600LT Versus others....?

kmr

So the McLaren 600LT has caught my eye. But how do they compare to other cars? Huracan Performante, 488 what other direct "exotic" competitors? Worried about taking a bath with the typical McLaren depreciation. Thoughts? 

I cant really think of any others that you havent posted other than a 720S.  Performante has been out for a little bit, but seems like they are fetching good money still. 720S has maybe depreciated some since the spider just came out. 600LT is more racy though, if thats what you want I think your only other choice is Performante. Maybe a GT3 or a Carerra T/Turbo S. 

every car you're going to lose money some more than others. 600 is more a track car like the GT3/ RS . they say 720 is faster but not as fun as 600.

They're offering incredible lease deals on them right now - 0 down 2500 a mo. I was honestly tempted - they're little pocket rockets.

With that said leasing seems a real waste when for the dough over the years -  you could buy a gated gallardo vert for example and have little depreciation and it's money in the bank when you want to sell.

I wouldn't buy a Mclaren tbh - horrific depreciation and the hearsay on QC and the constant issues across all models doesn't give me the required faith in the brand. I do, however, believe that when they are problem free they are incredible cars. It's just how often will that be?

I would wait it out and let prices fall even further because they will.

There's an used one listed up here in Canada, Senna seats, black with red interior, very nice spec. Seller paid $355k a few months back and is now willing to let it go for $300k. Brutally depreciation.

600LT isn't that much special than a 570S with a tune. It has three things that make it or break it. The exhaust placement (which has a huge risk for fire). The MSO roof scoop, which let's be honest makes the looks of the car and is a rare ridiculously expensive option. Same with those Senna seats. Driving wise you would get a similar experience with a 570S (which has some insane deals atm) with an aftermarket spoiler and exhaust. 

The only competitor to the 600LT I see is the Performante which in truth is the better car overall. It has a more advanced aero system, it handles better, it is faster, it sounds way better and looks in my opinion a lot better than the 600LT. The only thing that comes to mind that 600LT has over the Performante is practicality. 

These are my thoughts, from the short experience with both cars. And yes, beware of that McLaren depreciation. 

Brit where were you seeing leases for $2500? That seems like a steal! Hear ya guys on the Performante. Just something about the looks, doors etc I love about the Mac..... Hmmm 

2 hours ago, kmr said:

Brit where were you seeing leases for $2500? That seems like a steal! Hear ya guys on the Performante. Just something about the looks, doors etc I love about the Mac..... Hmmm 

Its a moronic lease. 48 months $2500 plus tax... 2500 miles a yr. 

22 hours ago, Allan-Herbie said:

Do people actually do those terms?! That's just over 50 miles a week allowance! How stupid.

Most just drive them and roll whatever loss there is into the next lease. The car gets revalued based on mileage when you turn it in.

On 8/13/2019 at 1:30 PM, Allan-Herbie said:

10 hours ago, Destructo said:

Do people actually do those terms?! That's just over 50 miles a week allowance! How stupid.

simple math. if you buy the car outright say 280k in 4 years it's worth 120-140 loss of 140k on 10,- 20,000 miles

if you lease 2500 x 48 = 120k if you do additional 10k miles at $1 a mile that's 130k so it's the same crap.

some people prefer to lease and take the 280k and invest it, let the money earn and make you more money. 8-12% a year

48 minutes ago, LamboJoe said:

simple math. if you buy the car outright say 280k in 4 years it's worth 120-140 loss of 140k on 10,- 20,000 miles

if you lease 2500 x 48 = 120k if you do additional 10k miles at $1 a mile that's 130k so it's the same crap.

some people prefer to lease and take the 280k and invest it, let the money earn and make you more money. 8-12% a year

Yes I understand the math. I personally would rather buy a $130k car that was a $300k car that at the end of the 4 year term is still worth $130k 

11 hours ago, Allan-Herbie said:

Yes I understand the math. I personally would rather buy a $130k car that was a $300k car that at the end of the 4 year term is still worth $130k 

No warranty buying and selling is a lot of brain damage and we all know maintenance isn't cheap. 

Lease run thru a company full warranty new car - two different thought processes. 

