Lamborghini at GIMS 2020?

Luckydaff

Hello guys! I just got alarming news from a friend of mine. My friend told me that he had spoken to the brand manager of Lamborghini in Sweden and that he was told that Lamborghini is not going to be at GIMS 2020. Does anyone have any info about this? I really hope this is not the case as Lamborghini is one of the best cars at the show and have always been ...

Interesting. I thought they were going to debut the Squadra Corse Hypercar at 2020 Geneva Motor Show alongside the Huracan Evo RWD Spyder. 

1 hour ago, APB said:

Interesting. I thought they were going to debut the Squadra Corse Hypercar at 2020 Geneva Motor Show alongside the Huracan Evo RWD Spyder. 

The Hypercar thing is being unveiled at Goodwood Festival of Speed

1 hour ago, Luckydaff said:

The Hypercar thing is being unveiled at Goodwood Festival of Speed

Nice, it's more fitting I guess. Thanks for the info.

4 hours ago, Luckydaff said:

Hello guys! I just got alarming news from a friend of mine. My friend told me that he had spoken to the brand manager of Lamborghini in Sweden and that he was told that Lamborghini is not going to be at GIMS 2020. Does anyone have any info about this? I really hope this is not the case as Lamborghini is one of the best cars at the show and have always been ...

Interesting.

I assume they're going to focus more on Quail/Car week and Goodwood Festival of Speed to launch models . This way they can give customers and potential customers a better inmate experience as opposed to a large auto show.

16 hours ago, sl55 said:

Interesting.

I assume they're going to focus more on Quail/Car week and Goodwood Festival of Speed to launch models . This way they can give customers and potential customers a better inmate experience as opposed to a large auto show.

For sure this is the reasoning. But I personally fail to see why they change their strategy if they've been selling cars in record pace for the last few years. Why change the formula if it works? Plus it's very sad for me personally as I go to the show mostly to see new Lamborghinis ... They seem to forget their fans a bit imo.

15 minutes ago, Luckydaff said:

For sure this is the reasoning. But I personally fail to see why they change their strategy if they've been selling cars in record pace for the last few years. Why change the formula if it works? Plus it's very sad for me personally as I go to the show mostly to see new Lamborghinis ... They seem to forget their fans a bit imo.

Lamborghini stopped coming to the North American International Auto Show (Largest in the U.S.A.) quite a few years ago. The cost wasn't worth it to them was what I heard from multiple sources. Seems to be the move they are making then overall.

It makes sense though. Especially if the models are not making drastic changes and then they are selling only a few special editions, it wouldn't be worth it (financially and logistically). A higher concentration of fans and potential buyers exists at Quail and Goodwood than anywhere else on their list I'd wager.

Now it has been confirmed by themselves. 

https://www.motor1.com/news/392699/lamborghini-skip-2020-geneva-show/

Also sales record at 8205 cars delivered. That's Ferrari numbers! 

So for this year the timeline and models look like this so far:

Huracan Evo RWD Spyder

When and where: Internet  unveiling sometime in the summer or after the Quail? 

Squadra Corse Hypercar

When and where: July 2020, Goodwood FoS. 

Huracan STO

When and where: August 2020, The Quail, a Motorsports Gathering. 

Did I miss anything else? 

So how will they launch the Aventador replacement? Frankfurt? Or more regional previews similar to what they did with the Performante?

2 hours ago, sl55 said:

So how will they launch the Aventador replacement? Frankfurt? Or more regional previews similar to what they did with the Performante?

There is no word if they will skip Geneva Motor Show in 2021 though. 

Last I heard (probably outdated by now) is that Lamborghini would launch the Aventador replacement at 2021 Geneva Motor Show. If that still is the case then we should see test mules rolling out this year. 

What I don't get is that Lamborghini say they do not want their cars to share the spotlight with the competitors. But that will happen at the Quail in USA and at FOS in the UK anyway? What they are doing is giving their competitors all of the spotlight from the worlds automotive media in what is one of the biggest events of the calender. Everyone is going to be in Geneva to report. And everyone in Lambo's segment is going to be there to unveil cars. Last year over 600k people came to GIMS. I doubt there were 600k people at The Quail or at FOS the same year ... I really think Lamborghini is losing a lot of publicity here. 

1 hour ago, Luckydaff said:

What I don't get is that Lamborghini say they do not want their cars to share the spotlight with the competitors. But that will happen at the Quail in USA and at FOS in the UK anyway? What they are doing is giving their competitors all of the spotlight from the worlds automotive media in what is one of the biggest events of the calender. Everyone is going to be in Geneva to report. And everyone in Lambo's segment is going to be there to unveil cars. Last year over 600k people came to GIMS. I doubt there were 600k people at The Quail or at FOS the same year ... I really think Lamborghini is losing a lot of publicity here. 

