Aventador start trouble

Niko's Car

Recently started to get some trouble starting my 2013 LP 700. It starts fine, I go for a drive, stop/park, but then when i try to start it, nothing happen. Ignition comes on, but when i try to initiate start nothing happens. Give the car 25-30 minutes, and it starts up, so start to wonder if its a heat related problem? Its been extremely hot (100 Degrees +) here in Houston lately, though oil and water temp is fine.

Only "unormal" thing I can see, when I try to start it the oil pressure symbol, kind of switches between red/white... Any sensors on oil pump that could be going south?

Could it be battery? Still on my original battery, but good readings on it..

Did 30 minutes wait time on Buccees yesterday :), so definitively something that needs to be fixed up

Appreciate any thoughts

Brdgs Andre

Could be the sensor in the brake pedal you have to depress to be able to start, i had a Vacuum problem with it many years ago basically when Left for a bit it wouldn’t allow you to depress the pedal enouggh easily to start the car, ignition came on but it seemed dead. Try pushing extra hard on brake to start. 

Thank you for the feedback. Not too far fetched, often if it doesnt start on the very first attempt the brake pedal get very very hard. How did you resolve it? Possible to replace the sensor yourself, or have to take it in :(  

On 9/4/2020 at 9:19 PM, Niko's Car said:

Thank you for the feedback. Not too far fetched, often if it doesnt start on the very first attempt the brake pedal get very very hard. How did you resolve it? Possible to replace the sensor yourself, or have to take it in :(  

Didn't, sold the car so can’t advise

• 1 month later...

I just bought mine last week and I had the same exact issue happen to me today. I got it to start after a couple stressful minutes and can't seem to replicate the issue now. 

Something I also noticed, when you are starting the car for the first time, you will hear the egear pump priming the system.  You want to let the complete before you push the start button. Also, in some instances, you might need to push and hold the start button until the fires up.  Some small quirks of the Aventador.  Hope that helps.

• 1 year later...

Your issue is that when heat soak your starter solenoid get stuck, solution for this is to remove starter from vehicle, remove solenoid from housing,(the one with the black connector)

take a fine emery paper/sand paper and smoothen out the solenoid surfaces that move in the cylinder , also smoothen out the internal housing of 

the cylinder in which it sits in, apply a high temperature grease such as Molykote 1000 to the surfaces of cylinder and piston and reinstall back, this should help your issue.

There was a service campaign for this a while back but this only helps for a while. This issue only occurs with very high ambient temperature and after switching off engine

resulting in heat soak, normally happens after you go and stop for fuel or switch off engine for a while , will normally not happen with external temperature is below 30 degrees C.

• 5 weeks later...

I had this same issue in a 2016. It was annoying at best and embarrassing at worst. Sporadic, but more likely to happen after it sat for 30+ minutes rather than a quick stop at a gas station. I’d dread if there was a crowd around waiting for me to start the car up. I put off taking it into the dealer for repair because it wasn’t consistently reproducible. An engine light finally came on and I had them address both issues. Was told a solenoid, sensor and software update… as I had a couple things going on for repair, I can’t recall if the fix specifically for the startup issue involved more than the solenoid. 

Prior to repair, DoctaM3’s tip about holding the start button did actually work some of the time. I also found that a sequence of shutting off the car, locking door, wait 2 min and then going back through the motions of unlock and start had some success as well.