Wheeling and dealing on a used McLaren - mine listed 310k bought it for 230k with 1000 miles 18 months later sold it for 165k 3500 miles and spent 10k on maintenance. 

Some brands - it's better to lease Mac is one of them. 

6 hours ago, Nuvolari612 said:

mine listed 310k bought it for 230k with 1000 miles 18 months later sold it for 165k 3500 miles and spent 10k on maintenance. 

What did $10k get you?

21 hours ago, Nuvolari612 said:

No warranty buying and selling is a lot of brain damage and we all know maintenance isn't cheap. 

Lease run thru a company full warranty new car - two different thought processes. 

Wheeling and dealing on a used McLaren - mine listed 310k bought it for 230k with 1000 miles 18 months later sold it for 165k 3500 miles and spent 10k on maintenance. 

Damn thanks for the insight and information. Crazy how they depreciate. I am seeing like ~$30k off new sticker. Was thinking of going used however new ones are looking more and more attractive. 

4 hours ago, porter said:

600LT is one of the hottest looking cars in person. 

And here I thought the Senna was one of the "hottest" cars McLaren makes.... :lol2: 

On 8/12/2019 at 10:26 PM, LA_Brit said:

They're offering incredible lease deals on them right now - 0 down 2500 a mo. I was honestly tempted - they're little pocket rockets.

With that said leasing seems a real waste when for the dough over the years -  you could buy a gated gallardo vert for example and have little depreciation and it's money in the bank when you want to sell.

I wouldn't buy a Mclaren tbh - horrific depreciation and the hearsay on QC and the constant issues across all models doesn't give me the required faith in the brand. I do, however, believe that when they are problem free they are incredible cars. It's just how often will that be?

What a terrible deal...

A 4 year lease with mileage restriction that locks you into a car for 4 years that offers no real savings over purchasing the car outright as far as I can tell. Leased exotics are for people with A) more money than sense, and B) idiots. I have never seen a lease deal on an exotic car that was better than just buying outright, especially if you're buying used (and you should buy used because you can't spec a leased car anyway).

A used 600LT is $250,000 already. I assure you that car won't be $130,000 in 4 years given that 4 year old, much cheaper used 570S are still more than $130,000...

On 8/15/2019 at 10:33 AM, Nuvolari612 said:

No idea how you lost $70,000 in 18 months on a 12C or 650S unless you significantly overpaid.

Poor residuals is not the reality anymore. That happened with the 12C and 650S, but nothing since. The 720S is 2 years old now in the US and they are still $260,000+ for most. I've been browsing for a while now and the prices have been consistently firm relative to the segment. You only lose excessive on a new McLaren nowadays if you go overboard on spec. There is no difference in residual between a $380,000 car and a $330,000 car, but there is also no real difference between the cars either.  Comes down purely to personal taste.

Launch car 570S are $80-100,000 under sticker 4 years later.
Launch car 720S are $70-80,000 under sticker 2 years later.

This is no different than any exotic in their respective price range. Performantes and Aventadors are not really any better. Barely used Performantes are $50,000-60,000 under MSRP. Aventadors can be $100,000 under MSRP for even the "limited" SV models.

On 8/16/2019 at 9:05 AM, porter said:

600LT is one of the hottest looking cars in person. 

Damn it Porter I dont need these comments! Thanks

3 hours ago, exitr said:

What a terrible deal...

A 4 year lease with mileage restriction that locks you into a car for 4 years that offers no real savings over purchasing the car outright as far as I can tell. Leased exotics are for people with A) more money than sense, and B) idiots. I have never seen a lease deal on an exotic car that was better than just buying outright, especially if you're buying used (and you should buy used because you can't spec a leased car anyway).

A used 600LT is $250,000 already. I assure you that car won't be $130,000 in 4 years given that 4 year old, much cheaper used 570S are still more than $130,000...

Everything I have seen essentially lets you hedge the risk of the value of the car down the road. Obviously this depends on open end or close end leases. A lot of the companies have no fees for early termination and miles are not really a concern as most dont last 4 years and just retail the car out of the lease. You can spec what you want car wise. 

