Interesting Diablo just listed

Double

My Diablo specifics history is a bit rusty, but from what I can tell with a little bit of light reading. 

This appears to be just a standard VT with parts added by Burtoni and some desperately trying to influence people so spend more for something less.

Someone should get this car, strip it and make it back to a decent ride. That paint and "custom touches" look horrid (for my tastes).

I visited Al when he was building these cars in 1996, at the prototyping stage, and he said if the car had all the engine internals changed out it would net over 700HP at the flywheel...so, this car didn't have that full engine package, if it did that would be a very interesting car!  You could break the tires loose, in 3rd gear, at 70mph (I was in a test Diablo (2wd) at Laguna Seca that did exactly that), that's a lot of power, having in a VT would be awesome to keep the power to the ground rather than spinning the wheels.

"V12 Engineering" was Al's company and you see that name on the engine covers

Thanks for explaining - I appreciate it.

I think the move is to cosmetically bring it back from those garish visuals - and then just drive it for the fun of it.

It would be cool to remake the correct Jota wheels, though if they were originally 17" then I'd do them in 18".

lamborghini_diablo_se30_jota_side_profile-1024x575.jpg

14 minutes ago, TestShoot said:

those "touches" are pretty rancid. "Oevil man" in poor hot-rodder-in-the-midwest script is laughable

Not a fan of the carnival Air brush font? :lol2: 

On 1/1/2020 at 9:41 AM, jtse30 said:

I visited Al when he was building these cars in 1996, at the prototyping stage, and he said if the car had all the engine internals changed out it would net over 700HP at the flywheel...so, this car didn't have that full engine package, if it did that would be a very interesting car!  You could break the tires loose, in 3rd gear, at 70mph (I was in a test Diablo (2wd) at Laguna Seca that did exactly that), that's a lot of power, having in a VT would be awesome to keep the power to the ground rather than spinning the wheels.

"V12 Engineering" was Al's company and you see that name on the engine covers

No way any Diablo is breaking the rear tires loose at 70mph in 3rd gear.  And Al's Hp claims were a fairy tale. 

I think this car is pretty cool, and I like the intake. Seems cool, but I imagine repairs may be a bit hairy.. Cool concept, ugly ass car. I agree with Alan, fairy tale numbers.

Not a fan.

A) Definitely not a Jota.

B ) Other than the interior, there is nothing "original"(as in OEM) about this car.  Engine is obviously modded as is the exterior paint (that colour came from the Nissan Skyline R34 GTR) and so are the wheels .  

C) Agree with others that the performance numbers are fairy tales.

D) There's a reason why its price is on the low side.  It simply has too many questions which would definitely affect its current and future value.  If this car fancies you, by all means as it's your money, your car and your enjoyment of it.  But be prepare to either keep this car for a long time or to take quite a haircut when it's time to pass it onto someone else.

On 1/2/2020 at 5:51 PM, Allan-Herbie said:

No way any Diablo is breaking the rear tires loose at 70mph in 3rd gear.  And Al's Hp claims were a fairy tale. 

I was in the car at the time, at Laguna Seca...November 1996, it happened.

9 hours ago, jtse30 said:

I was in the car at the time, at Laguna Seca...November 1996, it happened.

I suspect you both are right. I would doubt on a flat stretch at 70 MPH in third it's breaking loose. However, at Laguna with all the cambered corners and switch backs you could get the rear end to step out with spinning tires under the right circumstance. It's a fun track regardless and was probably a great experience to drive. 

37 minutes ago, topcabron said:

At 70 mph I was usually in second not third

That's what I was thinking; what kind of revs were you showing at that point? I'd think under "just the right" circumstances you could get it to slip in second, but not third. Unless you're unloading wheels in corners.  

in 3rd to attempt to prevent wheelspin as that is all that was happening in 2nd, top of 2nd was about 90mph, so upped to 3rd, still spun tires at 70, that's why 3rd (3rd top is about 120mph)

Tires and weather do play a huge factor into it as well. I can spin the tires in the 91 diablo pretty easily on certain pavements here. Right by my house is a slick surface with dust and I can spin them in any gear. Dangerous spot to push it. There is a possibility that Leguna was dusty that day from wind or the tires were old. I don't think their claim on their dyno hp is outlandish on this particular car. I am sure it pushes hard and has gobs of power. 

Agree with Chad.

Stating the obvious here but the point being it really isn’t too difficult to get high hp & torque out of a drivetrain especially of that size.  But how to manage that kind of power so the car is drivable on the street while lasting its intended servicing life is the challenges.  The wheel spin is the best & worst examples in this case.  It’s relatively easy to get 800+ hp out of any Nissan GTR (from the R32 onward).  Getting high hp is the easy part; making it behave & feel “normal”  are the difficulties.  And what good is a high hp car that spends more time in the shop getting tuned & repaired than on the road?  

10 hours ago, jtse30 said:

in 3rd to attempt to prevent wheelspin as that is all that was happening in 2nd, top of 2nd was about 90mph, so upped to 3rd, still spun tires at 70, that's why 3rd (3rd top is about 120mph)

Never happen.... 

8 hours ago, megachad said:

Tires and weather do play a huge factor into it as well. I can spin the tires in the 91 diablo pretty easily on certain pavements here. Right by my house is a slick surface with dust and I can spin them in any gear. Dangerous spot to push it. There is a possibility that Leguna was dusty that day from wind or the tires were old. I don't think their claim on their dyno hp is outlandish on this particular car. I am sure it pushes hard and has gobs of power. 

In normal conditions, no way the Diablo is spinning the tires at 70mph in 3rd.  To give an idea , TurboAlex dynoed a real Jota, and it made around 440rwhp.  Aproximately 20rwhp more than my  Sv. 

I assumed they were calculating for crank hp with what they quoted. As well depends on the dyno they used. Not all produce correct hp. In reality a dyno is just a tool to adjust for gains and losses. The most consistent dyno I have been around is dynojet. Every dynojet I have used (4 differebt ones) has been within 1hp on my race car 255rwhp. Dyno’d on a mustang and my car was 233rwhp. A friends car that dyno’s same as mine on dynojet showed 300rwhp on the mustang.. we then took both of our cars back to a dynojet and both of our cars were 255rwhp. I have to prove I am not over powering in spec racing all the time. So thats why I have done it often. 

So all dyno claims are pointless really. Without a baseline to see what the car dyno’d prior to the changes anyways. 

2 hours ago, Allan-Herbie said:

In normal conditions, no way the Diablo is spinning the tires at 70mph in 3rd.  To give an idea , TurboAlex dynoed a real Jota, and it made around 440rwhp.  Aproximately 20rwhp more than my  Sv. 

And I agree with you in normal conditions no way. 

How did Alex create the supposed ram air intake for the jota that is supposed to give it that extra boost at speed?  Isnt the Jota Intake supposed to kind of work like forced induction from wind speed?  

8 hours ago, Kevin2772 said:

How did Alex create the supposed ram air intake for the jota that is supposed to give it that extra boost at speed?  Isnt the Jota Intake supposed to kind of work like forced induction from wind speed?  

He used one of those monster fans.  My Sv also has a ram air type system so if anything both would be hindered. But in reality you are not picking up too much power from that system. nothing like forced induction.