Removing Stock Kenwood from LP640 - Have you done it?

Jeff DiBart

Hi all! It's my first post here!

I have a 2008 LP640 in Grigio Antares with e-Gear. I want to upgrade the stock Kenwood double-DIN stereo to a new Kenwood with CarPlay, bluetooth, etc.

I thought it would be a breeze -- use the two removal keys that came with the new Kenwood, stick 'em in the slots, the old Kenwood slides out. However, as far as I can tell, the slots for the DIN tool are covered by the carbon fiber surround (the part that above has the climate control buttons in it, etc). Is this right? because it looks to me that in order to get that trim off, I need to remove the carbon fiber from the top of the tunnel (where the windows, nose lift, etc. buttons are), then remove the passenger grab handle, then try to remove the screws holding the stereo trim piece, and THEN remove the stereo.

Am I a spaz or is there an easier way? Can the kenwood DIN key tools actually fit in without removing the trim? Please help! Thanks everyone!

-Jeff

Its not hard to remove the carbon around the radio. Use a hook tool on the base of the carbon pice around the radio. I has clips that hold it in place. All you have to do is pull with the hook towards the back of the car and it pops out, there is a clip on both sides. You do not need to remove the carbon on center consol that has the window switches. I would cover it with a rag to protec it. you will unplug the a/c controls to get it out of the way. When the radio slides out you will need to place it on the rag to deal with the plugs.

Thanks, Jeff. So you're saying on this piece (see image) those are just clips that snap into the center console frame? I somehow thought they were screwed in from the back. How hard do I need to yank (I am so afraid of busting the carbon fiber)?

carbon.jpg