*C8 Corvette Images Inside* How likely are you to consider buying a C8 Corvette ?

diabloking

How likely are you to consider buying a C8 Corvette ? ( @ 550whp / 500tq / 0-60 ~3.3sec)  

4 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are you to consider buying a C8 Corvette ?

• Based on what is known about the new C8 Mid-Engine Corvette at this point would you buy one to replace a current vehicle(s) ?
    • Based on what is known about the new C8 Mid-Engine Corvette at this point would you buy as an addition to your current vehicle(s) ?
    • What price point would make the C8 irresistable to you ?

I think GM did a great job with this car. The Corvette has a long history with a uniquely America flair.  IMHO it's design is almost immediately identifiable as a Corvette as there are several evolutionary design pieces. Corvette has a street & racing heritage that it can be proud of and an excited fanbase.  The specs of past variants prove that and I'm from what I have seen so far I am positive the C8 will be no different. Some common complaints are the quality of the interior & the rear end treatment. I think the interior quality seems to have taken a big step up, but I will reserve judgement until I see the actual car. Has interior quality, fit & finish allowed GM to reach the plateau of the current exotics / supercars.....we will see shortly.  The taillights have some people saying they are derivative of the Chevrolet Camaro.. but if you compare the C7 & C8  you can see a definite evolution in design from one to the other.  The new C8 has also taken design & styling cues from earlier generations of Corvettes. The taillights (IMHO) are are a nod to the C7 and make a bold statement while still managing to make a clean break from the past. Corvette & Camaro being from the same manufacturer may have some small similiarities, if not only for the fact that some of the same engineers may have been involved in both projects ( mere speculation ), but that is about the extent of it. The car has decent specs for it being the base model as I am sure the top variants will have much more power ( and I mean MUCH more ). Although I will say if the base model's tested 0-60 times fall significantly short of the advertised  "under 3 seconds"  there is going to be hell to pay. The performance is respectable, but the upper echelon "Big Brothers" will definitely make an even bigger impact in the motoring world. The DCT transmission is a game changer for Chevrolet in many ways; design, maintenance, packaging, performance  & servicing.

In every aspect the new C8 will be competitive against European & Japanese high performance cars (i.e. Ferrari 488 / Lamborghini Huracan /  Nissan GT-R  ).  The C8 should be a dominant force in the domestic market as well. 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, minty99z said:

They only sold 9k Vettes LY in comparison to 37K the year before.  Builds were down but that is still a huge drop and I anticipate cheap C7’s while you wait for C8 to come down in prices and get the kinks out

Everyone was waiting for the new C8 is why no C7's were moving. The bargain buyers were interested, but that would only get you Z51 or basic-level models. You can still get some smoking deals on a stock C7 Vette if you find a motivated dealer. But the base-model ones are fine, but of no interest to myself or a lot of other buyers apparently :lol2: 

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Destructo said:

Rumor has it the Z06 (2022) will have a twin-turbo flat plain crank V8 under the deck. Could be an absolute monster. 

Rumor is 800hp and 700tq

I am a little reserved, I have made the corvette mistake a couple of times... I am interested to hear what owners really think about them after owning one for a few months and really beating on it.  

• 1 month later...

I like that they made it a mid-engine design, but the aesthetic design of it is rather "meh" to me. It just looks like a Ferrari now. It doesn't have a unique "Corvette"-appearance to it, but rather now is just another one of the various high-end sports cars where unless you really know them, you need to get up close to see what car it really is. 

For sub $100k, this car is going to be a winner. Its not a Lambo, Ferrari, Maclaren etc, it's a Corvette. Fun factor, price, mid engine almost 500hp...it is going to be a smash success. The aftermarket will be tremendous without the huge Lambo like tax. The platform is in its infancy, the future models (ZR1, Z06 whatever) will be impressive. It will never be an Italian exotic but for what it is, it's a homerun. 

On 10/12/2019 at 8:01 PM, Griza said:

For sub $100k, this car is going to be a winner. Its not a Lambo, Ferrari, Maclaren etc, it's a Corvette. Fun factor, price, mid engine almost 500hp...it is going to be a smash success. The aftermarket will be tremendous without the huge Lambo like tax. The platform is in its infancy, the future models (ZR1, Z06 whatever) will be impressive. It will never be an Italian exotic but for what it is, it's a homerun. 

I totally agree, Matt Farah's post drive review sums it up. Great value, more chassis than engine, time to ditch the low revving OHV engine, typical GM fit and finish. First year model that needs a lot of tweaking.  

17 hours ago, kinnsella said:

I totally agree, Matt Farah's post drive review sums it up. Great value, more chassis than engine, time to ditch the low revving OHV engine, typical GM fit and finish. First year model that needs a lot of tweaking.  

Good points, however the engine it has, the fit and finish of GM quality keeps this entry-level model at a price-point of UNDER $60K. https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a28442190/2020-chevy-corvette-c8-price/

Leave the better engine, tighter fit and finish and nicer things for the Z06, ZR1 and higher trim levels. A majority of vette buyers don't cross shop with new Italian marques or other supercar territory. I'd think this will be in the wheel-house for the most of their buyers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Read a report the other day that said GM will be losing money on every C8 with an MSRP under $80k.  I bet the price increases will be early and often.

15 minutes ago, RedGTS said:

Read a report the other day that said GM will be losing money on every C8 with an MSRP under $80k.  I bet the price increases will be early and often.

I'm sure Barra will kill it in an effort to push their green initiatives.

2 hours ago, Kevin2772 said:

Yeah, I loaded up the options, carbon fiber almost everywhere.  Definitely not as "elegant" as yours Matt.  

Mid Engine VetteJPG.JPG

I’ve been really torn on the color choice. I love the light blue color and that was my second choose with yellow calipers and black interior with yellow stitching and yellow seat belts. I’m just a sucker for a classy look and also that full tan interior is just finnnne to me ha

• 2 months later...

Here it is testing on the road in CA. Can't see much, but interestingly enough I can't tell if the Ferrari is the lead in the testing convoy or just convenient timing. 

I just wish they would just try to rule the American muscle platform instead of trying to compete with Ferraris and other exotics. Its a Chevy. I own 3 old vettes

and I love them but its an apples and oranges comparison.