Novel coronavirus (COVID-19, the Virus Formerly Known as Wuhan) Panic Thread!

Destructo

So who here thinks they have an idea of how long this could last? My anxiety is starting to go thru the roof.  I have 4 houses under construction, and while I can still work, 3 contracts fell out and Im left wondering will we have an economy at all in 6 months when they're finished for someone to buy? 

I am a control freak and OCD and like to be in control of everything and this is leaving me with a very high anxiety not knowing anything.  Especially with so much misinformation going around, unrealistic expectations from the president and no one giving any sort of timelines on these safer at home orders.  I just want someone to give some sort of realistic time line. I mean just say "expect this for the next 6-10 week" so I can at least wrap my head around this.  Anyway, back to sitting on the couch, walking the dog and drinking all the alcohol my body can consume.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, MHaynes772 said:

So who here thinks they have an idea of how long this could last? My anxiety is starting to go thru the roof.  I have 4 houses under construction, and while I can still work, 3 contracts fell out and Im left wondering will we have an economy at all in 6 months when they're finished for someone to buy? 

I am a control freak and OCD and like to be in control of everything and this is leaving me with a very high anxiety not knowing anything.  Especially with so much misinformation going around, unrealistic expectations from the president and no one giving any sort of timelines on these safer at home orders.  I just want someone to give some sort of realistic time line. I mean just say "expect this for the next 6-10 week" so I can at least wrap my head around this.  Anyway, back to sitting on the couch, walking the dog and drinking all the alcohol my body can consume.

I agree, the complete lack of a timeline is super frustrating. Anyone who has ever been out of a job for several months can tell you that having no idea when it will end is a thousand times worse than knowing when it will end, even if it seems longer than you'd like.

I was reading an article that said that the government just bypassed businesses' ability to come up with their own social distancing guidelines and other sanitizing measures. We went from complete normalcy one day to full shutdown of public places pretty damn fast with nothing in between. 

Now, you could argue that the shelter in place lockdown might be better overall but at some point we'll have to consider letting businesses provide their methods of dealing with this issue.  

You know what seems to be the issue nobody is talking about? It's that people seem to make a big deal about social distancing on subways, streets, restaurants for takeout but perhaps neglect that maybe people aren't washing their hands enough. Unless you wear gloves you are touching quite a few door handles publicly and even in your apartment building (if you live in one, which is a good chunk of NYC). Then when you go shopping at a convenience store and grab items, you have to assume they could be infected. Did you reach into your wallet to get your credit card or cash? You're "infecting" them. Grab your keys to open the door of your house or car? You're "infecting" them too. 

To protect yourself 100.0% is a huge effort, possibly an impossible effort. 

I've been working from home since the 18th and this has probably been the biggest concern I've had. It's not that I'm overly concerned, but if you asked me to walk around my neighborhood and go into numerous establishments without having to buy anything or open doors, I'd have very very little concern (walking NYC streets in the early '90s was far more adrenaline inducing than this could ever be).

And yet, ALL OF THE CONCERN is predicated on people's proximity to others. 

I spoke to a good friend who used to work for the National Institute of Health (NIH) in Bethesda about 25 years ago. He told me his personal exposure to blood, AIDS and other dangerous viruses were not taken quite as seriously as we are taking Corona right now. Granted the situations are somewhat different, but Fauci never said air exposure was that dangerous except after sneezing/coughing in proximity. 

I dunno, confusing AF. I see both sides and can't resolve it yet. 

BTW, this virus pandemic sheds a whole new perspective on being financially independent. The enlightened people know that owning a business is the way to go for security over being an employee, but yet certain businesses have been told to shut down completely and many have had their cash flows affected severely. 

Yet employees of companies that can work from home, have experienced no real risk, at least not for awhile. Construction workers only have to deal with the physical risks, but still have plenty of work to do. Fortunately for those of us in the construction industry, that continues to go on. 

I don’t believe any sector will go untouched. If someone is not feeling the effect of this now, something tells me they will. The economic impact will be deep, unlike anything we have felt before.

the dominoes will keep falling for months and the band aid that will be distributed will be nothing to the loss that many many people will endure.

fcuk that was bleak to write, but I see no other track

I remain hopeful that the economy will be able to make a quick turnaround. But we'll have to see. At some point, they are going to have to start letting certain businesses operate again, and hope that the virus has died down enough by then that it doesn't re-rear itself, because there is only so long you can keep the economy shut down. 

One thing I have been reading which people should keep in mind is that, just as many didn't take the idea of a pandemic seriously early on and then panicked, now many are making the assumption that things won't get much worse. But people should continue with basic preparedness, because if say another major snowstorm hits a particular area or a hurricane (we are heading into hurricane season) hits somewhere and causes severe damage, well the supply chains are already strained as it is, so things could go really haywire in such a scenario. 

