Biggest/Most Popular Vintage watches in their day

BLK85

I was thinking about this the other day. What is a vintage or past model of a watch that was the watch of the day? Like the AP ROO is very popular today. What was the AP to get in say 1950(for example)? Im curious about all brands with long history's. What about Pocket Watches when they were big? 

7 hours ago, Rawr said:

weed is a hell of a drug.

Ill go with rolex daytona

:lol2: :lol2:

I've never been a bit watch guy, it blew my mind that people could spend what you could get a Lamborghini for on a wrist-watch. I get the appreciation and craftsmanship involved, it's just not my cup of tea. I'm more likely to break it when working so figured to never go very expensive haha! 

2 hours ago, Destructo said:

:lol2: :lol2:

I've never been a bit watch guy, it blew my mind that people could spend what you could get a Lamborghini for on a wrist-watch. I get the appreciation and craftsmanship involved, it's just not my cup of tea. I'm more likely to break it when working so figured to never go very expensive haha! 

Shit, you could have a Bugatti Veyron on your wrist.  I did not realize Jacob and Co makes some very expensive watches. Some of those are very complex. 

This thread did not go where I hoped it would. Where did everyone go? 

• 4 months later...

Not too many members left on this forum and most of the watch aficionado's are gone.

Your question may be a bit broad to answer.  Brands like Rolex & lambda lambda lambda and the omega mu have been and likely will continue to be popular choices.  As would the holy trinity: PP, VC & AP but not too many would be so esoteric to go for the later 3 brands unless they are hardcore watch collectors.  Cartier was the celebrities' choice.

In the 1950's, the preferred style was simple, elegant design in yellow gold in small casing.  So think lambda lambda lambda and the omega mu Seamaster, Universal Geneve, Bulova and Rolex Explorer (1st gen, is SS only).   VC likely had the best choices on small, simple and elegant models for the top end choices.  Then there were the "functional" watches.  Released in 1954, the Rolex Submariner gained some recognition but it really didn't take off until late 50's early 60's.  Breitling also released the Navitimer in the early 50's.  that was considered cool as one was basically wearing a slide rule on one's wrist.  Breitling also made the SuperOcean and the TransOcean in the 50's.   All Breitling's were considered more of a professional instruments than timepieces though.