Huracán STO

Luckydaff

On 12/5/2020 at 11:57 PM, sl55 said:

Placed my order today, going black with red accents. Looking at July delivery.

Congrats!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, djt77 said:

Maybe a silly question but with all the talk of how good the ALA system is, how comes it not on this car? 

In the words of Lamborghini's Chief Technical Officer, Maurizio Reggiani: it was hotly debated at the initial development of the STO, but since the GT3 racing forbids active-aero, we had decided to follow that rule and applied adjustable-aero instead.

15 hours ago, VCR said:

Congrats!

Thanks Al, hopefully next summer we can get together and I can see your SVJ63.

On 12/7/2020 at 9:13 PM, VCR said:

In the words of Lamborghini's Chief Technical Officer, Maurizio Reggiani: it was hotly debated at the initial development of the STO, but since the GT3 racing forbids active-aero, we had decided to follow that rule and applied adjustable-aero instead.

I think ALA is just marketing BS if you ask me.  I think if it were so effective, you would be seeing the other major brands jumping all over it.  

4 hours ago, Unotaz said:

I think ALA is just marketing BS if you ask me.  I think if it were so effective, you would be seeing the other major brands jumping all over it.  

I somewhat agree.  I don’t think it’s total marketing BS; both Bugatti & Pagani use active aero; but there has to be more than just ALA that’s involved.  A few Lambo techs from both Asia & North America think the same.

8 hours ago, Unotaz said:

At very high cornering speeds it probably has some use, but for any road user I too believe it does nothing and have found no discernible difference 

It's pattened by Lamborghini, other brands would need to pay for the use of it. It's similar with Forged Composites/Forged carbon fiber that Lamborghini pioneered, you don't see McLaren or Ferrari brag about it, since Lamborghini has also pattened it. However, in McLaren's and Aston Martin's case they still use it. 

ALA isn't purely a marketing gimmick. Hydraulics actually add weight when compared to the minimalistic ALA system. It does the job just as well as those say active wings and flaps. BUT those hydraulic wings and etc. also work better at lower speeds when compared to ALA. You need speed in order for it to actually work. 

On 12/6/2020 at 2:57 AM, sl55 said:

Placed my order today, going black with red accents. Looking at July delivery.

Wow--that was fast. I thought they weren't going to get built until 3rd maybe 4th quarter of 2021.  Anyone else get a Summer 2021 ETA?

7 hours ago, APB said:

It's pattened by Lamborghini, other brands would need to pay for the use of it. It's similar with Forged Composites/Forged carbon fiber that Lamborghini pioneered, you don't see McLaren or Ferrari brag about it, since Lamborghini has also pattened it. However, in McLaren's and Aston Martin's case they still use it. 

ALA isn't purely a marketing gimmick. Hydraulics actually add weight when compared to the minimalistic ALA system. It does the job just as well as those say active wings and flaps. BUT those hydraulic wings and etc. also work better at lower speeds when compared to ALA. You need speed in order for it to actually work. 

I agree. I can also tell you that beyond the track, in canyon runs etc, you can tell the effect of ALA. Having run the same segments of road in the LP610 coupe, LP610 Spyder and the Performante, I am convinced ALA is NOT marketing BS. That said, what most people do with the cars in city driving, you are not likely to see any effect--so in those instances, yes but that is not how or what the system was designed for. I agree with APB.

40 minutes ago, DoctaM3 said:

Wow--that was fast. I thought they weren't going to get built until 3rd maybe 4th quarter of 2021.  Anyone else get a Summer 2021 ETA?

Market intro cars arrive in May, first customer cars arrive in July. Most STO's will be MY22, MY21 are mostly non-AdP cars. My production month as of today is June.

1.jpg

That is awesome Congrats!  I hope I get my SVJ before all these STO's show up. It has been a long journey with so many twists, including a big one recently but I am happy and still on-board.  Project Khaos lives.

