You need a new $2K Alternator. LIES!!!!

Old Guy Garage

I always loved that title, so I borrowed it for this post.

The Murci alternator gave up the ghost one day while driving. It showed 11.7 volts on the dash. Brought it into the shop and verified the voltage it was putting out was indeed low at the battery. Also double checked the rectifier by connecting the multimeter across the terminals that no ac voltage was present.

Prices vary wildly for a new alternator, 1K up to 2K and sometimes more. As I had already determined that the rectifier was ok, it looked like the culprit was the voltage regulator inside the alternator.

I removed the alternator and replaced the voltage regulator for the princely sum of $18.

Now I removed the alternator, but had I realized that I could have easily just replaced the regulator without removing the alternator and doing it in situ, the time would have been cut in half as it is a piece of cake to replace as such. You would need to remove the cooling duct, 3 screws, and then remove the plastic rear alternator cover that just snaps on. Once these are off there are just 2 screws to remove and the regulator just pops off in a second. So simple.

Much better than dealing with the belt and tensioner, MUCH!

The regulator is a Transpo IB388. I could not find a Bosch one in the US. As now I know the secret, if this regulator craps out is is pretty easy to replace.

Here's the pics. Hope this helps someone with similar problems.

20190619_180816.jpg

20190621_122518.jpg

20190621_122527.jpg

20190621_122530.jpg

20190621_122641.jpg

20190621_122850.jpg

20190621_122857.jpg

20190621_122944.jpg

20190621_122948.jpg

"What is the cost of lies?" - Valery Legasov

Well, in this case, we can answer that it is somewhere between $982.00 and $1982.00

Great find on the regulator, especially since you are right, it's an absolute bear dealing with the belt and tensioner, even worse on a Gen 1 Murci!

I would recommend that if you ever have belt off, change the belt and put on a new alternator if they are original. Someone posted that the alternator is available for around $150 new at Napa from a VW cross reference, so given what a pain it is to deal with the belt (getting access, and doing the crazy gymnastics for tensioning), it's better to just replace both while you are in there if they are old.

Similar with the Diablo, you could buy a crazy priced one from Lambo or get the exact same alternator from a Porsche 928 for $150.

Good find and thanks for sharing.

2 hours ago, Old Guy Garage said:

Great find Stimpy, I added to my cart and saved for later :-). Still though you can repair your good one for $18!

Yeah, I definitely would start with changing the regulator if the alternator went out. But if I ever need to take the accessory belt off again, I am changing the alternator for a new one because I believe mine is still the original 15 year old unit. Regretting I didn't do that change out when I changed the AC compressor in February.

I bet Alternator KRAUF ALB0829AN fits the car as well.

16 minutes ago, Dereiter said:

I bet Alternator KRAUF ALB0829AN fits the car as well.

Looks different on the back for the connections.

8 hours ago, Stimpy said:

Looks different on the back for the connections.

Ok. Thanks. I will check this part once again. I found several other alternatives that should be researched too.