The Official Lambo Power Urus Review

Destructo

In a proud first for our community, we present the first official review of the all-new 2019 Lamborghini Urus Super Sport Utility Vehicle!

Special thanks for Lamborghini North America for the arrangement of this Urus for Lambo Power.

blue_urus_1.jpg

Here are the specs on our specific press vehicle.

Standard Features: (Base Price: $200,000 USD)

- Exterior Color: Blue Eleos
- Interior Color: Nero Ade 
- 4.0 Liter, V8 90° Bi-Turbo engine with 4 valves per cylinder
- Longitudinal front-mounted engine
- Electronic direct-injection system
- Electronically controlled, continuously variable intake and exhaust valves timing system
- Automatic 8-speed gearbox with torque converter + reverse
- Permanent 4WD with limited-slip center differential and Lamborghini Active Torque-Vectoring Rear Differential
- Hybrid Body in White in aluminum and steel
- Air suspension with active damping and electro-mechanical active roll stabilization
- Power vacuum brake system with ABS
- Carbon-ceramic brakes
- Electronic parking brake
- ESC system
- Full-LED adaptive headlamps with high beam assist and tail lights
- 4-zone automatic air conditioning
- External mirrors (with heating, electrically adjustable and foldable, auto-dimming)
- Ignition key with remote control (Keyless)

Optional Equipment: (Total Options Price: $31,896 USD)

- Rims Nath 22" shiny - $3,788.00 
- Full ADAS Package - $6,313.00 
-  calipers in black - $1,137.00 
- Steer. wheel smooth - $631.00
- Advanced 3D - $6,313.00 
 - Style Package 1 - High - $1,908.00 
- Off-Road modes with - $637.00
- Full Electric Comfort Seat - $3,157.00 
- Stitching option - $631.00
- Optional stitching on - $379.00 
- Rear Seat Heating - $631.00 
- Black Roof Rails - $1,010.00 
- Panoramic Roof  - $2,778.00 
- Inserts in Wood Open - $1,699.00
- Embroid. Lamborghini - $884.00

Total Price ($235,891 USD - Including $3,995 Destination Charge)

- Drive Review - by TurboAlex

The Lamborghini Urus Super Sport Utility Vehicle is a brand-new model for the Sant’Agata manufacturer. And not since the production of the LM002 ceased in 1993 has Lamborghini delivered any sort of production utility vehicle. 

Jump ahead 26 years and the 2019 Lamborghini Urus arrives for our press loaner. 

blue_urus_4.jpg

Having spent extensive seat time in high-performance BMW sport utility vehicles, Range Rovers, and the Bentley Bentayga, the proverbial bar was set quite high.

Walking up, the exterior is distinctly Lamborghini. Fans of the brand will instantly recognize the Perini-designed cues and inspirations. The imposing front bumper has received a lot of discussions and some criticisms, but we appreciate and enjoy the bold design. And the Blue Eleos paint laid down on all the edges and panels really popped under the southern California sunshine. 

blue_urus_5.jpg

Once inside, the in-cabin space was surprising! Especially with the accompanying trunk space. With this kind of room, taking a family of four with luggage would be no hassle.

blue_urus_6.jpg

If you plan on taking a road-trip with it, the excellent driving ergonomics make it quite a comfortable ride. Nothing felt out of place, but quite intuitive, and very Lamborghini. Don’t plan on having your cup of Boba with you though. Unfortunately, Italian-sized cup-holders, like their suits just are too trim and svelt for our everyday needs; a small issue but a recurring nuisance.

Not just any sport utility vehicle could carry the raging bull badge, so it’s important we talk performance.

It’s shocking what the engineering and performance wizards can make this nearly 5,000 lbs. SSUV do. This twin-turbocharged 4.0-liter V8 is the first production forced-induction powerplant for Lamborghini. It churns out an impressive 641 horsepower and 627 ft.lbs. of torque with a 6,800 RPM redline. Often a point of criticism, the redline figure has left a few reviewers disappointed and wanting more revs. Sure we’d always love more, but we didn’t find ourselves really needing more for the commute and drives we took. 

blue_urus_3.jpg

It also has an eight-speed automatic transmission, torque-vectoring all-wheel-drive, and all-wheel steering. The very capable and enjoyable launch-control system propels the Urus to a factory claimed 0-60 MPH in 3.6 seconds. Real-world testing on DragTimes YouTube channel produced a VBOX verified 2.93 seconds! We didn’t use any equipment to verify, but some launch-control sprints had us not doubting those figures. It got us talking about its already stout capabilities; it’s not stopping quite a few performance shops from turning it up with the Urus and going for more. Absolutely bonkers. 