On 12/10/2020 at 4:28 PM, DoctaM3 said:

I agree. I can also tell you that beyond the track, in canyon runs etc, you can tell the effect of ALA. Having run the same segments of road in the LP610 coupe, LP610 Spyder and the Performante, I am convinced ALA is NOT marketing BS. That said, what most people do with the cars in city driving, you are not likely to see any effect--so in those instances, yes but that is not how or what the system was designed for. I agree with APB.

DoctaM3, I just want to let you know that I'm not singling you out but just using your post as my response to other posters on this thread as well. 

Many years ago, I was an engineer by trade, worked at Multimatic and Delphi for a few years before giving up engineering and going into the other direction.  

Ok, let's get the math out of the way first.  Downforce = 0.5*W (width of the wing) * H (thickness of the wing) * F (coefficient) * Speed squared. 

So as you can see, downforce is dependent on speed.  Using the Huracan Performante as an example, Lamborghini claims that the Performante produces 350kg (770lbs) of downforce at 300km/h (186mph).  Using quick math, we find out the constant (W*H*F = 0.00777778).  

From this, the downforce produced by the Performante at 160km/h (100mph) is roughly 100kg (220lbs).  

I'm using 100mph, because you said you could feel the difference on the canyons, and I think for most people, taking corners on the canyon at about 100mph is pretty much as fast as anyone would go.  I'm not talking about straight lines, but taking corners at 100mph. 

So at 100mph, your Performante is producing 220lbs of downforce.  Now, so that there is no confusion for everybody here, 220lbs of downforce is the TOTAL downforce.  So you need to split the downforce between the front and the back of the car.  

I don't have the exact split of the downforce, since Lamborghini doesn't provide that info publicly, but I would assume that this is somewhere in the range of 35:65 split between the front and the back.  So now, your 220 is split between 77lbs (front) and 143lbs (back).  

The ALA technology by Lamborghini claims that it can split the downforce between the right and left side of the car.  But what that means in reality is that it can only REDUCE (remove downforce) the downforce on one side of the car over the other to help with rotation.  So on the canyons, by reducing 38.5lbs (it's 77 divided by 2) on the inside front wheel, how much faster can you take that corner?  

My thoughts exactly.....

So the performance difference that you experienced is NOT from the ALA, but rather, you are experiencing the hours of engineering development of the suspension/tire technology on the Performante over the regular Huracans, not the 38.5lbs of downforce that Lambo removed for you to help you with rotation. 

I have spoken at length with Porsche engineers in Weissach about the ALA system and they concluded that in order for the ALA to be effective, the car needs to generate at least 1200kg of downforce at top speed and taking corners at 160+mph.  Is there any race track in the world where you take corners at 160mph+ ? 

This is why Porsche doesn't use systems similar to ALA and this is why Pagani had to add a big ass wing to the Hyuara BC later on because their original active aeros doesn't do squat.  I'm guessing STO didn't use the ALA for the same reasons as well. 

P.S. I placed my order on the STO as well.  I'm excited to see it and read the reviews on the STO as they become available.  This is the first Lambo with the ethos of less is more. 

On 12/14/2020 at 6:01 PM, Unotaz said:

DoctaM3, I just want to let you know that I'm not singling you out but just using your post as my response to other posters on this thread as well. 

Many years ago, I was an engineer by trade, worked at Multimatic and Delphi for a few years before giving up engineering and going into the other direction.  

Ok, let's get the math out of the way first.  Downforce = 0.5*W (width of the wing) * H (thickness of the wing) * F (coefficient) * Speed squared. 

So as you can see, downforce is dependent on speed.  Using the Huracan Performante as an example, Lamborghini claims that the Performante produces 350kg (770lbs) of downforce at 300km/h (186mph).  Using quick math, we find out the constant (W*H*F = 0.00777778).  

From this, the downforce produced by the Performante at 160km/h (100mph) is roughly 100kg (220lbs).  

I'm using 100mph, because you said you could feel the difference on the canyons, and I think for most people, taking corners on the canyon at about 100mph is pretty much as fast as anyone would go.  I'm not talking about straight lines, but taking corners at 100mph. 

