First time buyer used lamborghini, please advise

imcool

Hello Team,
I am first time buyer of used Lamborghini, my budget is 120K USD. 
I am interested in Hurracan and Gallardo. I am located in Canada, but I can drive cross border into Michigan to get a car. I have following questions:

1. Which one is better Hurracan or Gallardo?
2. Which is lower on maintenance between the two?
3. Who are good dealers in Michigan which you recommend?
4. What are the most important things to look for before buying a used Lamborghini Gallardo or Hurracan?
5. which year model i will get for this much budget?
6. Approximately how much is maintenance cost on Hurracan or Gallardo providing someone is driving 25km per day in summers.

Please advice

20 hours ago, imcool said:

Hello Team,
I am interested in Hurracan and Gallardo. I am located in Canada, but I can drive cross border into Michigan to get a car. I have following questions:

4. What are the most important things to look for before buying a used Lamborghini Gallardo or Hurracan?
6. Approximately how much is maintenance cost on Hurracan or Gallardo providing someone is driving 25km per day in summers.

Please advice

With the CAD so bad, why don't you find a good deal in Canada and avoid the exchange, duty, possible shipping, etc.?

On 9/27/2019 at 4:18 PM, imcool said:

Hello Team,

Please advice

Your list leave a lot more questions than answers. 

The budget you could find a Gallardo and not have a payment (assuming you're paying cash). I don't think you'll find any Huracan's for that price unless you are picking up a wrecked one. And i don't mean a fender bender, i mean dragged onto a trailer to tow to the shop kind of situation. 

1. Subjective answer, newer is usually preferable and better performing, but not always the case. I know owners of both who love their Gallardo more and would sell the Huracan first. So not always the case.

2. Older cars will require more attention to detail and car, but newer ones need to be looked after as well. It's more of a personal approach to how you take care of your cars. Buying anything private party and used, it's Caveat emptor for sure.

3. Only one dealer in Michigan, Lamborghini Troy. Mixed reviews there, but you'll probably find they aren't the most involved or active dealer. 

4. Maintenance history would be my number one. That can tell you A LOT about how the car was cared for. Everything falls under that umbrella.

5. Expect roughly 2004-2007 used Gallardo coupe, maybe a spyder, That's from a quick search.

6. Just like any other car. Take good care of it, but if you can't afford the maintenance, you can't afford the car. Don't stretch yourself for a status symbol. It's stupid.

Sounds like you've got a lot more work ahead of you to find out information about the car. Use the search function, and you'll find a lot of other people have asked similar questions.

Best of luck and welcome to the bullpen. 

You are not getting a Huracan worth owning at your price point as previously noted.  I always felt the Huracan looked "fat" personally and I am not a fan of the pressed carbon fibre look. 

Gallardos are great cars. I had one for ten years and all it basically required was maintenance and tires. I would look for a 6 speed manual as the e gear is clunky and the clutch wear is significantly greater regardless how carefully you shift. Also a pump can fail on the e gear and I believe it is close to a 5 figure repair.  In 2006, the HP was bumped slightly and the gearing shortened among other improvements. I think the 06 and up are better built, doors feel heavier, and anecdotally  knowing owners of 04 and 05 cars, my 06 seemed a lot more reliable. 

As you will be purchasing a 12 - 13 year old car, you are going to start to experience wear and tear failures like water pumps, alternators, belts, and hoses.  So you should budget accordingly. A lot of the parts are of AUDI/VW origin so shop around. Even though you are only paying $125k now, you will be maintaining a car that cost $225k to $250k when new. 

I would avoid super low mileage cars, you'll pay a premium and since they haven't been exercised regularly they are probably in worse condition than less expensive medium mileage cars with a full service and maintenance history at a dealer or reputable aftermarket shop.

Colours - Black, yellow, green and orange will command a premium over other colours. 

I would avoid the convertible, a lot more expensive parts and systems to fail. Also, you can't get a glass rear bonnet and you lose a really useful storage space behind the seats if you want to go on road trips with your significant other. 

Another option to consider would be an R8, my buddy picked up a pristine 25,000 mile 08 V8 6 speed for $70k,  a couple of years ago. The R8 v10's are cheaper than corresponding year Lamborghini. R8's IMO have better interiors and more headroom too.  Obviously service options are far greater for Audi than Lamborghini as well.  

You should do as extensive test drive as possible. Drive a few to get a sense of what a good one feels like.

Mid engine exotics aren't for everybody. They are loud and uncomfortable with awful visibility. They also attractive a tremendous amount of attention from the general public (male) and LE which is not for everybody. 

You should also factor in insurance costs and if you don't have an umbrella policy, get one. If you get into a serious accident whether it's your fault or not, you are probably going to be sued.

If you find a car, post it here. Somebody will probably know if it was any stories. Also you can get feedback on pricing, condition here as well etc. 

Good luck. 

21 hours ago, imcool said:

thanks a lot for replying, Yes, you are correct, I see many cars with low mileage and no accidents, whatsup with them? its confusing. 

Make sure they have supporting service records as well as when they were last driven. Seals and  stuff dry up