Novel coronavirus (COVID-19, the Virus Formerly Known as Wuhan) Panic Thread!

Destructo

So has everyone stored up on toilet paper and paper towel for an apparent flu-like experience?

It's interesting to watch the panic take down so many events. Anyone here dealing with it directly?

I'll post up some numbers and data when I get a chance, but it seems to be blown WAY out of proportion for the overall risk.

Anyone have conspiracy thoughts on it?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I drove by a Costco yesterday morning around 7:30 am. There must have been 2,000 people in line hours before it opened.  If that type of hoarding behauvior continues, rationing may be coming. The stupidity is mind numbing. 

40 minutes ago, kinnsella said:

I drove by a Costco yesterday morning around 7:30 am. There must have been 2,000 people in line hours before it opened.  If that type of hoarding behauvior continues, rationing may be coming. The stupidity is mind numbing. 

It's getting out of hand, and less than 20 people have died from it here in the States! 

I had to run  to the store yesterday and you could just see the fear in people's eyes. Not saying I'm above having supplies on hand or blaming people for wanting to have supplies for impending rations and quarantines, but I can see where people are going to lose their shit, and fast. 

I live in Nashville and worked in the music business for 9 years and have many friends that still do that are musicians and artist.  They are definitely feeling it with LiveNation putting all tours on pause until further notice. 

My other buddy owns a company that puts on festivals and large private events. He's taken over a $400,000 hit in the last 72 hrs.

The other thing is my friend is the head surgeon of a hospital down in FL.  Been getting his opinion on things.  He was saying the thing that is concerning now, is that they're finding people that who had the virus and recovered are experiencing bad lung scarring/damage where they're loosing between 20-30% lung capacity. I think that this may feel way over blown and out of proportion, but I would rather that currently, than allowing thing to continue very lax to the point where it is everywhere and then everyone's like "oh fcuk".  I dunno, we shall see.

Im not a business owner but a simply employee that works for a travel call center..... Its not good.

We are owned by an American company but our client is Canadian and calls volume is crazy right now but actual bookings. (the money maker) is way day. I'm expecting 20% reduction in hour/salary soon as they are asking for volunteers for that.

Being very rural I have little to no chance of getting the virus and already have a stockpile of TP due to MIL obsession with buying on sale so should be ok.

The low mortgage rates have been good for my wallet. Trying to ride this as long as possible. Only store I went to was the gun shop to stock up on supplies. People are getting really crazy around here. All school districts in my county are closed until further notice. The governor might make that statewide. All movie theaters are closed in my county. I think malls might be next. Supermarkets here are running out of meat, poultry, eggs, etc. every day. The cases in my county have been doubling just about every day. I’m not nervous about the virus but I’m nervous about people’s reaction to the closures and possible rations. 

I spoke to my doctor last Friday(yearly Physical). He wasnt super concerned so I didnt think TP would be horded and am now concerned. 

Started a refinance last week. Hope Im still locked in, went up half a point this week. And it no longer makes sense. 

I never work from home and Im now at home next week. 

:::WARNING::: Wordy Wheels posting and partial rant

I am terrified because my mom recovered from Stage 3 breast cancer and had a bunch of lymph nodes removed, so her immune system is compromised. Just getting a regular flu shot knocked her out for a couple of days, and she is 72. 

Nobody knows for sure whether half the population is over or under-reacting and nobody knows for sure what the hell is going on is my take on it. I think the next three weeks will lay it bare. Three weeks ago, Italy had three confirmed cases. Now, it's a public health emergency there stretching their healthcare system to the limit. So if in three weeks, it hasn't gotten much worse here, it probably won't. But if it has ballooned big time to tens of thousands of cases, then we'll know it's a major problem. 

The media are questioning the lack of testing, asking why is it that South Korea can test 10,000 people a day while we have only tested about that same amount in total thus far, but from what I understand, nobody knows the exact answer to that question. South Korea had a system in place from having dealt with the MERS outbreak some years back, and here in the U.S., they could have used the WHO test (World Health Org) but decided to use their own because it more distinguishes between the different types of coronavirus. An expert I was reading said he didn't think this was arrogance on the CDC's part, just the way that bureaucracy happens to work. However, then it turned out that the CDC test was defective, which created a bottleneck, so the problem now is there's no way to fully know the amount of cases in the U.S. at the moment. 

