Aventador vs Aventador SV depreciation  

augustine

I've been watching the Aventador market and I'm trying to decide if purchasing an Aventador SV would help insulate against depreciation.  I've seen higher mileage Aventadors listed for as low as $205,000, and it looks like a SV is roughly an extra $100,000 premium.

I also found this interesting depreciation chart:
https://caredge.com/lamborghini/aventador/depreciation?fbclid=IwAR20A8j-scso-bDXV7wvyXTRNLGvEZoXJgj-kCv23b4AFw_mfcJjYt-tQBM

The Aventador's replacement is rumored to be released soon.  Based on this:

1. Should I expect to see a glut of Aventadors on the market when the Aventador replacement is officially announced?  If so, am I likely to see Aventador prices drop even more?

2. Is the Aventador SV special enough that it will become more collectable than a standard Aventador, therefore more likely to hold its value or even appreciate in the next 3-4 years?  

3. Do you think standard Aventador prices will appreciate in the next 3-4 years?

I understand the Ferrari market fairly well. but looking for some opinions on the Aventador.  

Lots to speculate. If you are going to be analytical, look at this guy's videos.  I can say a few things based on historical controls. You #3 is not likely to happen. I just don't see an LP 700 or LP740 for that matter appreciating in 3 years. I expect the Aventador will approach the bottom of its depreciation curve but they have build so many more than the Murcielago, who knows where they will end up. As for SV, the roadsters seems to be holding their own much better than the coupe. Special editions were removed from the graph to help clean up the analysis.

Take the emotion out of it for now and look at this.

59 minutes ago, DoctaM3 said:

Lots to speculate. If you are going to be analytical, look at this guy's videos.  I can say a few things based on historical controls. You #3 is not likely to happen. I just don't see an LP 700 or LP740 for that matter appreciating in 3 years. I expect the Aventador will approach the bottom of its depreciation curve but they have build so many more than the Murcielago, who knows where they will end up. As for SV, the roadsters seems to be holding their own much better than the coupe. Special editions were removed from the graph to help clean up the analysis.

Take the emotion out of it for now and look at this.

Great feedback and analysis video.

Between Lamborghini doing a better job than Ferrari marketing to a younger demographic who are more likely to want the latest model, and having good lease options, I think more Aventadors will be dumped on the market sometime after an official Aventador replacement is announced.  Some models will probably retain values better than others, but as the market absorbs that glut, that will likely be about the time most Aventador prices bottom-out.

11 hours ago, Allan-Herbie said:

I dont see any of these cars appreciating .   Buy what you like. 

This is the guiding light. Buy it. Enjoy it. Anyone who buys cars for investment, unless you are dealing with some halo cars (and even then, that strategy can be fraught with risk--just look at the P1)  is chasing Fool's gold. Don't do it. If you can't handle depreciation, don't get in the water. Stay on the shores.

I  don't believe people will be fire selling as you didn't see Murcielagos being "dumped" en masse when the Aventador came out. 

2012's will always be the least desirable. SV's will always be strongest but to actually appreciate anytime soon? I highly doubt it. The oldest cars are going to be at the tail end of depreciation curve, but  how much more they have to go is anybody's guess. That said, I don't believe these will ever be 5-figure cars. 

I agree with DoctaM3: if depreciation is a concern, I would advise against a purchase.

Honestly none of these are going to appreciate - there were just too many made and not different enough even in the limited variations to matter. The perfect example of this is one of the rarest versions of the Aventador (and arguably one of the most beautiful) - the 50th. So few cars ended up here in the US but the prices on them are around 60% of what they were new. There was one at Mecum with only 100 miles that still saw that discount just a few months ago. That said - the rarer cars ARE buys now that they have pretty much hit a floor in terms of depreciation - I think you can buy and drive them with very little more to lose as the cars below it insulate the price.

There are a few potentially cool final editions coming out before the V12 replacement. Will be really interesting to see how far they go in utilizing this platform with so many people anxious for the next one. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/8/2021 at 11:47 AM, Luxeous said:

Honestly none of these are going to appreciate - there were just too many made and not different enough even in the limited variations to matter. The perfect example of this is one of the rarest versions of the Aventador (and arguably one of the most beautiful) - the 50th. So few cars ended up here in the US but the prices on them are around 60% of what they were new. There was one at Mecum with only 100 miles that still saw that discount just a few months ago. That said - the rarer cars ARE buys now that they have pretty much hit a floor in terms of depreciation - I think you can buy and drive them with very little more to lose as the cars below it insulate the price.

There are a few potentially cool final editions coming out before the V12 replacement. Will be really interesting to see how far they go in utilizing this platform with so many people anxious for the next one. 

But don't you think it is too soon to make the call. I recall all the anniversary cars depreciating like most cars do, then in time they do their thing. The 50th is 6 years old. I don't know of any Lambo that make a turnaround in value in that short a period of time. The story on the 50th has not been written. As an owner, I am not looking at that--I bought the car to enjoy it (hell, I have done rallies in it) and I agree, it is still one of the most beautiful of the bunch.  Bottom line, buy it enjoy it. Don't count on appreciation for any of these cars.