Aventadors..... Whats the story

Allan-Herbie

So, been researching Aventadors and from what Ive seen the special edition models seem to be better handling, but necessarily faster in a straight line.  Ive lso spoken to a few people who have owned a few variants, and for example one who owned a 2012 and an SV, preferred the 2012 due to the harsher shifts.   The SVJ is awesome, but at this point its almost 2x the price of a nice used SV...  Then again regular Aventadors are dropping like rocks as well.   Is an SV worth the premium over a nice 2013+ ?

Aventador is a GT car imo and SV is a sports car. 

SV had a massive software upgrade last year which really transformed the gearbox, you can now actually use corsa on the road which you couldn’t before as it was just too aggressive unless going flat out. Before if you shifted up before redline it would try and put your face through the windscreen! 

Sv feels like a very different car to the Aventador I had, whereas SVJ seems more of an evolution with everything being better. 

J handles like a go cart and you can really push it, it’s much easier to drive than Sv and much more feeling.  

Aventador has little feedback in comparison  Sv and J is on another level for drivers. However none actually come close to an out and out proper drivers car with real feedback, just too big and too heavy but they have done an amazing job of disguising that. 

Straight line Sv feels faster than Aventador but not sure if it is by much, J and SV are identical if anything my SV with lots of miles on the clock might actually be faster. 

Think the J must have different internals though as it drove way better out of the box than the others, very little engine drag even before its running in service. 

8 hours ago, topjay said:

Aventador is a GT car imo and SV is a sports car. 

SV had a massive software upgrade last year which really transformed the gearbox, you can now actually use corsa on the road which you couldn’t before as it was just too aggressive unless going flat out. Before if you shifted up before redline it would try and put your face through the windscreen! 

Sv feels like a very different car to the Aventador I had, whereas SVJ seems more of an evolution with everything being better. 

J handles like a go cart and you can really push it, it’s much easier to drive than Sv and much more feeling.  

Aventador has little feedback in comparison  Sv and J is on another level for drivers. However none actually come close to an out and out proper drivers car with real feedback, just too big and too heavy but they have done an amazing job of disguising that. 

Straight line Sv feels faster than Aventador but not sure if it is by much, J and SV are identical if anything my SV with lots of miles on the clock might actually be faster. 

Think the J must have different internals though as it drove way better out of the box than the others, very little engine drag even before its running in service. 

I think you can flash any 2013+ Aventador to those SV specs though? 

It’s the connection to the road that really separates them, I was just commenting on the stuff you mentioned. I don’t think there is that much between any of them if you could just change the setup to the same or as near as. I always felt Sv was way too light at front In flowing bends unless wing was set to max downforce. Aventador felt like it could do anything easily but without feeling. Weirdly, Sv hates the rain, very jumpy  and skids on braking, Aventador was excellent as is SVJ, all on the same tyres (pzero not corsa) 

To be fair my early  Aventador was not great so may not be fair to compare it to SV and the SV really has evolved into a much better road car with all the updates since it was released even relatively recently, it was definitely a lot more hard work to start with.  

I'll second that the standard Aventador (S) feels like a GT car - it is so incredibly easy to drive. I honestly forgot I was driving in the loaner I had the other day til someone pulled up next to me on the highway freaking out. Those updates were added to the SVJ as well so you can take it easy or push it. In a v12 Lambo, pushing it was relative before - now it will literally blow your mind. Seriously you can not help but smile after feeling the grip the SVJ has, its hard to explain.

I debated getting the SV roadster as there was one for sale in FL that was the spec I ordered my SVJ in. I just knew that if the S was that much better than the standard Aventador, the SVJ would be the same compared to the SV. SV is still an absolutely stunning car and I'm sure you'd have a blast in it - I just wanted the swan song as I regretted not getting the Murci SV. 

Lastly, I may be bias but while SVJ doesn't seem to photograph as well as the SV, in person it's a completely different story. It just looks newer, more refined yet aggressive. There's a rear quarter angle where you can see the way the wing sort of flows back - every time I see the car that way it just makes me love it more. No clue why but I would dare to bet other SVJ owners know exactly what I am talking about - the more you're around it the more you appreciate it, both in looks and performance. 

16 hours ago, Luxeous said:

I'll second that the standard Aventador (S) feels like a GT car - it is so incredibly easy to drive. I honestly forgot I was driving in the loaner I had the other day til someone pulled up next to me on the highway freaking out. Those updates were added to the SVJ as well so you can take it easy or push it. In a v12 Lambo, pushing it was relative before - now it will literally blow your mind. Seriously you can not help but smile after feeling the grip the SVJ has, its hard to explain.

I debated getting the SV roadster as there was one for sale in FL that was the spec I ordered my SVJ in. I just knew that if the S was that much better than the standard Aventador, the SVJ would be the same compared to the SV. SV is still an absolutely stunning car and I'm sure you'd have a blast in it - I just wanted the swan song as I regretted not getting the Murci SV. 

Lastly, I may be bias but while SVJ doesn't seem to photograph as well as the SV, in person it's a completely different story. It just looks newer, more refined yet aggressive. There's a rear quarter angle where you can see the way the wing sort of flows back - every time I see the car that way it just makes me love it more. No clue why but I would dare to bet other SVJ owners know exactly what I am talking about - the more you're around it the more you appreciate it, both in looks and performance. 

