Pebble Beach 2020 cancelled

sl55

I assume Quail will follow which means car week is cancelled.

Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance has been canceled this year due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

According to its website, the car selection process for the 70th Pebble Beach Concours which was scheduled for Sunday August 16, was recently completed and entrants were notified of their acceptance earlier this month. The acceptance letters stressed that these cars were invited to appear at the 70th celebration even if it was delayed.

“My heart goes out to all of the people who are involved in the Pebble Beach Concours and who are impacted by this decision,” said Concours Chairman Sandra Button. “Many of our entrants have been working on a special car for years, and this was to be their moment. Some of our overseas entrants were nearing the point of putting their cars on boats and planes, and their own travel arrangements have long been made. The same is true for many of our international cadre of judges.”

With the cancellation of this years event, the 70th Pebble Beach Concours will now take place on Sunday, August 15, 2021.

All tickets purchased to date for the 70th Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance will be valid for the event on Sunday August 15, 2021. Ticket purchasers who cannot attend the new date can request a refund by emailing info@pebblebeachconcours.net.

Figured this was coming. It’s such a huge international event that given where things are, I could just not see a scenario where they could risk a huge cluster traced to their event.  Reputationally, it would be a disaster. There was also a question of turnout so maybe it’s for the better. Personally, I’m bummed. This is the one automotive event I look forward to attending every year (this would have been my 10th). It will be ok—2021 is going to be that more special. 

PS Maybe this will also reset some of the foolish shenanigans from the last 2 years. I can only hope.