Installed the Full Capristo LP640 - Not Happy

Toulbox01

In my search for an exhaust for the LP640 and the numerous options out there, I was inspired by the Murcielago GT1 Car and it's Murcielago F1 Scream and wanted something similar. 

My first preference was a set up from but Avante Garde Exotics, however I need something with valves and they didn't offer it. My Aventador has a Kressieg system which is 100% madness!! So naturally Kressieg was the way to go, however, after some convincing from the Capristo dealer here and online reviews regarding Capristo being a superior brand & quality... I decided to go with the full Capristo set up https://capristoexhaust.com/product/lamborghini-murcielago-lp640-complete-valved-exhaust-system/ , BMC Filters and ECU Tune.

My first impression - the system looks amazing, hard to beat. However, Kressiegs quality of welding blows Capristo away.

We pulled the entire motor out (see photo's attached)

Trial No 1 - Set up was a full system new headers, straight pipes full cat deletes, BMC filters & ECU tune. 

Sound: With cat deletes, idle is very loud, raspy and take off can sound pretty average like an old 4 cylinder Japanese car if you dont clutch it right.. Almost as though the exhaust pressure is fighting against itself... maybe a cross pipe would help.

Once you're off though, from idle up to ~4000RPM the sound is just awesome, it's a controlled quality deep raspy echo.. However after that, full throttle it to redline and all it does is stabilise the sound.. no scream, more a bark. See Youtube links. 1) Taking off from lights > https://youtu.be/cDc8N7UjI3M 2) At 11 seconds you'll see the Murci drive past and hear the Capristo at 12-13 second mark > https://youtu.be/dGT_2W_Wudw - Note my White Aventador with the Kressieg is also in this clip - you can hear its howl that turns into a scream, before the car arrives in shot from the 5 second mark in the video.

Power wise, the car definitely increased in power particularly above ~3500rpm, however, below that felt about the same. We haven't dyno'd the car yet. 

Trial No 2 - Following my complaints to the workshop, they recommended installing front cats, to help remove the 4 cylinder sound at take off and get that Murcielago scream top end. Impact - raspy 4 cylinder sound is gone, the sound upto 4000rpm is even better, deeper and cleaner, alot of the raspy rattles have gone. However, it's done nothing to the top end scream. Power is definitely up, all over the range particularly below 4000rpm.

Overall, I'm 50/50 about the system - below 4000RPM the sound is hard to beat, above that - it is a massive disappointment. The car doesn't have the howl of a Kressieg, in the Aventador, people hear you coming way before you arrive, the Capristo would be nice to have that low down howl and definitely missing the F1 scream. I've gone back to Capristo, looking for help from them to get that scream, just waiting to see if they can help.

If Capristo can't I'll either remove the cats back and replace with a new system - any tips appreciated, ideally something I can add valves to. otherwise, if there's any tips on modding the existing system, I'd appreciate those as well.

FB_IMG_1551206507900.jpg

FB_IMG_1551206511669.jpg

FB_IMG_1551206515388.jpg

FB_IMG_1551206518805.jpg

IMG_20190225_174714.jpg

IMG_20190225_174839.jpg

IMG_20190225_174845.jpg

IMG_20190225_174852.jpg

Sorry to hear you are disappointed with your setup.  I have not heard a Capristo on an LP640.  I have Kreissieg on my LP640.  Love the way it sounds.  I installed LOC/LNB on my previous LP640 - enjoy the sound of the Kreissieg much more. 

3 hours ago, E7ITE said:

Someone here on LP was selling an LP640 KSG exhaust just last week.

Looks like it was marked sold on 5/31.

7 hours ago, rushdriven said:

Looks like it was marked sold on 5/31.

Also sounded like the seller wasn't happy with the sound of the KSG he was selling, and had a new, undisclosed exhaust on the way.

2 hours ago, Stimpy said:

Also sounded like the seller wasn't happy with the sound of the KSG he was selling, and had a new, undisclosed exhaust on the way.

I think this was my old exhaust.  Very happy with it --only sold because I got rid of my LP640 for an Aventador.  New owner just installed it and loves it.  

I wouldn't buy from Capristo again - i had a valved system installed on my speciale and it was bloody expensive and didn't scream as it should have done. The low down pitch was similar to what you experienced on the Murci.

