Responsibility of Ownership

Destructo

I had an interesting albeit short exchange on a social outlet the other day that got me thinking.

The owner had posted a photo of a drag car Countach with the ridiculous breadbox blower and big V8 taking up the front of the car. He then proceeded to propose the idea of reviving that and doing a new build with a dealer, presumably with another Countach or whatever Lamborghini variety. 

I kindly requested he didn't "ruin a Countach" and suggested a more appropriate platform to use the Vector. It was a gentle rib and poke, not to be taken as gospel, however, I was a little surprised by the response. Essentially it was "You do what you want with your cars and I'll do what I want with mine." And then in typical fashion "people" got "offended" by my notion of "don't ruin it".

Now, the above isn't the issue, just context. Anyone who owns a vehicle is free to do as they see fit and that's fine. BUT it did get me thinking about how people view their possessions.

I recognize that I'm in the minority here, but does anyone else feel that certain (for the sake of argument we'll keep it to Lamborghini) models should be preserved for the next generation of stewards?

We all will die at some point, and essentially everything we "own" will be passed along to another down the line. Whether its a family member or a liquidated estate sale.

Does anyone else feel responsibility to care and maintain these incredible machines (while enjoying them) for the next generation of caretakers? Let me be clear, I'm not advocating putting them in a museum and not driving them. That's worse in my book, but using them properly, keeping them running and maintaining them with proper care?

Open for discussion, no right or wrong answer. Just curious to see what some others might think on this.

The vast majority of Lamborghinis are not exactly crown jewels. Do whatever you want, even if it makes you a douche.

I think you also have to realize a lot of those people attacking you for feeling the way you do, are only doing so in an effort to suck up to Kris......  And their opinions are probably only molded by that....

That guy takes the internet way to serious. 

2 hours ago, porter said:

The vast majority of Lamborghinis are not exactly crown jewels. Do whatever you want, even if it makes you a douche.

:lol2: :lol2: 

I agree, and I wouldn't imagine a plain-jane Gallardo having the same significance as an LP400. I just hate to see something of significance being reduced to a living meme. Agreed though, owners can and should do what they want as it's their property. Even if it does make them a douche, lol.

32 minutes ago, Kevin2772 said:

I think you also have to realize a lot of those people attacking you for feeling the way you do, are only doing so in an effort to suck up to Kris......  And their opinions are probably only molded by that....

Oh, I fully expected that. There are plenty there to kiss ass for "access" and "recognition".  I'm not losing sleep because of the opinions of sheep. ;) It's sure as hell fun to watch though! 

On 6/12/2019 at 7:40 AM, porter said:

Lamborghini owners you mean? I have been amazed at some of the people I have run across in 20 years of ownership. It's certainly

made me pull away from here and any other sites. Goes for Ferrari's as well. Money does not buy class, that's for sure. It's a good lesson

in life though.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I am in the minority. I think that when I buy a car, it is mine. I buy them for me.  I couldn't care less about the next owner,  beyond getting a decent sale. It actually bothers me to think of someone else owning my car at some point. I have never felt the "stewardship role" people talk about.

On 6/18/2019 at 9:53 AM, THIRDGEN said:

Lamborghini owners you mean? I have been amazed at some of the people I have run across in 20 years of ownership. It's certainly

made me pull away from here and any other sites. Goes for Ferrari's as well. Money does not buy class, that's for sure. It's a good lesson

in life though.

It is too bad you have not had more good experiences.  I feel really lucky to have met some great people and made some good friends in the Lamborghini community.

The last thing on my mind with any of my cars is the thought of the next owner.  

The guy with the Countach and blower idea should recreate it exactly as it was, since it is a kitcar. 

I agree in spirit with Destructo, but the problem is that it's just way too hard to determine where the line should be drawn on which cars should not be touched whatsoever, which cars can but should be done in proper taste, and maybe even if nobody should say a thing about modifying cars and people can do whatever the hell they want.

Let's take something a bit more mild. *Real* Lamborghinis and Ferraris of the '70s and '80s getting subtle style treatments and engine work (i.e. bigger, more modern wheels and rubber, proper engine builds). The community seems to be divided on this, but certainly not to the extent of kit car madness, or maybe doing LS swaps into the exotics. The general idea is to keep the DNA of the cars relatively in tact and do what's tasteful.

The Countach for example I've considered relative perfection from a styling standpoint for a car of that vintage - meaning, it had decent non SUV ride height, good looking wheels, etc. which was no all that common back then. I can't say the same for the Boxer from the factory.........nice but could be better. I've seen some work from Caribou that made the BB look a lot more aggressive while still maintaining the overall look (imagine F40 wheels and ride height under a BB body). 

Some could be sticklers for OE wheels but that's going too far IMO. Had the Jalpa only come with the wheels they tended to come with, I'd definitely insist on putting those Silhouette Bravo wheels on them (I know I've seen a few just like this) -  85% of the reason why the Silhouette looks better are probably the wheels. 

There are some kits by RCR for the old GT40 and 917 that are somewhat tempting if one could source the original engine. If you don't pass them off as the real thing, don't see the issue (also very common with the 289/427 Cobras and Daytona coupes). 

It's tricky, but if it's generally distasteful to where many people can easily see why it's a bad idea, then I agree that people should make an effort to discourage those from going through with their stupidities. The amount of energy and time the whole lot of us on this forum have point into cars over their entire lifetime is far too great to merely just ignore desecrations as they come about.