i want to do next. 

11 hours ago, 93mk4 said:

Whats up guys, long time lurker first time poster. I have been spit balling the idea of stepping up to the big boy league and buying my first super car. I was between a cheaper/entry level car like an r35 or v8 r8 as i wasnt sure if i wanted to spend gallardo money. After some consideration i feel that id rather spend the extra 25-30k and get a gallardo like ive always planned. Ive seen a few for decent prices but i felt the mileage was quite high (40-50k) for something i will be dropping this kind of money on. I do have a few questions for you current and past owners out there - 

1. what years should i be avoiding and what common issues should i look out for?

2. It would be extremely beneficial if i could find something that already took a nice portion of the depreciation hit, at what point (mileage wise) do we usually see these cars stop depreciating. From what ive seen the pricing is all over the spectrum. You have guys asking 100k for a 48,000 mile car and guys asking 100k for a 17,000 mile car.

3. What is my best option for financing? Credit is not an issue, down payment is not an issue. However, i would like to find a company that will let me do a longer term loan on a used vehicle like this. This most likely will not be a purchase that i will keep longer that 1-2 years and will mostly just be an entry into the super car world to get the feel of it and decide what i want to do next. 

So what's changed lately that is making you go for it? According to your last posts, it's been on your mind some more before. Not a problem, but it sounded like you were wanting to invest in your business more last time you thought about buying an early Gallardo?

Ideally, you'd want the newest year, lowest mileage you can afford comfortably. Make sure you research what maintenance costs are going to be and major repairs. If you get an early e-gear car to consider the cost of pump replacement and the associated parts and labor (unless you do it yourself). 

Lots to consider. 

• 2 months later...