An Interesting Perspective on the McLaren Senna

Destructo

This is a interesting first, (that I have seen).

In short, Automobile Magazine was tapped by McLaren to "build" a Senna for its press car fleet. Automobile didn't pay for the car, but they did get to go through the building process of choosing options (with guidance and "help" from McLaren) the options.

It's an interesting read if you didn't get your Senna.

The drive reports thus far aren't wholly objective, but I'm guessing that comes with the "understanding" of being able to use a 1.1MM car and "build to spec" without spending any money.

Link:

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/2019-mclaren-senna-ordering-experience/

Outside of ordering the Senna and not having to pay for it, I'm sure the car is spectacular to drive what ever the circumstance. Styling aside(I love it but that's personal taste as some don't)the mechanics and aero cannot ignored as one of the best track cars that you can street and vice versa.  I can only drive the predecessor to the senna, and think a lot of technology went from learning from my car went into the Senna.

Performance wise, GREAT car. Look, well as you said TopCarbon, many don't see it and I am one of those. Their bespoke process is pretty cool but I wish the service and reliability, even on their halo cars was better. We all know the stories. I'd love to build one with Mclaren's money and get to use it for a year. Sign me up!

On 8/12/2020 at 10:32 AM, topcabron said:

Outside of ordering the Senna and not having to pay for it, I'm sure the car is spectacular to drive what ever the circumstance. Styling aside(I love it but that's personal taste as some don't)the mechanics and aero cannot ignored as one of the best track cars that you can street and vice versa.  I can only drive the predecessor to the senna, and think a lot of technology went from learning from my car went into the Senna.

I think it's an incredible example of function from McLaren, with some McLaren styling. Personally there are McLaren cars that a big hit for me looks wise. Example, love the 600LT and 720S, but dislike the Boattail or the MP4-12C. The Senna, is a mixed bag. I like things about it very much so, like the windows in the lower portion of the doors. But for me the sum of the parts isn't my palette. Incredible performer though, can't deny that! 

3 hours ago, DoctaM3 said:

Performance wise, GREAT car. Look, well as you said TopCarbon, many don't see it and I am one of those. Their bespoke process is pretty cool but I wish the service and reliability, even on their halo cars was better. We all know the stories. I'd love to build one with Mclaren's money and get to use it for a year. Sign me up!

I'd hope that anytime someone is dropping seven figures on a car they would get great bespoke service. And you're right, the Senna, which has a sorted history as a car is a blemish to the namesake it was named after. I wish they would have called it something else.