Oil temp

Allan-Herbie

Whats normal oil temp for everyone? Ive been noticing my car runs just barely under the red . Is that normal?  Im in AZ so temps are hot.  Also, whats everyones recommendation on oil for hot AZ weather. 

Depends on your oil pressure, but I would run rotella t6 in the heat which is 15w40. Once the oil gets hot its pretty much same viscosity anyways. You cam run a heavier oil if your oil pressure is getting too low, but I doubt it’s going below 2bar at idle. 
I added an oil cooler fan to my oil cooler to keep oil temps down. Worked like a champ. I don’t recall how hot it is near the red, but it’s nice to stay under 245f oil temps. Hotter than that is tuff on bearings. But I run like 300f oil temps in my race car all the time... however the engines don’t last too long at that. Haha 

Well, the problem seems to be a sticking gauge or the temp sensor is bad.   Found the gauge sitting like this after a week of the car sitting.  

106602479_2463988657077995_195578751789694308_o.jpg

You might be able to get the oil temp reading with a Bluetooth OBD II reader and see if it's the gauge or sensor that has a problem. Guessing gage since it should reset when the car is powered off.

4 hours ago, sprite said:

You might be able to get the oil temp reading with a Bluetooth OBD II reader and see if it's the gauge or sensor that has a problem. Guessing gage since it should reset when the car is powered off.

Does anyone know anyone who rebuilds guages?

4 hours ago, Allan-Herbie said:

Does anyone know anyone who rebuilds guages?

Have Alex build you an all digital one, they've been doing some awesome ones for the GT-R's! 

3 hours ago, Destructo said:

Have Alex build you an all digital one, they've been doing some awesome ones for the GT-R's! 

This is not a Nissan Sentra.