Power and performance are great, but without adequate stopping power or handling, it would all be a moot point. Incredibly, the stock 440mm front and 370mm rear carbon ceramic brakes pull the five-door family hauler from 60-0 in as little as 107 feet. 

blue_urus_2.jpg

Saving the near best for last, we need to point out the handling capability. We said it time and time again, “this handles like a really good sportscar.” Not just a car, not just a sportscar, but a very good and capable sportscar. 

According to Motor Trend testing, this will pull a 1.01g on the skid-pad, all thanks to the torque-vectoring, four-wheel steering, and air suspension. Obviously we weren’t able to replicate that kind of action, but this system and set-up gives the driver confidence in spades, with no shortage of mechanical talent to back it up. 

Aside from the cup-holders being too small, our biggest issue with the Urus is the price. With a base model starting point of $200,000 USD, this vehicle is not for everyone. But to be honest, Lamborghinis aren’t for everyone. Despite the word on the street that dealers are seeing nearly 70% of all Urus buyers are new to the brand! 

Overall, the Urus is a delight to drive. The capable duality is impressive, and a short weekend makes us want it all the more. It’s docile and comfortable enough to pull daily driver duty, even with tiny cup-holders. Yet it still allows the drive to tap into the almost primal-like power reserves with the flick of a switch and a push of the pedal. 

Do we want one? Absolutely. And if you have the chance to drive and buy one, we’d wager you will feel the same way. It’s one bad-ass SSUV. 

Edited by porter

Ive been in a couple of Urus so far, and I never thought Id say this of an SUV, they are bad ass! Its like driving a sports car, disguised as an SUV! 

I did not like it from the moment it came out, it is nothing like the LM002 that I love. 

I did get to drive one last month and holy shit is it awesome! It’s a 4 door practical Huracan. I loved the sounds it makes and it does everything that you expect it to do. After the test drive I wanted one, I slept on it and woke up and said not a chance! I don’t want to lose my shirt on ownership and I would be bored in a month with it. 

I hope Lambo jacks it up and makes a small pickup box on the back!

Are those really all of Alex's words? :P (Just kidding but I noticed porter edited the review. :icon_mrgreen:)

Anyway, I had the fortune of trying the Urus for a few days twice.  The 1st time was in February right before a snow storm.  In short, it does work in the snow and quite well in fact.  The 2nd time was during the summer.  Let's just say this vehicle can put some of the better-performance cars to shame with ease.  At times, it almost felt like it was defying physics.  How can a SUV have almost the same road-hugging characteristics of a high-performance sports car along with similar acceleration and almost as good the stopping power?  Yes, this vehicle is worthy of the badge that has a charging bull.  But therein lies the dilemma...  It's styled like the current Lambo line-up (more on this later) but it shares the same chassis architecture with an Audi, a Porsche and a Bentley.  Sit inside and the Audi-esque interior overwhelms you.  And it has an engine that originated at Porsche.  So just how authentic is this "Lamborghini"?  While its performance was highly commendable, it certainly didn't feel very "Italian".  It felt a lot more "clinical" like a German-made vehicle.  That may not necessarily be a bad thing but it's just felt odd when it wears a charging-bull shield on its hood.   And the interior really doesn't have anything to do with Italian styling or fancy leather-work either.