Hi kmr,

I have experience with the Performante and 600LT. Have driven a 488 as well. I’ll talk about the Performante and 600LT first, as those both have been in my garage. Both are great cars and it’s a matter of taste. I’ll tell you my pick of the two at the end. 

Exterior Design: this is subjective, of course. From the front, they are both aggressive. I love the front end of the Performante. The improvement over the base Huracan is very nice to my eye. It says, get out of the way! The McLaren looks nice too but the edge goes to the Performante. Side styling is a virtual tie with McLaren edging the Lambo because the doors go up. Back end is no contest. 600LT takes this one. The top exit exhausts, tail lights, and that huge rear diffuser make for a great backside.

Interior: both have great interiors. It’s easier to get in and out of the Performante. But both have plenty of room once you’re in. The race seats in the Performante suck. Avoid them. The carbon fiber on the race seats also doesn’t match the forged carbon on the dash trim. The standard power seats are much more comfortable and provide plenty of lateral support. Just my opinion. The McLaren can be had with full carbon interior which I recommend. It’s bare carbon whereas the external pieces are gloss. The switch gear in the Mac is of higher quality. Those switches in the middle of the Perf always felt a bit cheap to me. Lambo has the better Nav. With the Bower and Wilkins stereo option, the Mac has the superior radio. It’s a great system and I’d recommend finding a car with that option. 12 speakers in that small cabin sound very nice.

Powertrain and Performance: both cars have great engines. The V10 in the Perf is an incredible motor. Virtually bulletproof and sounds incredible. McLaren sounds actually very good because of the top exit exhausts but the Lambo sound can’t be matched. Speed isn’t everything but I’ll give you my impressions and you can look around the web to compare as well. From 0-30/60, the Perf is quicker. Past that point, it’s going to get walked by the 600LT. It won’t be pretty. From a roll, the 600LT all day. Sorry to the Perf owners but it’s going to get its ass handed to it. The only way the Perf keeps up is if the 600LT can’t get traction, which could happen if the tires are cold on the LT. 

Handling: the Perf speaks for itself here. We all know what it did at the ring. And you know from driving one that it’s lap time is genuine. Thing just claws it’s way around corners. The ALA in concert with AWD make this car punch way above its weight. The LT just can’t corner quite as well. It’s under tired but purposely so. It only has 285 section rear tires. But they are Trofeo R’s and do a remarkable job of providing grip when they are WARM.  You have to warm the tires up on this car. Then it becomes a great driving companion. It’s definitely more playful than the Performante. You can step the tail out and have some fun or cast your line and stick to it. It’s a rewarding car to drive. The steering in the Mac is better. It’s still a hydraulic unit and communicates much better than the Perf. The Perf goes where you want it to but the rack is electric and doesn’t quite have the feedback. The steering on the Mac is Porsche GT like. Probably better! 

My conclusion: deciding between these two is really hard. It’s a personal decision. You may want to take depreciation into consideration. I left that out. Macs have generally not faired well. With that being said, I feel this is the best McLaren on sale right now. The 720 is an incredible machine but has been way over produced IMO. If I’m not mistaken, approximately 1000 600LT coupes exist worldwide and they are now primarily producing 600LT Spiders. This would make the LT more rare than the Performante. But the Performante will most likely hold value beacuase of brand recognition. If money is not a concern, my vote goes to the LT. Not a popular answer here, I know. The Performante is an exceptional car. For me, most of my driving is on the street. There, the Mac just feels a bit more lively. Lighter on its feet and more engaging. That is probably a lot due to it being rear wheel drive. It’s got more than enough power and those flames are a bonus. This is all opinion of course. Go drive both and make a judgment call. You can’t go wrong either way! 

As to the 488. It’s a fine car. Fast, capable, but not as edgy as the other two. It’s the GT of the three. More comfortable, easier to get in and out of. Give it a try too. Will be good to hear what you come back with. Good Luck.

737Drvr thank you for taking the time to reply and write that all up. I am leaning towards the 600LT as its something different than the Gallardo and LP570 I have had. Heading to Charlotte next month to go test out all the seat options for the 600LT and drive a 720S as well. Will go from there.....