Quail 2020

sl55

Invites for tickets have gone out so who's going this year? From what I've read they'll be unveiling the Huracan STO and Bugatti might be showing something new.

1 minute ago, sl55 said:

Invites for tickets have gone out so who's going this year? From what I've read they'll be unveiling the Huracan STO and Bugatti might be showing something new.

Is that earlier than year's previous? Seems like it. I'm betting Lamborghini does more than just the one, but I could be wrong. 

1 minute ago, Destructo said:

Is that earlier than year's previous? Seems like it. I'm betting Lamborghini does more than just the one, but I could be wrong. 

Nope, I got an invite around this time last year. They also had tickets available last month for people who wanted to skip the lottery.

• 1 month later...

I have been on the fence because I am not sure--pretty sure we will be dealing with this virus through the summer. Kinda sucks because I have not secure housing yet.

I think events in August should be fairly safe...looks like the US is following the Italian infection curve as Italy followed China's...so the next week or so we will see a spike and then it should taper off. My guess is events in May will get cancelled but things in late June onward should be good to go. I have my tickets and lodging, but who knows, all we can do at this point is hope for the best.

I personally don't think Quail (if it happens) will be a big draw this year with businesses going bankrupt and the economy imploding and heading towards a recession. Also, a lot of manufactures are in lockdown and it will take them months to catch up meaning new models will certainly be delayed and budgets will be cut. 

I think a lot of things are going to change once we're done with this virus and it's going to take a while for things to return to "normal". Safe to say  2020 is a write off.

I think “normal” will look different after we emerge. 
Hoping everyone stays healthy and safe!

On 3/22/2020 at 2:29 PM, cake said:

I think “normal” will look different after we emerge. 
Hoping everyone stays healthy and safe!

I agree.

Rumour is Mclaren pulled out of PB, it'll be interesting to see if any other manufacturer pulls out.

I reckon there's going to be a lot of cut backs this year so I wouldn't be surprised if we have other brands drop out or scale back assuming PB and Quail happening.

10 hours ago, sl55 said:

Rumour is Mclaren pulled out of PB, it'll be interesting to see if any other manufacturer pulls out.

I reckon there's going to be a lot of cut backs this year so I wouldn't be surprised if we have other brands drop out or scale back assuming PB and Quail happening.

Are they having financial troubles? I mean with rolling out new models so often it seems like they are rolling the dice on being able to keep the lights on. I'm no expert on it, but it would seem they are in a bad way. 

Things aren't looking so good for VW which isn't good news for Lamborghini...

Volkswagen AG’s unprecedented move to halt output on both sides of the Atlantic costs the world’s largest automaker 2 billion euros ($2.2 billion) per week, and Chief Executive Officer Herbert Diess said decisive action is critical to overcome the coronavirus pandemic.

Sales outside China have effectively come to a standstill, while demand in the country, VW’s largest single market, has clawed back to about 50% of pre-crisis levels, Diess said during a panel discussion broadcast by ZDF late Thursday.

VW can endure the factory shutdowns in Europe and the Americas for several weeks, “but not indefinitely,” Diess said. The company is in a strong financial position, but he didn’t rule out “structural measures” if the crisis drags on for many months or even years in a worst-case scenario.

“Even for the financially strong company Volkswagen, the current exceptional situation represents an acute economic danger,” Diess, Chairman Hans Dieter Poetsch, and works council chief Bernd Osterloh said Friday in a joint letter to workers. Last year, VW generated 50 million euros in profit daily, money that’s “urgently needed” to fund investments in new technology and products, they added.

Recouping incurred losses will be difficult and take a long time, “much longer than the coronacrisis itself. And with every crisis day, it’s becoming more difficult,” the top executives said in the letter seen by Bloomberg.

Read more: Daimler Seeks Over $11 Billion Credit Line to Weather Crisis

In a separate interview, Chief Financial Officer Frank Witter said that, as things stand, VW won’t need financial support from the German government, beyond tapping into cash for employees on short-time work.

“Seen from today’s perspective, I rule that out,” Witter told Boersen-Zeitung newspaper Friday. “In the car unit, we have strong cash flow and decent net liquidity.”

Witter flagged what he called a “significant network of confirmed, partly syndicated credit lines” of more than 30 billion euros. “Using these instruments, we should have the strength to get through the corona crisis and maintain liquidity at the necessary level,” Witter said.

“The threat of the coronavirus is more punitive to auto credit quality than the Great Recession,” Bloomberg Intelligence analyst Joel Levington said in a note. “Credit profiles can be swiftly decimated during global auto-sector downturns,” he said.

Diess stressed that strict discipline in following medical advice is key to fighting the spread of the virus and said VW is already preparing to resume operations. These efforts include intensified sanitary measures and ensuring more distance between employees in work spaces.

He’s “confident” VW can roll out its important ID.3 electric car this summer as planned but said that business conditions overall remain difficult to predict.

VW shares dropped 8% to 116.85 euros as of 3:00 p.m. in Frankfurt, amid a regional decline in share prices across Europe.

• 4 weeks later...

Tickets roll-over to 2021 which is fine by me. I was worried they would hold the event and have a poor manufacturer turnout.  Maybe we'll see the Aventador replacement revealed at Quail 2021!?

3 hours ago, falconsprint said:

Tickets roll-over to 2021 which is fine by me. I was worried they would hold the event and have a poor manufacturer turnout.  Maybe we'll see the Aventador replacement revealed at Quail 2021!?

I'm thinking a bigger venue for the replacement, probably Geneva assuming production doesn't get delayed because of COVID.

On 4/24/2020 at 1:48 AM, sl55 said:

I'm thinking a bigger venue for the replacement, probably Geneva assuming production doesn't get delayed because of COVID.

You wonder if they'll start doing events every other year now? The thought crossed my mind, but I wasn't sure if anyone else had considered it. 

I'm thinking massive budget cuts will be happening in the car industry in the coming months due to the economic fallout that awaits us once the lockdown is over. It probably means more manufacturers will skip car shows and possibility scale back their presence at events like car week.