There are also conflicting criticisms, for example some say that there is not enough centralized direction from the federal government on this, while others say that that is precisely the problem, that the state governments and the various private labs can't take action on their own without first going through the CDC and other such agencies, that it is too top-down. For example a lab run by a scientist in Washington state was able to test for the virus but had to get permission from the CDC to do so, who told her no. She waited I think three days, then decided to test anyway, and detected the virus, and now Washington state is one of the epicenters for the virus in the U.S. Yet even after testing and detecting the virus, the CDC still told her to stop testing. 

Governor Cuomo of NY here for example said we don't want to have a "patchwork quilt" of policies across the nation, but then again, why not? Let each state figure it out and the federal government work off of that, IMO, as each state knows its requirements best. Let the lower ranks make independent decisions, if you will. My opinion though. So I don't think anybody knows what the hell they're talking about on it fully. 

I think it is pathetic that they are running short of things like masks and supplies for the public health workers at the hospitals, I mean experts have been warning about a pandemic occurring for years now, but it seems no administration or government we've had has taken a really hard look at such a scenario saying, "Okay, what happens if the SHTF pandemic-wise..." they should have been stockpiling those kinds of things for years IMO. But that is just the government for you, I doubt any president in recent times has really thought about this and with Congressmen and Senators who demand Google executives explain to them why the iPhone has certain features and how exactly Facebook makes money, it doesn't surprise me. Also reminds me of New Orleans, how they had been told for years to build up the levees and never did. 

I have built up a decent amount of supplies though I would suggest while not panicking, people take this seriously, just in case. Don't strip the shelves, but build up supplies now, just in case things really do hit the fan and a mass panic ensues. 

One thing I wonder, all this talk among preppers about keeping gold and silver for the End of the World, maybe one should stock toilet paper for currency :D

We have no school indefinitely, and all bars and restaurants closed.   My work has directed outside reps to cancel and limit most sales calls and report to the office.  At this point, i figure you may as well go all in for a couple of weeks.  This half quarantine half not shit is pointless.    They already cancelled all the fun events I had planned with customers.   Might as well go the distance at this point.  My only hope is this pause will get us through the hump and then, *fingers crossed* the construction fires back up immediately.   

I'm happy to facilitate if people have need or request we can coordinate through the site for help.

We have a large spread network, if anyone needs something feel free to post up a zip code and we can connect other members who might be able to help out.

I hear a nation-wide lock-down is coming in the next 48 hours for the United States. I doubt it'll stop the bleeding, too many people aren't taking the social distancing seriously apparently. 

The governor of NJ put in a curfew from 8pm to 5am but it is only strongly recommended. There were plenty of cars around after 8pm so I think it is going to end up being mandatory. My county is closing all businesses except grocery stores, restaurants are for carry-out or delivery only, pharmacies, gas stations, auto repair shops only if connected to a gas station. I think it will become more strict and that will go state-wide soon, as the state has been following what Bergen county has been doing in regards to restrictions

Belgium has been put on lock-down as of noon today ... they don't call it a lock down, but it effectively is.

All shops are closed, except groceries, pharmacies and pet-food shops ... gas stations also remain open, but everything else closes down. Only one person per 10m² is allowed in the groceries shops and for up to 30 minutes only. No visiting relatives, not even when they are sick, it's not allowed. People aren't even allowed to visit their husband or wife in hospital fighting the Corona virus, even if it's lethal ... no way to say goodbye anymore.

Toilet paper, sanitizing gels and pain medication is sold out just about everywhere, massive lines in front of the groceries stores, and they all have security guards posted outside ... my local pharmacy installed a glass plane to stay behind and they don't take any cash ... only payment by card.

Things have been played down for weeks over here, but over the last few days it's obvious this is going to create massive economical impact.

Stay safe everyone! I know we have a few members from some of the worst hit areas in Lombardy and Emilia Romagna. I hope you are well!

Best wishes to all!

since I am in the travel business, this has hit our resort hard.

We are down to 40% occupancy(that's fine as the less exposed the better).

My main concern is that Mexico is not prepared and appears to be apathetic to the seriousness of the situation.

This is not going to simply go away.

