E-Gear Accumulator Failing?

sprite

With the car just sitting the e-gear pump will run approximately every 40 seconds for a second or two to top off e-gear pressure. I'm wondering if my accumulator is failing or if this is standard on the Murcielago LP640. Is everyone here seeing the same behavior in their car or is the e-gear system maintaining pressure when not being used?

I drove a pre-LP a bit and don't recall that ever happening. Does the e-gear function properly when called up? No missed shifts, no long delays when trying to shift, etc?

• 2 weeks later...

I would not think it would be the accumulator being bad if it runs like you describe, as once pressure is built it should not matter.  Mine was sitting with the key on for over 5 minutes yesterday and the F1 pump did not come on once as long as I did not actuate the levers or run the Lara's routines. It needs to maintain 42-50 bar. Perhaps you have an actuator leak internally?

7 hours ago, Old Guy Garage said:

I would not think it would be the accumulator being bad if it runs like you describe, as once pressure is built it should not matter.  Mine was sitting with the key on for over 5 minutes yesterday and the F1 pump did not come on once as long as I did not actuate the levers or run the Lara's routines. It needs to maintain 42-50 bar. Perhaps you have an actuator leak internally?

I've had an accumulator fail previously and a friend of mine did also. They were unable to keep the pressure which would result in some shifts being missed causing the car to go to neutral instead of desired gear. The failure mode for these accumulators doesn't seem to be that they aren't able to store pressure at all, just that they rapidly lose it. I'm thinking my current accumulator might be on the same path but is not losing pressure as rapidly yet.

I am not an expert, but if the glass is full and there are no leaks, pressure should remain. Just posted a video and started a new topic as my egear was delayed on shifts with the shift light flashing. What I did cured it.

A failed accumulator will fill very quickly and drain very quickly like Sprite said. If there was an internal leak, it'll take normal time to fill but drain quickly.

Are these gas charged accumulators? if so can they be recharged as a low gas charge in a hydraulic system with an  accumulator will do as gmendoza said.