Repair of front lift

chucklehead

Have 2004 Lamborghini Murcielago with e-gear. When using front lift, it would go up and immediately go down with flashing front lift light. I was using the Diablo Repairs Koni Lifting System article as reference.

I checked to see if it had the Diablo suspension diagnostics, but my car did not have switch under passenger side dash.

Decided first to replace the power steering fluid in front lift reservoir. Very simple to follow their instructions. Used DEX 4 fluid. Started car and turned steering wheel side to side and try lifting system. No change.

Removed the air filter box on that side and exposed front lifting block and Min/Max switches. Shorted the Min switch and then tried front lift system. It lifted and stayed up. So need new Min switch.

Decided to try temporary fix by playing with the adjustment screw on Min switch. Tried clockwise 1/2 turn. No change. Tried counterclockwise and that worked. Front lift went up and stayed up. Pushed button to lower and it came down. Front lift alert stayed flashing. Made small adjustment clockwise and that seemed to work.

going to order Min switch. This should tide me by until it arrives.

3213F1EE-9066-4A0F-BF12-97606C7AEB0E.jpeg

"I checked to see if it had the Diablo suspension diagnostics, but my car did not have switch under passenger side dash."

That box exists on the 2002-2003 Murcielago, but they took it away starting in 2004.

However, if you look at the diagram in the shop manual below for the Koni computer, it's still the same unit without the switch (#3 in the diagram). The switch just puts 12V onto one of the pins going in the Koni computer. 

So if we can figure out which pin it's adding the 12V, we can add the switch back and get the same onboard diagnostics. Anyone happen to know which pin?

koni.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The connector to short the system to put it in diagnostic mode is by the fuse box behind the panel in the right front floor on 04 Murci. That is only used for diagnostic of the shocks and has nothin to do with lift system. When asked to do so it will blink a code thru the koni key pad that you must count. Codes 1-4 then you will know what shock group is malfunctioning. 

1 hour ago, jefflambo said:

The connector to short the system to put it in diagnostic mode is by the fuse box behind the panel in the right front floor on 04 Murci. That is only used for diagnostic of the shocks and has nothin to do with lift system. When asked to do so it will blink a code thru the koni key pad that you must count. Codes 1-4 then you will know what shock group is malfunctioning. 

Thanks!

I’ll look in there, but interesting... I had heard they removed that diagnostic switch starting in 2004. I’ll be very happy if I find it.

10 hours ago, Stimpy said:

Thanks!

I’ll look in there, but interesting... I had heard they removed that diagnostic switch starting in 2004. I’ll be very happy if I find it.

The switch was removed but there are 2 connectors there both have plugs with no wires in them. 1 is a 4 pin that is used for LDAS. The other is a 2 pin that is the one you must bridge the 2 pins together that puts it into diagnostic mode. But like I said that is just for shock testing not for lift.

3 hours ago, jefflambo said:

The switch was removed but there are 2 connectors there both have plugs with no wires in them. 1 is a 4 pin that is used for LDAS. The other is a 2 pin that is the one you must bridge the 2 pins together that puts it into diagnostic mode. But like I said that is just for shock testing not for lift.

That's awesome! I found the two pin connector and removed the cap. I have the full instructions in the shop manual for using diagnostic mode. Once I get the car back together later this week, I will test it out.

It will be very easy for me to add a on/off switch that can be accessed under the dash so it will be easy to turn on/off diagnostic mode without pulling the panel and crawling under the dash. I'll be able to those errors in the shock system.

I haven't had any dash lights with the lift system, so it is the shock stiffness system that I need to diagnose.

Thanks again, Jeff! That's a huge help! 

2019-07-14 11.17.06.jpg

If your talking about the light in the cluster that blinks when going up/down and locks on when car is lifted it is not included in the diagnostics system. It has to do with the low/high pressure switches.

By shock stiffness what I was referring to is the 1-4 adjustment that lights up in control pad. When one of the shocks stiffness adjuster motors stop working if flashes error light in control pad that's when you would use the diagnostic system. 

42 minutes ago, jefflambo said:

If your talking about the light in the cluster that blinks when going up/down and locks on when car is lifted it is not included in the diagnostics system. It has to do with the low/high pressure switches.

By shock stiffness what I was referring to is the 1-4 adjustment that lights up in control pad. When one of the shocks stiffness adjuster motors stop working if flashes error light in control pad that's when you would use the diagnostic system. 

Yes, it’s the error light on the center console that occasionally flashes. It’s very intermittent, so it will be good to know which shock is causing the error.

I got my shocks in the mail today and wasted no time installing them. Still have an intermittent error light, but the shocks were rebuilt for the leaking issue.

I added added an on/off switch to those 2 wires and now I can turn on diagnostic mode! 

Very happy — thank you again Jeff!

The system has no memory so when the error light starts to blink test the system and see what code comes up. Recommend to use a stethoscope to listen to the shock while someone operates the control pad. Have them keep scrolling the up and down buttons while you listen you will hear the shock that dose not work. Bad part is no one has the electrical portion available that I know of.

1 hour ago, jefflambo said:

The system has no memory so when the error light starts to blink test the system and see what code comes up. Recommend to use a stethoscope to listen to the shock while someone operates the control pad. Have them keep scrolling the up and down buttons while you listen you will hear the shock that dose not work. Bad part is no one has the electrical portion available that I know of.

Yeah, I got the code saying the issue is with the front right shock. I already cleaned the connection, so there's not much left to do about that other than spending $6700 for a new shock. Hard to do that considering that I don't notice any difference in the ride or handling when the error light is off or it is blinking. 

Considering the Diablo's and Murci's with Koni's have 6 of them to potentially go bad, hopefully someone will come up with a way to repair the electrical portion the same way John Custer came up with a way to repair the seals.