Jalpa Headlight problem

finkiedog

On 8/17/2019 at 5:26 PM, finkiedog said:

Have an 86 Jalpa and the drivers headlight wont pop up. Is there a fuse or a fix that can happen? How do I remove the headlight motor?

Have you checked all the fuses? It could be that, could be bad wiring, could be a bad motor. Lot's of potentials here. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I haven't been on here in quite some time, but I'm back.

So a couple things:

The jalpa headlight motors are basically fiat x1/9 motors.  They're a bit odd the way they work but there's a few things to keep in mind here.

On the 4 wires on each motor, you will have 1 relay per headlight, and you will have a diode per headlight.  The diodes are in the fuse box, and the relays are near the motor.  The headlight motor is kind of a bear to get out, you'll need to remove the headlight lamp, so that you can access the rods, and disconnect them, so that you can get to the bolts that hold it in (10mm).  

In the case of it not coming up, you could be dealing with a bad ground to the relay itself.  However, it's also possible it could be a diode.  You could narrow this down by swapping a good known diode from the other headlight motor to the diode in the fusebox for that motor and see if it changes, same with the relay.  

4 hours ago, Kerplop said:

I haven't been on here in quite some time, but I'm back.

So a couple things:

The jalpa headlight motors are basically fiat x1/9 motors.  They're a bit odd the way they work but there's a few things to keep in mind here.

On the 4 wires on each motor, you will have 1 relay per headlight, and you will have a diode per headlight.  The diodes are in the fuse box, and the relays are near the motor.  The headlight motor is kind of a bear to get out, you'll need to remove the headlight lamp, so that you can access the rods, and disconnect them, so that you can get to the bolts that hold it in (10mm).  

In the case of it not coming up, you could be dealing with a bad ground to the relay itself.  However, it's also possible it could be a diode.  You could narrow this down by swapping a good known diode from the other headlight motor to the diode in the fusebox for that motor and see if it changes, same with the relay.  

I was going to say..."he lives" lol, welcome back.

6 hours ago, Destructo said:

I was going to say..."he lives" 

Kinda :P

• 4 months later...

I am returning to fix this headlight problem. Thanks for the insight Mr. Kerplop. I put a new/used motor on the drivers side that is non responsive and NO LUCK. Still does not hing. The Passenger side goes up and down. Feeling that it must have its own fuse or relay I began the search. Went to the 8 relays located on the passenger side below the 12 fuses. I have a diagram

I removed #3 and tried headlight, Passenger side went up and down. removed #4 same result, removed #8 same result, removed #7 no movement on headlight. This relay is listed as Rear fog, but when I put it back in the headlight motor on passenger side began working again. So I removed the 4 #10 mm bolts and took the relay board away from the box, inspected the back to make sure pins are all ok behind relay #3 the headlight and headlight motor relay. All good. put back on and now passenger headlight not working. Does anyone have a better understanding of the relays?Also the #3 is a 0 332 014 151 relay. There was no 0 0332 014 113 relay in that place. NOTE. all worked fine last spring...sometime in summer the drivers quit working. Relays.pdf

• 2 months later...

Sorry I didn't see this sooner.

None of those are the relays you're looking for.  The relays for the headlights are next to the headlight motors themselves, from my experience, tucked under them.  One per side.  At least mine were never located in the relay box (odd as that may sound).