First Service

MurcielagoMike

Hey Folks - new to the forum.

I have a 2006 Murcielago that I shipped to Lamborghini of Dallas due to the check engine light coming on and the AC conking out. I also asked them to do an overall health assessment of the car, as I want to ensure that I get as much done at once, as I live in Memphis with very little access to Lambo mechanics. So I have to ship it to get it repaired. 

I sent it to Lambo of Dallas due to their great reputation and word of mouth. I received an email yesterday denoting my service cost to be $27,500 plus tax for the following:

clutch replacement

15k major service (new plugs/valve adjust etc)

ac compressor replacement

2 front tires

The total cost if I do it all at once is cheaper than the a la cart price, as it saves approx 34 hours due to the engine being out. Just thought I would do a sanity check with folks here to see if this is in the ballpark of their experience. I have seen some people claim clutch replacement as low as $7500, but I want to ensure it is done right and performed by an authorized dealer.

Thanks,

Mike

You gotta give us a few more details.

How many miles on the car? 

E-gear?

If E-gear, what's the SNAP reading on the clutch?

If manual, what's the explanation given for needing a clutch?

Does that price include a new throw out bearing?

What was the stated cause of the check engine light?

What was the stated problem with the A/C compressor? 

Did your front tires look worn? What's the date code on all 4 tires?

Honestly, you may need all that stuff, and that price is not surprising for a dealer, or you may need next to none of it. The clutch could have a lot of life left, the AC compressor may not really be the cause of your AC not working (e.g. the refrigerant is leaking out of a Schrader valve), and you may not be due for a valve adjustment.

A dealer is expensive. For instance, they are going to charge you $4-5K for a compressor and $500 for a drier, and the exact same parts can be purchased from Ecoclim.com in France for $400-500 for the compressor and $50 for the drier. It's a royal pain to change the compressor while the engine is in the car on a gen-1 Murci. I know because I did it, but it's not crazy difficult and can definitely be done in the car.

I have done some math work. Went a bit high on numbers and there price is still is a chunk high. But with out knowing what they are replacing for sure hard to say. Give us a list of parts they plan to replace and can give a better answer. Are they doing clutch and TOB, egear potentiometers? What is being done for check engine light? 

Thanks folks.

It is an e-gear with 20k miles. Dealer said that there was 15% clutch life left, hence the replacement suggestion.  Here is the email that I received. I will be requesting a detailed list of replacement parts in the AM:

Hey Mike,

I wanted to get this estimate out to you before the weekend hits, so you have a little time to digest everything.  I’ll go down the previous list that addresses your concerns, then give you our recommendations.

The check engine light is flagged for misfires on bank 2.  We pulled a spark plug, and it looks like they are original in all likelihood.  This is probably causing sporadic poor running, and we can hear the car stumble at times.

The only oil leak we can find is actually from the oil filter.  All the Murci’s tend to do this over time. Regardless, it would be taken care of during a service.

The Rattle in the back was the passenger air flap.  After resetting the end stops for the inlet, the rattle is gone.

It looks like the compressor for the AC has given up the ghost, which is why it isn’t working.  I’ll get to pricing in a minute, because there is a potential for a lot of labor overlap, depending on what repairs you decide to do.

Lastly, you asked me to take a look at the car overall, and here’s the additional things we found.

The clutch is down to 15%.  Given that you’re right at 20,000 miles, you’ve done pretty well on the life of that clutch, but it’s probably getting pretty close to suddenly slipping while you go down the road.  

The front tires are looking pretty sad as well. $700 to replace.

Here’s where things get tricky when it comes to estimating this stuff.  If I quote you everything separately, you might fall over. We would really suggest replacing the clutch, performing a 15K major service, (with spark plugs, and valve adjust), and replacing the AC compressor.  If we do it all at the same time, you save a ton because the engine is already out of the car.

Complete clutch job by itself, $21000

Compressor by itself, $5408

15K service, by itself in the car, $7725

Total done a la carte, $34133 plus tax

If you combine everything together, done at the same time, you end up at $27500 plus tax because you save about 34 hours of labor.

Let me know what you think.  If you have any questions, or need me to break things down, please don’t hesitate to ask.

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 6:51 PM, Stimpy said:

You gotta give us a few more details.

How many miles on the car? 

E-gear?

If E-gear, what's the SNAP reading on the clutch?

If manual, what's the explanation given for needing a clutch?

