1800+ miles for break in? WTF?

JohnLP560

I've owned many high end exotics in the past and never seen a break in this long. 

How many of you guys actually followed the break in process for this car? 

On 4/24/2020 at 11:39 AM, JohnLP560 said:

I've owned many high end exotics in the past and never seen a break in this long. 

How many of you guys actually followed the break in process for this car? 

That's pretty obnoxious. Do they recommend varying RPM'S when driving and not exceeding certain revs or using cruise control? I've seen all that on other vehicles, 

• 2 weeks later...

I thought most modern cars were already "pre-broken in" because most people won't follow direction

I once asked Balboni about this on modern Lambos, he said just get it warm and drive......

I have done both following it to the letter and just making sure nothing fell off for the first 100 or so miles and then using normally.  No noticeable difference in it or future reliability that i have noticed, however the new cars seem to have much less Engine drag than the old ones (the drag) which disappeared after the brake in period. The new ones just feel ready to go straight away. 

I would just use it or you waste a lot of time and miles not enjoying it. That said I wouldn’t go max attack for prolonged periods untill every thing has bedded in but thats as much brakes, suspension, tyres etc as engine. Would also get the oil changed before any more extreme use but that would be hard on the road and i dont mean just hitting redline for a blast but repetitive and maintained high rpm. I suspect the filters are now so good and engin machining so advanced its fine but for minimal cost i would still do it. 

Obviously just my thoughts and I'm not in any way an expert or engineer

• 2 months later...

With machine tolerances the way they are today there's no need for the traditional break-in of yesteryear.

• 5 months later...