So at 100mph, your Performante is producing 220lbs of downforce.  Now, so that there is no confusion for everybody here, 220lbs of downforce is the TOTAL downforce.  So you need to split the downforce between the front and the back of the car.  

I don't have the exact split of the downforce, since Lamborghini doesn't provide that info publicly, but I would assume that this is somewhere in the range of 35:65 split between the front and the back.  So now, your 220 is split between 77lbs (front) and 143lbs (back).  

The ALA technology by Lamborghini claims that it can split the downforce between the right and left side of the car.  But what that means in reality is that it can only REDUCE (remove downforce) the downforce on one side of the car over the other to help with rotation.  So on the canyons, by reducing 38.5lbs (it's 77 divided by 2) on the inside front wheel, how much faster can you take that corner?  

My thoughts exactly.....

So the performance difference that you experienced is NOT from the ALA, but rather, you are experiencing the hours of engineering development of the suspension/tire technology on the Performante over the regular Huracans, not the 38.5lbs of downforce that Lambo removed for you to help you with rotation. 

I have spoken at length with Porsche engineers in Weissach about the ALA system and they concluded that in order for the ALA to be effective, the car needs to generate at least 1200kg of downforce at top speed and taking corners at 160+mph.  Is there any race track in the world where you take corners at 160mph+ ? 

This is why Porsche doesn't use systems similar to ALA and this is why Pagani had to add a big ass wing to the Hyuara BC later on because their original active aeros doesn't do squat.  I'm guessing STO didn't use the ALA for the same reasons as well. 

P.S. I placed my order on the STO as well.  I'm excited to see it and read the reviews on the STO as they become available.  This is the first Lambo with the ethos of less is more. 

I love reading stuff like this! Thanks for sharing.

Corners at 160+? I'd think Daytona, but to hedge your whole active aero system for one track, one paper, seems....stupid? :lol2: 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/14/2020 at 6:01 PM, Unotaz said:

My thoughts exactly.....

I always wondered how the Performante and SV(J) can be so fast at the Nurburgring and not much faster (if at all) than the competition at other tracks. 

Figured it was the ALA system adding incremental touches throughout a 13 mile track, that over several minutes would be notable.

What the Porsche engineers said is most certainly true, and I wouldn't doubt them. But I believe they were talking about the perspective of instantaneous cornering grip versus what it could do over a long period of time. 

And with that, Nurburgring lap times, as cool as they are, aren't the best indicator of real world performance (except at that track of course). 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2021 at 2:48 PM, Smash Boy said:

I always wondered how the Performante and SV(J) can be so fast at the Nurburgring and not much faster (if at all) than the competition at other tracks. 

Figured it was the ALA system adding incremental touches throughout a 13 mile track, that over several minutes would be notable.

What the Porsche engineers said is most certainly true, and I wouldn't doubt them. But I believe they were talking about the perspective of instantaneous cornering grip versus what it could do over a long period of time. 

And with that, Nurburgring lap times, as cool as they are, aren't the best indicator of real world performance (except at that track of course). 

To be fair, only the SVJ is a dog on most tracks around the world, except the Ring.  The Performante is actually very good across most tracks around the world. 

On 4/30/2021 at 11:32 AM, Unotaz said:

To be fair, only the SVJ is a dog on most tracks around the world, except the Ring.  The Performante is actually very good across most tracks around the world. 

I agree with you on the Performante. On track, its a weapon and just a blast.  Equally as fun are canyon runs in the Perf.  I love the Aventador, even SVJ even more, but it is a more difficult car to drive and to handle in the canyons--but maybe more fun (rewarding) when you are finished. I still walk away going "wow." It all about what  & how you use them. I smile with either one.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2021 at 7:44 AM, DoctaM3 said:

I agree with you on the Performante. On track, its a weapon and just a blast.  Equally as fun are canyon runs in the Perf.  I love the Aventador, even SVJ even more, but it is a more difficult car to drive and to handle in the canyons--but maybe more fun (rewarding) when you are finished. I still walk away going "wow." It all about what  & how you use them. I smile with either one.

Hard not to smile at the pieces you've acquired though! You've got good taste in cars! ;)