Does that price include a new throw out bearing?

What was the stated cause of the check engine light?

What was the stated problem with the A/C compressor? 

Did your front tires look worn? What's the date code on all 4 tires?

Honestly, you may need all that stuff, and that price is not surprising for a dealer, or you may need next to none of it. The clutch could have a lot of life left, the AC compressor may not really be the cause of your AC not working (e.g. the refrigerant is leaking out of a Schrader valve), and you may not be due for a valve adjustment.

A dealer is expensive. For instance, they are going to charge you $4-5K for a compressor and $500 for a drier, and the exact same parts can be purchased from Ecoclim.com in France for $400-500 for the compressor and $50 for the drier. It's a royal pain to change the compressor while the engine is in the car on a gen-1 Murci. I know because I did it, but it's not crazy difficult and can definitely be done in the car.

As Stimpy says from a lambo dealer the compressor is stupid expensive $3-5k but if you look around it is a SD7H15 Diavia and is used on many Euro cars ( I found it on Fiats through to Rolls Royce) even seems to be OE on some late 1990's jeep Cherokees. can be purchased for under $200 in the US

I think I need a new clutch on my compressor so have been looking but will confirm the fit when I find out

57 minutes ago, yellomurci said:

As Stimpy says from a lambo dealer the compressor is stupid expensive $3-5k but if you look around it is a SD7H15 Diavia and is used on many Euro cars ( I found it on Fiats through to Rolls Royce) even seems to be OE on some late 1990's jeep Cherokees. can be purchased for under $200 in the US

I think I need a new clutch on my compressor so have been looking but will confirm the fit when I find out

This is the exact compressor. Only difference is the connector on the compressor wire, but you can splice in the one from the old compressor.

https://www.ecoclim.net/en/compressor/sanden/fix-r134a/sd7h15/p200D71/detail.php

This is a super popular compressor on many cars around the world, but the exact configuration is not common in the US. If you don't get the exact one, you risk issues with the pulley and high/low connection points.

58 minutes ago, Stimpy said:

This is the exact compressor. Only difference is the connector on the compressor wire, but you can splice in the one from the old compressor.

https://www.ecoclim.net/en/compressor/sanden/fix-r134a/sd7h15/p200D71/detail.php

This is a super popular compressor on many cars around the world, but the exact configuration is not common in the US. If you don't get the exact one, you risk issues with the pulley and high/low connection points.

Thanks Stimpy, was looking to find the exact cross that you supplied. Still a grand US but much better than the lambo or please check with our franchised lamborghini dealer sponsors price. 

1 minute ago, yellomurci said:

Thanks Stimpy, was looking to find the exact cross that you supplied. Still a grand US but much better than the lambo or please check with our franchised lamborghini dealer sponsors price. 

You're welcome.

BTW, 483 Euro is not $1000. It's $542.

3 minutes ago, Stimpy said:

You're welcome.

BTW, 483 Euro is not $1000. It's $542.

You are right, I was just going to edit but you got to the post first 

Those $7.5k clutch jobs dont include a TOB and are usually rebuilt clutches. Not that there's anything wrong with a rebuilt clutch if done right. Heck i've seen warped Valeo pressure plates out of the box but that's another story.  

Second, if your misfire was detected by exhaust pressure sensors and you have an aftermarket exhaust, your exhaust could be the problem. I have a fix for that. It could also be a legitimate misfire but I'd like to know for sure. Right now it seems like they are just throwing plugs at it and hope it fixes the misfire.

Update:

Had all the work completed, but there is still a mis fire. The dealer thinks it may be related to one of the coil packs. So far, still on schedule for me to pick it up Saturday.

I’ve been very happy with the level of communication and attention to detail so far by Lamborghini Dallas. I’ll provide an update on how it drives once I get it home.

1 hour ago, MurcielagoMike said:

Update:

Had all the work completed, but there is still a mis fire. The dealer thinks it may be related to one of the coil packs. So far, still on schedule for me to pick it up Saturday.

I’ve been very happy with the level of communication and attention to detail so far by Lamborghini Dallas. I’ll provide an update on how it drives once I get it home.

:icon_thumleft: Glad to hear you're happy with the services thus far. Always nice to hear.

Going back to one of the OP original questions...the clutch job.

TO bearing, resurface (or replace) flywheel, PP, disc...at authorized dealer is $21K?

34 hours book or maintenance guide time?

Is that the price and correct understanding?