As to the styling, I saw the original concept IRL at the Lamborghini SpA during the Grande Giro in 2013.  I was very fortunate to be selected as one of the special guests who was invited to a secret preview/critique event a coupe of years later to see the evolutionary styling of the vehicle.  At that time, the vehicle evolved from the original red-coloured concept but it was also quite different looking from the Urus we are seeing today.  It was compared to the Range Rover Sport, the Cayenne and the X6.  The interior was also quite different and was more akin to that of the Huracan.  After we were individually shown the vehicle, an one-on-one interview was conducted and we were asked a number of questions as well as to express our views freely.  I cannot go into details but 4 different engines were listed for the Urus at that time.  I am not sure if I like the Urus' final form.  Yes, it certainly has the DNA of the modern Lambo's but a lot of it seemed superfluous.  E.g. the front grill, IMO,  is way too complicated.  Squint your eyes a bit and you can see 4 BBQ forks!  The vents on the front fenders do not serve any real purpose aside from adding the visuals.  And the rear definitely has the same bloodline as an Audi.  In fact, I think the Q8 actually looks prettier.  I will admit that the creative styling is limited given that it needs to meet the criteria of a SUV.  And this vehicle is caught in a bit of a styling evolution anomaly since it was originally a Perini design and Borkert had to pick up where Perini left off and finished the job.  But I would respectfully disagree strongly with Borkert casting any relationship on the Urus with the LM002.  This I can say without the slightest hesitation as I, like rhyno , am an owner of a LM002 as well.  Nothing is similar between the two.  Not any of the LM's styling, not any of its feel and not any of its character whatsoever!  The LM002 and the Urus are two mutually exclusive vehicles, period.  And if I have to pick only one, I think the choice is obvious but to be fair, their purposes are entirely different as well.

As a SUV, the Urus is likely the most versatile of the entire genre.  Is it the best, that depends on your criteria.  If you want opulence, there are several other makes that can easily top the Urus.  If you want utilitarian, there are several other makes that serves that purpose at much lower costs.  And if you want something almost as good but at lower costs, the Urus close cousins from Audi and Porsche would fill that gap nicely.  So is the Urus in an odd position and being pointless then?  Yes and no.  For the yes part, the just afore-said sentences had answered that already.  As to the no part, since when do practicality and rationality belong in the same sentence with the word Lamborghini?  But this is categorically the most practical and most rational Lamborghini that has ever offered to the public.  And by sheer statistics, the majority of Urus owners are entirely new to the brand.  No one would part with that kind of money on a SUV if it is pointless and an oddball.  So from a marketing point of view, the Urus is a success.  It is, at least for the time being, in a class of its own and it has the performance to wear the charging-bull shield proudly.  No problem if you don't like it, there are plenty who do and are ready to pay serious money for one.  How long would this passion last and how much this would water-down this exotic car brand, only time can tell.  Finally, would I get one?  Well, never say never but I think I am still in the lukewarm stage as of now and it would likely take a lot more to convince me before I would actually pull the trigger.  Not saying I don't like it.  In fact, I think its mighty impressive.  Just that I have yet to figure out where the Urus would belong and what purpose would it serves if I were to get one.  And I am not entirely sure if I can call it a true Lamborghini. 

(Oops...  I think my review is actually longer than the "official review" above... :huh:)

Great review as always VCR!  Thank you for taking the time to give us your thoughts in such a well executed manner. I feel like an uneducated Instagram poster after reading this lol

I test drove one for a day. It feels like a much smaller car than it is. Really great handling and braking. Exhaust sounds good with pops and crackles. Loved the heads up display and Bang and Olufsen sound system, but wouldn't trade my Trackhawk for one unless they were a lot closer in price.

12 hours ago, VCR said:

Are those really all of Alex's words? :P (Just kidding but I noticed porter edited the review. :icon_mrgreen:)

Anyway, I had the fortune of trying the Urus for a few days twice.  The 1st time was in February right before a snow storm.  In short, it does work in the snow and quite well in fact.  The 2nd time was during the summer.  Let's just say this vehicle can put some of the better-performance cars to shame with ease.  At times, it almost felt like it was defying physics.  How can a SUV have almost the same road-hugging characteristics of a high-performance sports car along with similar acceleration and almost as good the stopping power?  Yes, this vehicle is worthy of the badge that has a charging bull.  But therein lies the dilemma...  It's styled like the current Lambo line-up (more on this later) but it shares the same chassis architecture with an Audi, a Porsche and a Bentley.  Sit inside and the Audi-esque interior overwhelms you.  And it has an engine that originated at Porsche.  So just how authentic is this "Lamborghini"?  While its performance was highly commendable, it certainly didn't feel very "Italian".  It felt a lot more "clinical" like a German-made vehicle.  That may not necessarily be a bad thing but it's just felt odd when it wears a charging-bull shield on its hood.   And the interior really doesn't have anything to do with Italian styling or fancy leather-work either.