I completely agree.  Grant it, the expectation that every year you have to have something new is not sustainable long term but they now have 3 lines (with several variants). The eyeballs both from professional media & target audience is unrivaled for the big shows like GIMS. I for one have gone fairly frequently and would miss Lambo's presence. Guess I am staying home this year.

2 hours ago, Luckydaff said:

You're not wrong, but what if they are looking at it from potential buyers? I'd wager that the concentration of buyers and potential buyers is far higher at The Quail and FOS than GIMS.

The state of the media and eyes on events are being covered far differently and for far less money with increased exposure than ever before. 

If they want eyes on product, look at one example. The Vehicle Virgins YouTube Channel, at one point was tolerable, but now has gone off the deep end, but somehow has 2.2 million subscribers. And Lamborghini has spend $0 advertising with that single channel. Sure media loans cost money (service, transport, etc), but nothing like a big show stand and display. But they loan him a car and next thing you know over 2 million people (mostly non-buyers and prepubescents) who look for brands like this are getting Lamborghini content right to their faces.

Just some thoughts. 

9 hours ago, Destructo said:

You're not wrong, but what if they are looking at it from potential buyers? I'd wager that the concentration of buyers and potential buyers is far higher at The Quail and FOS than GIMS.

The state of the media and eyes on events are being covered far differently and for far less money with increased exposure than ever before. 

If they want eyes on product, look at one example. The Vehicle Virgins YouTube Channel, at one point was tolerable, but now has gone off the deep end, but somehow has 2.2 million subscribers. And Lamborghini has spend $0 advertising with that single channel. Sure media loans cost money (service, transport, etc), but nothing like a big show stand and display. But they loan him a car and next thing you know over 2 million people (mostly non-buyers and prepubescents) who look for brands like this are getting Lamborghini content right to their faces.

Just some thoughts. 

I was thinking the same. There's more potential buyers at say Quail and FOS  vs GIMS which is why it seems like they're spending more money every year for the house/lounge during car week. Plus they have the test drives which really personalizes the entire experince. I assume they're getting a good ROI by doing these events.

Sounds like Lamborghini will also skip Paris. VW themselves already announced they won't be attending and Lamborghini might follow. 

19 hours ago, sl55 said:

I was thinking the same. There's more potential buyers at say Quail and FOS  vs GIMS which is why it seems like they're spending more money every year for the house/lounge during car week. Plus they have the test drives which really personalizes the entire experince. I assume they're getting a good ROI by doing these events.

Absolutely. If you pooled your entire budget of large-scale auto shows for displays, staff, food, set-up, tear down etc, doing a upscale lounge is going to be far cheaper! I mean most people that go to the lounge or either repeat customers or people who have a very good possibility of being a buyer or leaser. So you are spot on with the higher ROI.

I think they big car shows will go away all together. More specialized shows draw the people they want and nearly none of who they don't.  "For the times, they are a changin' "

Sad to see Lambo's absence if it's true but it does make sense from a business POV.  High-end cars manufacturers at large-scale shows can't just display their models only; they need to set up private lounges for their existing customers.  Some have VIP status so everything that goes on inside the lounge has to be topnotch and obviously costs add up quickly.  It's a huge undertaking.   For a relatively small company such as Lamborghini, their resources would be much better spent on doing events with a targeted audience of existing and potential clienteles.  Chances are Lambo would much rather entertain customers to come for a factory visit than to go through the logistic nightmare and high costs of doing a generic show in a another country.  True that with the absence, some potential customers may look to other brands; but targeted event aimed for devotees to the brand is likely plenty more effective and have much better ROI.  Dedicated brand events have much better control (and success) over generic trade shows for the public.

I think Japan is a good example and set a precedent for Lambo.  They had pulled out of the biennial Tokyo Motor Show years ago.  TMS is considered a major automotive event in Asia.  But Lambo has been busy doing events of their own within Japan with huge success (vintage model tour in Kyoto, 50th anniversary of Lamborghini's in Japan etc...) and obvious Lamborghini sales in Japan has not been compromised (Japan is still Lambo's 2nd largest market, after the US).  So it makes business sense for Lambo to concentrate on Quail.  There may also be some business politics involved; now that Porsche has taken over Audi to be Lambo's parent.  Porsche remains to be one of the most if not the most profitable automotive brand so in order to prevent Lambo from infringing onto its market share (Lambo is following the same path as Porsche with the introduction of the Urus and the rumoured 4th model being a 2+2), perhaps Porsche is mandating Lamborghini to dial it back a bit?

I guess I'll be saving money by not having to travel to Geneva and stay in a hotel for two nights then ... too bad, I really enjoyed GIMS every year I was able to attend.