General Motors Kills off Holden Brand

Destructo

In a not so surprising move, General Motors announced it is killing off the Holden brand in Australia and New Zealand. Guess they are making good on going all electric fleet, which sucks. Either that means they'll turn the Corvette all electric or kill it eventually. Thoughts?

Source: https://www.motor1.com/news/399009/holden-to-be-axed-australia/

They never gave the brand a chance in US but it was definitely had a very positive performance reputation overseas.  Definitely a loss in many markets. I have driven a few cars and they was definitely worthy of the reputation.  RIP.

I think everything is going to get electrified or at least have some version of electrification--rules are getting tougher and tougher not to do it. I only hope we retain some fun performance cars that are not overly-nannied.

17 minutes ago, DoctaM3 said:

They never gave the brand a chance in US but it was definitely had a very positive performance reputation overseas.  Definitely a loss in many markets. I have driven a few cars and they was definitely worthy of the reputation.  RIP.

I think everything is going to get electrified or at least have some version of electrification--rules are getting tougher and tougher not to do it. I only hope we retain some fun performance cars that are not overly-nannied.

Anything that came to the States from Holden was so such a lazy attempt at re-branding by GM, it put a bad taste in the mouth of many for them I'd think. I grew up in the domestic crowd so I always aligned more with GM performance than others, but I don't object to any of them now that I'm older. Each has its own merits.

The electrification is coming sadly, but the coal power plants will have to ramp up production to keep up with the demand if we move the population to that kind of fleet. 

That being said, check this out. They revamped a 69 Camaro to all electric with a three-pedal manual. It's pretty cool, although I wouldn't ruin a genuine vintage camaro for it. You can just buy a chassis and refab body to do that kind of stuff with. So there will always be fun, just not how I think we are used to unfortunately. 

http://www.speedhunters.com/2020/02/pure-electric-power/

On 2/18/2020 at 11:18 AM, DoctaM3 said:

How does anyone plan to charge all these electric cars? Nuclear plants and coal plants are closing. Seems the world powers want to go green, but green forms cant power it all. Even some tree huggers are saying we need Nuclear if we have any hopes of powering everything. And another thing, electricity is relatively cheap now, but wait until there is millions of electric cars out there. 

I just dont see how electric cars is the solution to the worlds pollution. 

Sorry to get off topic.