Cheapest part on my Lamborghini Murcielago and I MADE IT Myself! See what I made and how I did it!

Old Guy Garage

I'm signed up to your channel and watched this last night.

Very impressive high quality work.

This has inspired me to do similar for my Diablo which I have found to bottom out more than my Murcielago. Either the Diablo is lower or the suspension / tyres give different ride hight characteristics on the cars geometry. My completely unscientific bum cheeks meter suggests the Diablo is lower.

3 hours ago, V12noise said:

Been meaning to ask you, how did you clean our hubs - they always look super clean in your vids?

I have another video in the can, going to post it shortly showing that detail on the suspension as well as the brakes. Had it all apart at the same time. Here are some teaser pics of the front and rear suspension.

20190928_170805.jpg

20190928_170831.jpg

1 hour ago, darth sidious said:

I'm signed up to your channel and watched this last night.

Very impressive high quality work.

This has inspired me to do similar for my Diablo which I have found to bottom out more than my Murcielago. Either the Diablo is lower or the suspension / tyres give different ride hight characteristics on the cars geometry. My completely unscientific bum cheeks meter suggests the Diablo is lower.

Thanks very much.  I would rather have bought the skid plates but did not want the holes to mismatch.

I don't really understand the skid plates. They don't seem strong enough to prevent damage to the bumper in a really hard hit, they lower ground clearance, they get rashes themselves so your car is no longer perfect when they get hit , and now you have a bunch of ugly holes in your bumper which are harder to fix when it comes time to sell than some rash. 

2 hours ago, Stimpy said:

I don't really understand the skid plates. They don't seem strong enough to prevent damage to the bumper in a really hard hit, they lower ground clearance, they get rashes themselves so your car is no longer perfect when they get hit , and now you have a bunch of ugly holes in your bumper which are harder to fix when it comes time to sell than some rash. 

I do. They are not for a hard hit, but a scrape, which they are there to take instead of grinding paint and carbon fiber off your bumper. Skid plates are acceptable, IMHO.

Compare it to paint protection film then.

23 hours ago, Old Guy Garage said:

I have another video in the can, going to post it shortly showing that detail on the suspension as well as the brakes. Had it all apart at the same time. Here are some teaser pics of the front and rear suspension.

Look forward to it  - I did mine last winter...

Refurb1.jpg

Refurb2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/31/2019 at 8:09 AM, Stimpy said:

I had those exact same concerns or reasons for not adding the skid plates; but after thinking it through and discussions with others I had them added. I have seen many exotics but not many seem to have such a long front end to tire distance, so the front is real prone to hitting an uneven surface before the front tires arrive to that surface to raise the car. Sure when you see something the hydraulic button helps raise the car and angling the car helps too, but sometimes not enough or sometimes you don't see shit before it happens. For instance on the drive south near Laguna Beach I see road gouges on this one road dip where many cars have bottomed out...oops too late. I was also concerned about the added lower ground clearance by adding them but they are so thin that you can't even see them unless you bend down parallel and close to the car (see photo kneeling down). But the real benefit is if you have an unexpected incident (or more), you can just replace the skid plate whereas without the plate then you are looking at repairing carbon fiber, paint etc (or the entire bumper if bad enough). If you don't care about your front bumper underside I guess no big deal, but I have seen some cars that got scraped where you can visibly see the damage on the front lower portion when looking at the car straight on. Street pavement seems to rip the carbon fiber apart but with skid plate it just leaves small skid marks in the plastic surface and like I said easy to then replace the plate if you want. I am pretty careful and have not scraped my plates yet, but just glad they are there just in case. Anyway my longwinded reasoning.

IMG_1614SkidPlate.jpg