2008 and 2009 LP640 Roadster coolant line in front of motor...

x98boardwell

I know this has been a concern for many and I've seen numerous videos on  changing this hose but have a couple of questions.  

1) The hose on my (08') and my buddies (09') roadsters seem to have a lot more heat shielding (almost the length of the hose) than what I've seen in the videos.  Did the later models or maybe just the roadsters have more heat shielding wrapped around the hose by chance and is needing to change still an immediate need if factory original is still present?  

2) Was there any change in the quality of the hose on these years as compared with older or just more shielding? 

3) Can it be done with motor in the car?  My car had a recent engine out service to do the starter (with previous owner) but no mention of the hose being replaced or recommended on the paperwork.  It also seems on the Roadsters there is a touch more visibility to the hose than on the coupes. 

Thanks for any help!! Just planning for the future and wanted to get these questions answered. 

Lambo arrival.jpg

It's definitely a job you can do with the engine in, and most are done that way because, unfortunately, not many Murci owners change the hoses proactively because they think low miles means the hoses will last longer (not really true), so they are often repairing just the hose as opposed to doing the work when the engine is out for other tasks.

All the hoses are getting old on all the Murci's at this point, so I changed every coolant hose in the engine bay recently. They are all accessible with the engine in the car. To do all the hoses, I did remove the exhaust, the right airbox, the engine decorative panels, and the thermostat housing.

Where is the thread on this? My 08 coupe currently has it's engine out. Is this hose something that should be replaced?

56 minutes ago, sprite said:

Where is the thread on this? My 08 coupe currently has it's engine out. Is this hose something that should be replaced?

Do all the hoses with the engine out. It's a tiny price to pay to prevent an overheated V12 and being stuck embarrassingly on the side of the road with coolant everywhere.

Shocking that mechanics wouldn't recommend replacing the rubber bits on a 13 year old car while the engine is already out. Lots of other things little to do when the engine out.

46 minutes ago, Stimpy said:

Do all the hoses with the engine out. It's a tiny price to pay to prevent an overheated V12 and being stuck embarrassingly on the side of the road with coolant everywhere.

Shocking that mechanics wouldn't recommend replacing the rubber bits on a 13 year old car while the engine is already out. Lots of other things little to do when the engine out.

Thanks. I already told them to replace any hoses/worn items but will forward this to make 100 percent sure they replace this one.

The LP 640 came with a heat shield on hose. Good to add to older cars when hose replaced. I always replaced that hose when I pulled engines. Some times you need to make the hose a bit shorter. You want aleast 1 inch of clearence between hose & exhaust. There was a update to make the change on LP 640.

Note while the book calls for engine to come out for starter it can be replaced with engine in. Not that hard with engine in.

43 minutes ago, jefflambo said:

The LP 640 came with a heat shield on hose. Good to add to older cars when hose replaced. I always replaced that hose when I pulled engines. Some times you need to make the hose a bit shorter. You want aleast 1 inch of clearence between hose & exhaust. There was a update to make the change on LP 640.

Note while the book calls for engine to come out for starter it can be replaced with engine in. Not that hard with engine in.

Good insight as my buddy has the same heat shield added.  When you mentioned motor out for starter did you mean to reference coolant line?  It seems (at least in the roadsters) it would be doable with the motor in the car due to slightly more visibility in that area but by no means easy... 

8 hours ago, x98boardwell said:

Good insight as my buddy has the same heat shield added.  When you mentioned motor out for starter did you mean to reference coolant line?  It seems (at least in the roadsters) it would be doable with the motor in the car due to slightly more visibility in that area but by no means easy... 

The coolant hose can be replaced on a coup or roadster with engine in. Every time removed a engine I would replace that hose is what I ment. Its easy with engine out. Kinda a pain with engine in, but can be done.