Gallardo Fuel / Stalling issues

sds130

Hello, I am having issues with my 2008 Gallardo Spyder that I cannot seem to find a solution for.  95% of the time it runs perfect.  However, if I run it for a while (30 min), typically when it is hot and humid, the car starts acting up.  Usually it happens if I make a stop, turn the engine off, and turn it back on again.  If I don't make a stop it often does not happen regardless of the length of the drive.

Typically, I will be cruising along, go to put my foot on the gas and get nothing.  After a few seconds it will lunge forward.  When I slow down, the revs go down significantly and the car will stall.  The left side of the engine is shut down and eventually the car stalls out.  Up until this weekend, it would always start right back up, but still have issues.  I have tried replacing the throttle bodies, pedal potentiometer, charcoal canister, left side fuel pump, had the ECU reflashed, nothing made a difference.

One thing that does work, and I cannot make sense of it, is getting gas.  It doesn't matter how much fuel is in the car, adding gas will (temporarily) solve the problem.  If I drive another 30 minutes the problem returns.  Of course, if I let it sit long enough to cool down (typically overnight), it also temporarily solves the issue.  This past weekend, it stalled and for the first time would not start back up.  The engine was not getting fuel (we verified this by spraying brake cleaner into the intake).  We put 4 gallons in the car from a gas tank and it fired right up.  It wasn't operating perfectly, but it went from not starting to starting by adding gas.  I believe had I taken it to a gas station and filled it up it would have run fine.

Any idea what could possibly be going on that would be cured simply by adding gas????  Temperature change?  Stirring something up?

It is not the fuel gauge, this has happened when I had anywhere from when I had the gas light on to 3/4 of a tank.

One other small detail that I am not sure how relevant it is - when the car was acting up and not moving with my foot on the gas, if I shifted to reverse and then back to first it would regain power for about a mile.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Keep in mind the adding gas situation - this has solved the problem at least 20 times.  I can't think of what this simple step would do to change the situation (I've taken the cap off and put back on but that did nothing, it was adding the gas itself).

Have you replaced the fuel filter? What kind of fuel are you running through it? The higher temps lead me to think an increase in moisture and condensation is getting past the filter, and causing havoc. Not entirely positive, but i'd check that and maybe look at getting the injectors cleaned out and seeing if that helps.

On 8/31/2020 at 11:04 PM, Destructo said:

Have you replaced the fuel filter? What kind of fuel are you running through it? The higher temps lead me to think an increase in moisture and condensation is getting past the filter, and causing havoc. Not entirely positive, but i'd check that and maybe look at getting the injectors cleaned out and seeing if that helps.

I replaced them a couple years ago........regardless, I am not sure that adding some gas to the car would solve an injector problem.   I'm trying to figure out what about adding gas would cause the issue to go away.

• 5 months later...