Color affecting resale value

FrankD

Just want to get a general feeling about affecting resale.  I know that there will always be a premium for certain colors......I'm looking at a 2003 Murci in Giallo Evros (Pearl Yellow)  Thought, comments appreciated.

Are you asking about the color preference for you and how you should negotiate a better deal, or, are you asking after you purchase what the resale will be like for the car down the road? I always find buying the color you like is better than buying the color someone else would like in the future. Since I’m the one that has to look at the car every time I drive it I’m gonna drive the car that I like looking at. What happens later takes care ofnitself.

A little bit of all of the above.  The gated Murci is a relatively rare bird.  If I was dealing with a car that had more inventory, yellow would not be my first choice.  Not hating it though.  I agree that these things usually take car of themselves.......  just wanted to get a general consensus about the color in general... 

That's a beautiful color, but from my perspective: Buy a car you like for you and don't worry about the resale. Unless you're looking for a flip, but just enjoy life and the car. The rest will fall into place. 

Buy it and wrap it a color you love.  Then you can leave it or remove the wrap when selling.  Since it's a manual resale should be very good regardless of color 

23 hours ago, Chipster said:

Buy it and wrap it a color you love.  Then you can leave it or remove the wrap when selling.  Since it's a manual resale should be very good regardless of color 

What does a good wrap cost these days? $5K-7K? I mean I wouldn't discount doing it, just curious more than anything. 

• 4 weeks later...

Agree with buy what color you like, but as far as how color may affect resale, you have to keep in mind not only what is desirable (the demand side), but the supply side as well (i.e., how many were made).   I can't speak to the Murcis, but with the Gallardos, yellow has always been a popular color, but Lamborghini also made a ton of the cars in yellow, so they were not as sought after as say orange or green in my experience, because far fewer cars were made in those colors.  It was also always my understanding that silver was the least "desirable" color on a G.  I can't imagine yellow would have any negative effect on resale for a Murci, and it's a beautiful color, so if you like it, buy it.

Colour is fairly low down the hierarchy of factors impacting resale value. Condition, mileage, recall campaign history, service records, track and driver style history should all rank higher than colour regarding value.

Yellow has always been a popular colour for V12 cars and there will always be buyers. You shouldn't have a problem with a properly sorted car. Even with the less popular colours there is a bum for every seat out there somewhere.

Get the colour that you like. You only have to please yourself. No one else matters.

When I realised I wanted a Diablo I decided it had to be a 6 litre and pearl yellow (Giallo Orion). Nothing else would do. Of the 26 RHD cars built 5 were pearl yellow. It took me 3 years. Nine years later not once do I regret holding out for what I wanted.