Trump is live right now, he said they're extending the lock down until April 30th. His team of docs think the peak will happen in 2 weeks if current measures are followed.

18 hours ago, MHaynes772 said:

Since you have plenty of time on your hands, read this, it should help. No joke, it's a really good book.

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Now-Guide-Spiritual-Enlightenment/dp/1577314808

Funny, over the weekend, I got an email from a sector the gov't which will remain nameless (but connected to healthcare).  These are career professionals at a high level and the note clearly states that , given the data we have today, they are expecting the PEAK to happen mid-late Summer. Grant it, this could go anywhere depending on so many factors.  As I said before, the next 2 weeks or so will give us a sense as to how long we will be dealing with this. I worry that the cities that said its a coastal thing, or "we are immune" will be the last to get hit and may have higher infection rates (disproportionately) because they failed to contain/isolate early.  They become the pockets for the second wave (which I hope we don't have) but has been a part of most major infections that we have seen in the past.

That said, we have a worldwide push for therapies--vaccines are about a year away. Nothwithstanding what you hear, all the drugs mentioned so far are anecdotal in efficacy--we just don't know.

On 3/29/2020 at 6:38 PM, sl55 said:

Trump is live right now, he said they're extending the lock down until April 30th. His team of docs think the peak will happen in 2 weeks if current measures are followed.

This is not nearly enough. 100% chance this will be revised in the next 2 weeks. The dynamics are beyond the predictions the pols want to make.

Oh god. I hope the peak isnt mid Summer. I doubt the place I work for will be able to last that long, at least in its current form. Hope I am a member of the new form. Im starting week 3 at home. So far still working at an ok rate. 

On a positive note my mortgage payment will be going down, because it appears I was lucky and got the lowest possible rate locked in for my number of years. And I'm not taking cash out, maybe I should. 

obviously take with a grain of salt, but whats this talk about the war over 5g affecting things? (and any other worthwhile conspiracies?)  It dawned on me yesterday that if everyone is sitting at home, all they are doing is consuming bandwith.  netflix lowers streaming quality to keep up.. and here comes 5g.   Obviously I dont want to think corona happened as a malicious plan, just curious to think about why it happened at all.

On 4/1/2020 at 5:22 AM, Rawr said:

obviously take with a grain of salt, but whats this talk about the war over 5g affecting things? (and any other worthwhile conspiracies?)  It dawned on me yesterday that if everyone is sitting at home, all they are doing is consuming bandwith.  netflix lowers streaming quality to keep up.. and here comes 5g.   Obviously I dont want to think corona happened as a malicious plan, just curious to think about why it happened at all.

Honestly, at this point, nothing would f****** surprise me

A lot of diseases it seems come out of the Asian countries for some reason. So probably due to a lack of sanitation in the markets with the huge crowds of people and then whatever natural cause produces such viruses in the first place. 

I just found out a co worker passed from this virus. It’s so frustrating to live in a place that there is such a huge cover up and misinformation. The government is hiding cases and calling the illness pneumonia and not covid.

for what? Sacrifice lives for perception 

There are some wild 5g theories out there. Some say it affects the human DNA, but was nullified with a sequence of magnets to make it safe for use. Now, down the rabbit hole you can go on that one. I won't lay it all out that I've read, (don't necessarily agree with some of it) but there is plenty to find. It all depends on what you're looking for I suppose. 

14 hours ago, WheelsRCool said:

A lot of diseases it seems come out of the Asian countries for some reason. So probably due to a lack of sanitation in the markets with the huge crowds of people and then whatever natural cause produces such viruses in the first place. 

I'd bet population density and oppressive government regimes don't help.

There is some really compelling reading on this specific outbreak being a man-made bio-weapon unleashed as a retaliation for 45's trade initiatives. Do your own research on it obviously, but here is a very interesting article about something i would think is highly suspect.

First Article: Rough Overview Not Making Any Connections

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/fbi-charges-harvard-chemist-two-others-in-chinese-research-cases/2020/01/28/f5e09086-41ee-11ea-b5fc-eefa848cde99_story.html

Second Article: Connects Lieber to Wuhan University

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/fbi-charges-harvard-chemist-two-others-in-chinese-research-cases/2020/01/28/f5e09086-41ee-11ea-b5fc-eefa848cde99_story.html

My Thoughts:

Chemistry and Biology expert at Harvard is on the payroll of the Chinese government (lied to the US government about it) to bring back secrets and work to develop something of a biological agent (to what degree or intended purpose, I don't know). There have been other's caught, one was trying to smuggle biological material (21 vials) back to China, found in second article. So a lot of coincidental events, which lead me to be suspicious. But again, suspicion doesn't prove anything. Just food for thought.