And what's worse, we are coming up on the biggest two weeks of travel for nationals(semana santa and easter).

I want to get the hell out of here before all shit breaks loose. 

On 3/22/2020 at 7:50 AM, topcabron said:

My main concern is that Mexico is not prepared and appears to be apathetic to the seriousness of the situation.

And what's worse, we are coming up on the biggest two weeks of travel for nationals(semana santa and easter).

Some people are definitely not taking it serious enough.

Our local hospital isn't even testing unless you are admitted with serious conditions. And on top of that, they don't have enough masks to protect the nurses and doctors, so when nurses and doctors brought their own in, the hospital reprimanded and wrote them up!

Hospitals in NYC are now getting refrigerated trailers delivered for standby. Nurses and doctors are using trash bags as gowns.

Raj has been showing how hospitals can use a full face scuba mask and a filter on the snorkel. SCG has been developing parts for these masks to accommodate the filter. As bad as NJ is, it seems like the more time that is going by, people are caring less and less. More people are out on the roads and in parks.

Here is some fun food for thought.

The US Senate passes a massive stimulus ($2 trillion dollars). And remarkably after that happens, the model that so many were basing doomsday claims off of to help push the stimulus, revises to not be so bad as originally thought.

https://dailycaller.com/2020/03/26/neil-ferguson-coronavirus-imperial-college-doomsday/

All about them greenbacks...

8 hours ago, Tara said:

Hospitals in NYC are now getting refrigerated trailers delivered for standby. Nurses and doctors are using trash bags as gowns.

Raj has been showing how hospitals can use a full face scuba mask and a filter on the snorkel. SCG has been developing parts for these masks to accommodate the filter. As bad as NJ is, it seems like the more time that is going by, people are caring less and less. More people are out on the roads and in parks.

Dr. Birx is saying it's not as bad...

I like the Docs on the team including Fauci.  Unfortunately, I think our federal government is a bit detached.  Many of my friends and colleagues who are doctors tell a different story.  Although we are not yet making decisions on who gets a vent and who don't, we have a few hospitals that are on the verge of being overwhelmed.  Supplies remain an issue and we aren't even any where near the peak.  They are just ringing the alarm bells so hopefully the rest of us can get better prepared.  Stay safe everyone.

47 minutes ago, DoctaM3 said:

I like the Docs on the team including Fauci.  Unfortunately, I think our federal government is a bit detached.  Many of my friends and colleagues who are doctors tell a different story.  Although we are not yet making decisions on who gets a vent and who don't, we have a few hospitals that are on the verge of being overwhelmed.  Supplies remain an issue and we aren't even any where near the peak.  They are just ringing the alarm bells so hopefully the rest of us can get better prepared.  Stay safe everyone.

Detached is putting it politely :lol2:

Considering they padded this bill with so much pork for non-related items and pet projects, I wouldn't be surprised if it cripples and crashes the system. I suppose that works though in parallel with  speculation I've seen that 45 wants to bring back the gold standard, but I don't think we're that lucky. 

One thing to tell you from the retail mortgage industry, some lenders are putting out stricter guidelines and I just saw one HUGE lender/servicer is completely stopping all new loan applications as of today. Usually when one does something the rest will follow...

1 hour ago, Tara said:

One thing to tell you from the retail mortgage industry, some lenders are putting out stricter guidelines and I just saw one HUGE lender/servicer is completely stopping all new loan applications as of today. Usually when one does something the rest will follow...

download.jpg

On 3/22/2020 at 6:50 AM, topcabron said:

I was in thailand came to vietnam to extend visa. Thailand closed down. Vietnam border is closed but im in a resort town and the only reason its closing up is lack of tourists. OTherwise people still going to the beach and playing volleyball. I think vietnam closing earlier than others helped. Looking for an apartment for at least a month as of now

5 hours ago, Rawr said:

I was in thailand came to vietnam to extend visa. Thailand closed down. Vietnam border is closed but im in a resort town and the only reason its closing up is lack of tourists. OTherwise people still going to the beach and playing volleyball. I think vietnam closing earlier than others helped. Looking for an apartment for at least a month as of now

Finally AMLO told people to stay home. These next two weeks are the biggest national travel weeks.

resorts are literally closed which I have never seen before.

i hope the world comes up with a solution or this is going to keep going around and around