Definitely agree that the SVJ looks better than the SV.  I just wonder whether its worth 2x the price... or for that matter if a SV is worth 150k over a 2013. 

• 2 weeks later...

The SV is worth every penny over an LP700. SV to SVJ is another big step and a bit more difficult to say it's worth every penny for the upgrade. When you compare what you get $$$ wise for a SVJ, its hard to look elsewhere. The next step up is the 7 figure range, and I know for a fact, I wouldn't drive them the same way I drive the SVJ. Mileage, maintenance, reliability, drivability, etc. So in that sense, the SVJ is unbeatable for the money. 

Agreed on the fact the SVJ doesnt photo well. Especially the front end. 

SV so much better than early Aventadors. Styling, handling, power, all better. SV is not a relaxing car though, whereas normal Aventadors are tourers that are well behaved and easy around town.

7 hours ago, porter said:

SV so much better than early Aventadors. Styling, handling, power, all better. SV is not a relaxing car though, whereas normal Aventadors are tourers that are well behaved and easy around town.

But what about an Aventador S?

17 hours ago, Allan-Herbie said:

But what about an Aventador S?

I think S is as good as SV if not a little bit better. Different profile - higher usability with almost if not same amount of power. It's an incredible car that has already been forgotten. I think values for all Aventadors will get killed, and those who are patient will get a ton of car for the money.

38 minutes ago, porter said:

I think S is as good as SV if not a little bit better. Different profile - higher usability with almost if not same amount of power. It's an incredible car that has already been forgotten. I think values for all Aventadors will get killed, and those who are patient will get a ton of car for the money.

I agree on values. Thats why Im waiting to see what happens, but getting itchy for a new ride. 

22 minutes ago, Allan-Herbie said:

I agree on values. Thats why Im waiting to see what happens, but getting itchy for a new ride. 

I also agree on the values sentiments. I have been browsing and Im on the fence. I really want the SV instead of the early year avys. But I'm not too sure if the difference in price is worth it. Also most dealers are holding strong with their pricings even though the cars have been sitting for long periods of time on their lots!

Im on the fence on the SV, vs an S or an earlier 13+ . On one hand I really like the Sv and its huge wing, on the other hand, I really like the clean lines of the normal Avey with the pop up wing... 

9 hours ago, Allan-Herbie said:

Im on the fence on the SV, vs an S or an earlier 13+ . On one hand I really like the Sv and its huge wing, on the other hand, I really like the clean lines of the normal Avey with the pop up wing... 

Your desicion will probably come down to what you want out of the one you choose. Do you want more of a gt or more hardcore version? Your garage is filled with non-depreciating models so if that is a factor I think the SV would probably be a front runner. 

The comments above are basically exactly my train of thought when going for the SVJ. The S is seriously SO easy to drive but I wanted something like the SV - the SVJ just checks all the boxes. As Alex mentioned, I don't know that the cost to upgrade from the SV to the SVJ is worth it (haven't driven the SV) but there's no place else to go from the SVJ but hypercar. 

• 5 months later...
On 3/1/2020 at 2:12 PM, sabortooth said:

what years for the aventador roadster are the most reliable years ive been thinking of possibly getting one like a 2015 any feedback much appreciated 

I would say the general rule of buying the newest, most completely serviced example you can afford applies. 

13 hours ago, Allan-Herbie said:

I would say the general rule of buying the newest, most completely serviced example you can afford applies. 

im thinking of another diablo prices are comming down uner 300k now and ford gt and also an avenatdor imo a roadster im comfortable paying 250k but dont think thats gonna happen

1 hour ago, sabortooth said:

im thinking of another diablo prices are comming down uner 300k now and ford gt and also an avenatdor imo a roadster im comfortable paying 250k but dont think thats gonna happen

Id definitely do a Diablo over Aventador.   I think can get a 13.5 Aventador Roadster in the 250k range, maybe a 14. 

43 minutes ago, Allan-Herbie said:

Id definitely do a Diablo over Aventador.   I think can get a 13.5 Aventador Roadster in the 250k range, maybe a 14. 

looked at a few diablo  but they all need work and asking top dollar if one needs minor under 20k miles a 01 6.0 or 99 roadster ,also ford gt have my eye on love the white with blue strips there very difficult to find low mile all options for 250ish,aventador just keeps dropping that car needs to be bought right 

8 hours ago, sabortooth said:

looked at a few diablo  but they all need work and asking top dollar if one needs minor under 20k miles a 01 6.0 or 99 roadster ,also ford gt have my eye on love the white with blue strips there very difficult to find low mile all options for 250ish,aventador just keeps dropping that car needs to be bought right 

Yes, I was going to buy an Aventador this past January.  Bought a Jalpa instead. Figured in 6 months the Aventador would lose in depreciation what the Jalpa cost me. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/3/2020 at 7:53 PM, Allan-Herbie said:

Yes, I was going to buy an Aventador this past January.  Bought a Jalpa instead. Figured in 6 months the Aventador would lose in depreciation what the Jalpa cost me. 

any update are u still thinking of an avenatdor after thinking ford gt 05/06 or roadster im more leaning towards an aventador roadster I think 30/45 more days prices will drop