As to the styling, I saw the original concept IRL at the Lamborghini SpA during the Grande Giro in 2013.  I was very fortunate to be selected as one of the special guests who was invited to a secret preview/critique event a coupe of years later to see the evolutionary styling of the vehicle.  At that time, the vehicle evolved from the original red-coloured concept but it was also quite different looking from the Urus we are seeing today.  It was compared to the Range Rover Sport, the Cayenne and the X6.  The interior was also quite different and was more akin to that of the Huracan.  After we were individually shown the vehicle, an one-on-one interview was conducted and we were asked a number of questions as well as to express our views freely.  I cannot go into details but 4 different engines were listed for the Urus at that time.  I am not sure if I like the Urus' final form.  Yes, it certainly has the DNA of the modern Lambo's but a lot of it seemed superfluous.  E.g. the front grill, IMO,  is way too complicated.  Squint your eyes a bit and you can see 4 BBQ forks!  The vents on the front fenders do not serve any real purpose aside from adding the visuals.  And the rear definitely has the same bloodline as an Audi.  In fact, I think the Q8 actually looks prettier.  I will admit that the creative styling is limited given that it needs to meet the criteria of a SUV.  And this vehicle is caught in a bit of a styling evolution anomaly since it was originally a Perini design and Borkert had to pick up where Perini left off and finished the job.  But I would respectfully disagree strongly with Borkert casting any relationship on the Urus with the LM002.  This I can say without the slightest hesitation as I, like rhyno , am an owner of a LM002 as well.  Nothing is similar between the two.  Not any of the LM's styling, not any of its feel and not any of its character whatsoever!  The LM002 and the Urus are two mutually exclusive vehicles, period.  And if I have to pick only one, I think the choice is obvious but to be fair, their purposes are entirely different as well.

As a SUV, the Urus is likely the most versatile of the entire genre.  Is it the best, that depends on your criteria.  If you want opulence, there are several other makes that can easily top the Urus.  If you want utilitarian, there are several other makes that serves that purpose at much lower costs.  And if you want something almost as good but at lower costs, the Urus close cousins from Audi and Porsche would fill that gap nicely.  So is the Urus in an odd position and being pointless then?  Yes and no.  For the yes part, the just afore-said sentences had answered that already.  As to the no part, since when do practicality and rationality belong in the same sentence with the word Lamborghini?  But this is categorically the most practical and most rational Lamborghini that has ever offered to the public.  And by sheer statistics, the majority of Urus owners are entirely new to the brand.  No one would part with that kind of money on a SUV if it is pointless and an oddball.  So from a marketing point of view, the Urus is a success.  It is, at least for the time being, in a class of its own and it has the performance to wear the charging-bull shield proudly.  No problem if you don't like it, there are plenty who do and are ready to pay serious money for one.  How long would this passion last and how much this would water-down this exotic car brand, only time can tell.  Finally, would I get one?  Well, never say never but I think I am still in the lukewarm stage as of now and it would likely take a lot more to convince me before I would actually pull the trigger.  Not saying I don't like it.  In fact, I think its mighty impressive.  Just that I have yet to figure out where the Urus would belong and what purpose would it serves if I were to get one.  And I am not entirely sure if I can call it a true Lamborghini. 

(Oops...  I think my review is actually longer than the "official review" above... :huh:)

Awesome insights, really appreciate the time and effort in putting that together. Makes a lot of sense. 

I remember the concept at Pebble, and wanted more of that in final execution, but leave it to the "safety" and efficiency buzz kills to squash that. 

On 10/30/2019 at 9:31 AM, Destructo said:

Awesome insights, really appreciate the time and effort in putting that together. Makes a lot of sense. 

I remember the concept at Pebble, and wanted more of that in final execution, but leave it to the "safety" and efficiency buzz kills to squash that. 

On 10/30/2019 at 9:42 AM, kmr said:

Thank you for the write up VCR. Very well worded and makes sense. 

Thank you both very much gentlemen.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Great write up!

I have too many cars  :D Who wants to take my 2019 White Urus off my hands? NJ

• 1 year later...