I have a Capristo on my 360 and it is fantastic, with a glorious burble at low speed and spine chilling wail at high rpm..

But conversely, I've heard youtube clips of Capristos on LP640s and it doesnt give it the high pitched scream.  You dont get full justice with a youtube video but it gives you an idea. I'm not surprised to hear the OP comments.

From my experience and what I've seen and heard, a Fabspeed system in conjunction with sport cats, or decat, gives you the best sound for your buck.  

Thanks for all the insights, sounds like it's been quite the journey. Hopefully, it ends on a happy note, but as V12noise mentioned the Fabspeed set up sounds great lately. They are a sponsor here and could hook you up if you decide to go that route.

Thanks again for sharing and keep us updated.

For what its worth, the pre-LP does not have the high pitch that the LP's have.

My 2002: didn't realize there was an exhaust on it already so bought a DTP exhaust.  Car sounds very bassy and boomy.  Previous exhaust unknown maybe an early version of LOC who knows, it was so quiet i thought it was stock.  I can't even imagine how bassy and boomy the car gets with headers and primary cat deletes.  Mine with just the DTP exhaust was borderline unbearable how bassy it is. 

My 2007: had stock exhaust, sounded high pitch.  When I replaced it with the DTP exhaust, I realized the oem exhaust valves were stuck in the open position and maybe thats why it sounded "louder" than stock and higher pitched.  Tossed it in the dumpster.  Swapped with DTP exhaust and cat deletes and holy hell its ear piercing high pitch.  I've done many hard drives with other exotics and they always tell me that they can't even hear their own cars, all they heard was a banshee screaming somewhere down the road. 

My 2001 Diablo 6.0: has KSG on it.  Sounded pretty good but not high pitched.  Swapped out the primary cats and did test pipes, hoping for a more high pitch.  Car is now louder and more "raw" but still not high pitched. 

So 6.0 sounds "raw" 6.2 sounds "bassy" and 6.5 sounds high pitch from my experience.  With that being said though, your setup doesn't sound great at the upper RPM's.  I'm wondering if the recording just clipped out due to the db output of that exhaust or if its just overly bassy and its drowning out any high pitch sounds.

Sorry you’re not happy with it. Mine came with primary cats still in place due to CA & I like it. Here’s a rookie video I did a few years ago, although I didn’t take the RPM too high as I was just getting used to the car.

Although I like the Capristo and its ability to change quiet to loud with a remote button, I noticed my car & some other video clips with Capristo tend to be kind of farty at the shift points. Not sure why that is. Maybe my RPM is just too low when shifting or I am letting up on the gas a bit out of habbit since this is my first paddle shift car rather than stick. I don't notice it when in the car, but notice it on videos.

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 10:39 PM, JanDaMan said:

Sorry you’re not happy with it. Mine came with primary cats still in place due to CA & I like it. Here’s a rookie video I did a few years ago, although I didn’t take the RPM too high as I was just getting used to the car.

I thought at the end of that video as the door opened we were abut to see what you looked like Dan.

Car sounds good by the way.

Car sounds great and of course, verde Ithaca for the WIN!

On the other Lambo site some one suggested looking at the latest vid from (supercars of London) SOL, I just watched a vid he posted in April this year of his green lp640 and if you want f1 scream this is it, not sure what exhaust it is though.

Not associated with SOL in anyway but check it out.

2 hours ago, yellomurci said:

On the other Lambo site some one suggested looking at the latest vid from (supercars of London) SOL, I just watched a vid he posted in April this year of his green lp640 and if you want f1 scream this is it, not sure what exhaust it is though.

Not associated with SOL in anyway but check it out.

He's using the Fabspeed set up. They are a sponsor here. https://www.fabspeed.com/lamborghini/murcielago/

23 hours ago, yellomurci said:

I thought at the end of that video as the door opened we were abut to see what you looked like Dan.

Car sounds good by the way.

Thanks but my Capristo clip still sounds a bit farty on the shifts, although I just noticed that Fabspeed video did the same. Guess I should be doing 7K+ shifts & see how that sounds. As far as clip of me getting out of the car, not sure who that was driving so fast on a side street...haha. But here’s me stocking up on legalized energy.

WIKDMonstaMan.jpg