Rear Diff help Please!

Old Guy Garage

I have a small seeping rear diff seal under the hub. Once you remove the half shaft the factory WSM call for you to remove a bolt then use a puller to remove the stub. Now mine is an 07 LP640 and as you can see there is no bolt or provision for one.

The first photo's show what it is supposed to look like, the others show what it actually does look like. The last two pictures are of the actual side of the diff. Others are reference.

As you can see there is no bolt. Short or removing either the rear diff cover or side bearing support plate does anyone have any factual information they can share as how to remove it? I was thinking it could pop out like some imports, but I am not going to pry on it without knowledge.

It seems to be a 2007 only design as earlier ones as well as later ones have the center bolt. I hope Lambo did not design this to where you have to remove the diff covers, that would not make sense to replace a seal. Of course saying that look what I had to do to bleed the actuator on the Murci.

I could just leave it as it is not a drip or leak, just moist, but this is the last thing to do to make mine perfect mechanically. I am obsessive.

Thoughts?

suppossedtolooklike.jpg

actual.jpg.jpg

20190803_140735.jpg

20190803_140818.jpg

Just watched an episode of Wheeler Dealers where Ant did this job on an old Golf GTI. That car had the bolt like your top pic, and after the job he made the comment that the seals are a lot easier to change on GTI than on a lot of other cars. It's very possible the 2007 LP-640 falls into that category of being a lot harder.

I would think JeffLambo is your best bet for experience with your model year diff.

Hi Stimpy.

I wish I had the one with the single bolt, would have been done by now :-0. 20-30 minute job at most. The workshop manual details the single boat, with no mention of what I have in mine. No exploded parts manual show it either. Additionally there is no part number visible on the piece.

I am thinking they either attached inside the diff with a securing bolt OR they just pop in and out with a tension ring , similar to other FWD half shafts. However without the knowledge I am not going to pry on them to see if they pop out.

This appears to be a 2007 only feature as I have looked at pics of diffs prior and after and they all have the center bolt.

Yep, 640 got an updated diff.

My bet is take the rear cover off and look for a snap ring that you’d need to manually snap off.

If not, then covers.

1 hour ago, Old Guy Garage said:

That is my next step. Funny though, the Factory WSM for an 09 still shows the center bolt.

That's all part of the Italian charm.

At this point why not just pull the rear cover and see what's going on inside? 99.9% of people have never seen inside a Lambo differential to give a qualified answer unfortunately 

That's the next step. Like I mentioned it is just a "seep", no leaks. I am on a mission to perfection, OCD, and this is the last little niggling thing to be done.  To give you an example, not lambo but here is an engine I built a few years ago.  One of the things I did to it was replace all the bolts with SS fasteners and hand polished them. 90% of them you could not even see.

https://youtu.be/gstkIoyvyFA