16 hours ago, topcabron said:

I just found out a co worker passed from this virus. It’s so frustrating to live in a place that there is such a huge cover up and misinformation. The government is hiding cases and calling the illness pneumonia and not covid.

for what? Sacrifice lives for perception 

That sucks, sorry to hear that. :( 

Is that the Mexican government you're referencing? I'm sure ours is doing it's fair share of disinformation to keep the masses somewhat pacified. 

51 minutes ago, Destructo said:

That sucks, sorry to hear that. :( 

Is that the Mexican government you're referencing? I'm sure ours is doing it's fair share of disinformation to keep the masses somewhat pacified. 

mexican  government is doing nothing to enforce any stay at home orders.

The resort i work at has shut down and all our resorts are closed. that's 10,000 rooms. other resorts are closed completely.

Yet there are restraunts and bars, retail stores, and other businesses ignoring the stay at home order.

I now know three confirmed deaths from the corona virus here, and the minister of health is still saying zero.

We are not safe as long as the government does nothing to help protect us with valid, relevant real information

1 hour ago, topcabron said:

mexican  government is doing nothing to enforce any stay at home orders.

The resort i work at has shut down and all our resorts are closed. that's 10,000 rooms. other resorts are closed completely.

Yet there are restraunts and bars, retail stores, and other businesses ignoring the stay at home order.

I now know three confirmed deaths from the corona virus here, and the minister of health is still saying zero.

We are not safe as long as the government does nothing to help protect us with valid, relevant real information

Unfortunately most people cannot handle reality. They definitely prefer to hear what they want to hear than the truth. And of course they tend to panic too easily. 

What I've discovered is that bad things actually happening are usually not as bad as thinking they will happen (and then not even happening). 

So for example, being pulled in and laid off from a job stings but is not as stressful as worrying about that possibility for weeks or months. We find ways to deal with stuff in the moment that when looked back in context you often wonder how you dealt with it, but you did. 

If the reality is we'll all be going back to work mid summer and we'll have to continue this life until then, well that sucks, but it's not as annoying as constantly being teased with it being over quicker than it should be. 

Now the only big unknown here is how the economy will deal with a prolonged absence in consumer spending. Today my company let go of a few people that was only necessitated by this situation, only two weeks in. What happens over 2-3 months is anybody's guess...

Here is a very useful tool that I have been using to understand the current state and what is likely to happen. This is constantly being updated but real-time data from credible scientific sources. Forget the spin and the politics--I try to stick to the science as is my training. Bottom-line, the model is designed to show each state, the number of bed, ventilators etc and given the current data, whether each state will overwhelm its existing resources or will they be below those threshold levels.  As unpopular as some the Gavin Newsom moves were, it is likely that Cali will be ok. Many of states, esp. interior ones who have not taken key steps are likely to be in a world of trouble. they are likely to be the source of our "second wave" that is sure to come. There might very well be some herd immunity in early states like NY when the second wave hits.  Anyway, here is the model. Look at your state and see what it predicts. Again, its updated constantly so you can keep checking back to see how things change.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

• 2 weeks later...

Does anything think we are at the peak.   A lot of the charts in the link provided by Doc above show just that.    Do you think May is realistic for opening the economy back up piece by piece?

1 hour ago, Kevin2772 said:

Does anything think we are at the peak.   A lot of the charts in the link provided by Doc above show just that.    Do you think May is realistic for opening the economy back up piece by piece?

Few EU countries including Italy and Spain announced they'll be easing some lockdown restrictions to there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Most of our cases locally (Vancouver) have happen at retirement homes. I think some of our lockdown restrictions will be eased next month but still a long ways for everything to be normal again.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2020 at 12:20 PM, Destructo said:

I'd bet population density and oppressive government regimes don't help.

There is some really compelling reading on this specific outbreak being a man-made bio-weapon unleashed as a retaliation for 45's trade initiatives. Do your own research on it obviously, but here is a very interesting article about something i would think is highly suspect.

Yeah, personally I think the initial outbreak probably wasn't intentional, but when Xi saw what it was going to do to China, he gave the order to make sure it infected everywhere else. The problem with it being purposeful is that it would only be a short-term benefit, because longer-term, it stands to hurt China, as now countries, especially the United States, see the danger of having various supply chains dependent on China, and also it has been shown to the world how China lies and obfuscates. A lot of the equipment China has sent to European countries, at least from what I've read, has been defective and had to be returned. Just seems like a lot to lose longer-term for a short-term attempt to knockout Trump who at most would be president for another four years anyway.

So Ohio is soft opening this week and I can already see the shit show that is about to commence.   Daycare isn't open, but many businesses are trying to get back up and making money so people are going to be asked backed to work with no child care, or actual plans in place for proper opening.      My wifes office randomly called all the front office people and told them they have to come in tomorrow.    Complete shit show.  dont get me wrong, im all for opening up.  But this half in half out shit they are going to push is going to just make everything worse in my eyes.