WheelsRCool

Value vs growth investing?

I'm curious as to how people go about investing; does anyone do value investing? I've read things saying it doesn't work anymore, but then other articles saying that often seems the case during periods of low interest rates and bull markets, but that one has to consider the long-term, also that one can do it in combination with growth investing. Right now value investing seems to be getting hammered while growth investing is all the rage due to the bull market. I'm just curious about people's thoughts on it. 

If you watch any fox news I'm sure you'll be VERY interested in some precious metals for investing! :lol2: 

I couldn't believe how much they were hocking those outlets, it was hilarious. 

Chances are by the time it's "all the rage" and you've heard about it, the money has been made and the sheep are being led to slaughter.

You're obviously not super experienced so play it cool and learn the ropes.  Hard to beat the simplicity of an S&P fund and the return over the past 3 years has been something like 44%. 

4 hours ago, emanon said:

Chances are by the time it's "all the rage" and you've heard about it, the money has been made and the sheep are being led to slaughter.

You're obviously not super experienced so play it cool and learn the ropes.  Hard to beat the simplicity of an S&P fund and the return over the past 3 years has been something like 44%. 

Knowing very little of "investing strategy" would you consider the next election, if it goes Blue to short the market for downturn or if it goes Red to long for more growth? 

36 minutes ago, Destructo said:

Knowing very little of "investing strategy" would you consider the next election, if it goes Blue to short the market for downturn or if it goes Red to long for more growth? 

Personally I don't have the time to watch everything close enough (or the balls) to play the short game.  My gut feeling is be liquid around election time.  It isn't going to spike up like 2016, so if Trump wins it's going to keep doing whatever it's doing at that time.  If he loses i'd bet on an immediate selloff.  If you've been in the market for any reasonable amount of time you're up a nice bit.  Nobody ever went broke taking profit.  So i'll cash out the volatile stuff and see how things play out.  Might miss a small bit of gains along the way, but surely won't get slaughtered if it dips.

Never a bad idea to have some $$ parked in things that aren't market dependent, recession proof companies.

No matter what happens watch the VC backed marijuana companies, somewhere in there is the next apple/amazon/google.

On 1/28/2020 at 10:25 AM, emanon said:

Yep, and the fees charged by an index fund are much lower than those of a mutual fund as well.  I think I read that only 10% or something of mutual funds have historically out-performed an index fund?  I moved almost everything I had in equities to an S&P fund years ago, and have not regretted it. 

3 hours ago, RedGTS said:

Yep, and the fees charged by an index fund are much lower than those of a mutual fund as well.  I think I read that only 10% or something of mutual funds have historically out-performed an index fund?  I moved almost everything I had in equities to an S&P fund years ago, and have not regretted it. 

How volatile are index funds compared to say a mutual fund? Newbie question here, but growing interested in where to invest lately. 

On 1/30/2020 at 5:05 PM, Destructo said:

How volatile are index funds compared to say a mutual fund? Newbie question here, but growing interested in where to invest lately. 

They're as volatile as whatever index they're tied to.  So an S&P index fund follows the S&P, up or down.  Volatility of a mutual fund depends on what is in the fund's portfolio.  Most of them will go up or down with the overall market also, but vary from the major indexes because they hold various other things as well, not just stock in the companies that make up an index.

1 minute ago, RedGTS said:

They're as volatile as whatever index they're tied to.  So an S&P index fund follows the S&P, up or down.  Volatility of a mutual fund depends on what is in the fund's portfolio.  Most of them will go up or down with the overall market also, but vary from the major indexes because they hold various other things as well, not just stock in the companies that make up an index.

Oh cool thanks! There is a lot to learn, and I haven't even really started reading on it yet :lol2: Thanks for the tid bit, good to know!